Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well I can't agree with copy 'n paste responses unless it's deadset obvious. Not only is it mindless, often wrong and dishonest, but it irks people like me who find their compositions bandied around as investigative articles compiled from exhaustive testing by Joe Bloggs internet mechanic and part time race fan extraordinaire.

If you're dong research to make sure you're giving out factual information before actually giving said information, and a site has a sentence or two that is exactly what you want to say already (which is often the case when trying to state something in plain english without a lot of superfluous verbiage), thena quick cut n paste is much more expedient than typing it all up again. If it's what you were going to say anyway (or close enough as to not make a difference) then it simply shouldn't be an issue.

Especially when knowledge like that (like the information What gave out) isn't "invented" by the site it's taken from, unlike your programming.

A lot of what we've learned, we learned from books on the subject before putting it into practice, so even if we said it in "our own words" it would most likely be a regurgitation of what we learned from said books, and probably identical in wording as we learned it.

If I give out advice here from my years of learning, do you want me to go back and reference everything I learned it from over the last few decades? Like when giving an answer, state specifically something like "as read in Motor's Manual for Imported cars, 1973, pg 27-28... and reinforced by a conversation in the pits at IMSA 3 hour race at SIR, May 27th, 1983 with crew chief for Joe Varde's Mazda RX3." That's how we get ALL our knowledge (unless we are inventing something completely new, and even then most of it is built off the work of others. Even your java applets are built off the work of the java language inventors and lessons you learned in how the language works...I mean, I could go out and find older applets that use a lot of your identical language. Things that you would have learned to build from...)

The point is, worrying or even making a point of pointing out identical information is only important if the information is wrong.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
PeteBobJoe
CF Newbie

Oh no he did the CTRL+C and CTRL+V...oh no the world is going to end...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #18
Wally
I Know More Than You

Give it up guys. You all know that copying someone elses work and presenting it as you own either implicitly or explicity is wrong. It creates a false impression that the person actually has independent thought. Searching the internet for a mere sentence that a 10 year old could come up with is hardly economical nor particularly indicitive of intelligence is it? Now really it isn't, is it?

Some of the nonsense logic defending such action is just plain ridiculous. It's like saying the alphabet exists so no one has a right to protect their poetry, songs, novels, software, etc.
viz:
Quote:
Even your java applets are built off the work of the java language inventors and lessons you learned in how the language works...I mean, I could go out and find older applets that use a lot of your identical language.

and if I was using canned routines I would have to pay for them. And no, you would not find applets that are like mine, because I use my own declarations, variables, mathematical formula to suite the structure. If you have done any C, C++, Delphi, VBasic, Java you would not be making that comment.

Last edited by Wally : 04-04-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #19
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Give it up guys. You all know that copying someone elses work and presenting it as you own either implicitly or explicity is wrong. It creates a false impression that the person actually has independent thought. Searching the internet for a mere sentence that a 10 year old could come up with is hardly economical nor particularly indicitive of intelligence is it? Now really it isn't, is it?

Some of the nonsense logic defending such action is just plain ridiculous. It's like saying the alphabet exists so no one has a right to protect their poetry, songs, novels, software, etc.
viz:

and if I was using canned routines I would have to pay for them. And no, you would not find applets that are like mine, because I use my own declarations, variables, mathematical formula to suite the structure. If you have done any C, C++, Delphi, VBasic, Java you would not be making that comment.
Go VB! I know VB.NET and VB 6.0... good stuff!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #20
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Oh, knocik it off. You didn't invent any of the f*cking words you just use, so you plagerized. I'd be willing to be that most of that sentence structure had already been used somwhere before. And ANY time you tell someone any of the knowledge you learned, you will describe it just like it was described to you. Do you credit the person, day, and form you got that description in? F*ck off.

There's arrogance from knowledge, and then there's sanctimonious crap, and you crossed that line.

Quote:

I've programmed in most of those. Sorry, but you didn't invent a f*cking thing. Nor did you invent the equations you use. You have to use math that already exists or it won't work. Any if-then statments? That's ALREADY BEEN DONE. Simply by USING the language, you will use language that's already BEEN used. Whether it was canned or not, someone has laready used that combination of lines of code in something else. Not all of it, but parts. Unless you also invented java or C++, or are using your own language that is incompatible wtih any other system.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #21
Wally
I Know More Than You

Gee you must have an exposed nerve. I must investigate the cause of this

Abuse will not make you right. You are wrong I am right and everyone knows it. Now it's just a matter of how much you want the world to know how much contempt you have for intellectual property and personal knowledge.

Of course you didn't write that last post, because
Quote:
. .... ANY time you tell someone any of the knowledge you learned, you will describe it just like it was described to you

Why are you carrying the gauntlet on this? Are you trying to piss all over it just to get a rise from me? I am not a threat to you (well not to date), but if you want me to be I can oblige. It will take a lot more than schoolyard bullyboy antics to get me riled.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Ah, the good old days.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #23
Wally
I Know More Than You

Yeah, but the last bloke we gave the rounds to took his bat and ball and went home. Has the CarForums entropy cycle been fulfilled? Have we become an homogenised inert group? ....nah, not me, not you VWHobo and heaven forbid ChrisV looses his ability to ferret the internet for substantive content to corroborate his obviously wrong arguments.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Yeah, but the last bloke we gave the rounds to took his bat and ball and went home. Has the CarForums entropy cycle been fulfilled? Have we become an homogenised inert group? ....nah, not me, not you VWHobo and heaven forbid ChrisV looses his ability to ferret the internet for substantive content to corroborate his obviously wrong arguments.

WTF?

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #25
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Most of the time I have absolutelly no idea what you're saying, Wally lol....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #26
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It's a new type of post-whoring JP
Old 04-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

Cliffy did you ever read "The Compleet Molesworth"?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #28
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
WTF?
DSMer
Old 04-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #29
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
DSMer
WTF?

Quote:
Cliffy did you ever read "The Compleet Molesworth"?
Who? lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #30
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:

GODDAMNIT I hate it when people make this mistake. The damn service advisors always write "xx tire is loosing air, check for leak". Its LOSE, LOSES, LOSING etc etc. "Loose" means that something is not secured tightly.

Please MAKE A NOTE OF IT.