Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Suzuki GSX-R1000 > Hennessy Viper

You know, i've always wondered, why do people buy cars if they want to go fast? If they want extreme speed,w hy don';t they buy a motorcycle? A stock GSX-R1000 beats any stock prodution car out there in the quarter. ANY production car.

Hell, the R1000 takes on a lingenfelter/hennessy tuned car. why do people go for cars like this one;

or this one;

When a stock 10,000 bike, or even the most expensive, a 30,000 bike;

can take the fastest car out there in the quarter? what gives? Do people just want to go fast and have a daily driver at the same time? Or is it all a horsepower game?

here's a list of some times;
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

Someone point out the flaw in my understanding, as I have to be wrong somewhere.

Last edited by Godlaus : 04-04-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

A number of reasons, the primary one being the ability to be used in inclement weather, and the lack of need of wearing a helmet in a car.

I've had a sport bike, ridden a number of bikes (including a road racing CBR), and I've decided that a car is a MUCH better overall platofrm for performance on the street. Less likelihood of injury, easier to carry a passenger when you feel like it, no worries if you get caught out in the rain, no "helmet head" when you arrive at work or at the restaurant, etc. Cars don't fall over just because you're trying to turn at low speeds in gravel parking lot or because you got a little wide in the corner and hit one of those center dots... or because there was a tiny patch of ice or water right at the apex to the corner... You don't get your head snapped back because a damned bumblebee hits the center of your face shield at 100+ mph in a car...

Don't get me wrong. I love bikes. Absolute nutty performance available. Too many drawbacks, however.

I'd much rather have the performance car than an all out sportbike. Especially at this time of my life.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Like ChrisV already said, cars are a lot more practical and WAYY safer. Bikes don't have large trunks (if any at all), can only seat 1-2 people, can be riden only in fair conditions (unless your crazy), and do not have safety features such as seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
ToCkS
CF Newbie

Summed up: Practicality and Safety.
ToCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:13 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Already got the best answers. Also no room for groceries and other things, and it doesnt work that well as a family vehicle (some ppl want speed so they go for faster family sedans if they got kids).
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 AM   #6
enzo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostang104314
Like ChrisV already said, cars are a lot more practical and WAYY safer. Bikes don't have large trunks (if any at all), can only seat 1-2 people, can be riden only in fair conditions (unless your crazy), and do not have safety features such as seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc.
i don't think i'd want a seat belt if i laid my r6 over at 130mph. personally i dont want to be attached to my bike when it's rolling off a cliff.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

All things considered though, there are more ways to die on a bike.
And it's not really as comfortable to take someone for a cruise to show off your machine, is it?
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
All things considered though, there are more ways to die on a bike.
And it's not really as comfortable to take someone for a cruise to show off your machine, is it?
And You cant sleep on a bike.....Ok, I'll explain, somtimes, when you're driving home from work, you might feel a bit sleepy, in a car, rather than crash it, you could stop and recline the drivers seat, on a bike, you cant lol....Having said that though, I spose if the bike's powerfull enough you wont be falling asleep on it, will you?

Bikes also have no back seat...atleast not a back seat that's large enough for certain past times

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #9
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Already got the best answers. Also no room for groceries and other things, and it doesnt work that well as a family vehicle (some ppl want speed so they go for faster family sedans if they got kids).

But I think most people who own motorcycles also own cars. so for them, it doesn;t have to work as a family vehicle. They ride it when they like to go fast by themsleves. I like motorcycles because they are economical on gas plus you get to ride between the two lanes and pass all the cars in heavy traffic. That's the trade off for a risky ride.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_7702
But I think most people who own motorcycles also own cars. so for them, it doesn;t have to work as a family vehicle. They ride it when they like to go fast by themsleves. I like motorcycles because they are economical on gas plus you get to ride between the two lanes and pass all the cars in heavy traffic. That's the trade off for a risky ride.

Very true. Which is why I tried not to mention anything about practicality as a vehicle, as sports cars are no more practical, usually (though I'd pit the practicality of my sports car against any bike). A Viper isn't a family vehicle any more than a Hyabusa is.

But...

Most places it isn't legal to split lanes like you describe (it is in California, but no many other states). And as I've said, I've had sport bikes. Iv'e commuted on one and gone fast on one. But as speeds rise, teh danger to teh rider increases exponentially faster than it does in a fast car, especialy in dealing with the unexpected. And in dealing with depbris and road hazards. You have to spend so much energy watching out for cagers and debris that you really don't get to enjoy the ride as much. And any bike that you can kick back and really comfortably cruise on, loses the performance edge by a pretty good margin.

I'll have another bike, but I'l never shoot for ultimate performance with one.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Bikes also have no back seat...atleast not a back seat that's large enough for certain past times

Then you weren't doing it right...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Then you weren't doing it right...

lol, yeah, but somehow, I don't think the bike will stay balanced on it's little tripod.

Anyway, BTT. It's just that people brag about stuff like; "my TT viper does the quarter in 10.2!". Which is speed that they want. A R1 does it in 9.92. If it's speed and speed alone that they want, then they should go for a bike. If they want practicality, then they should get fast car.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
lol, yeah, but somehow, I don't think the bike will stay balanced on it's little tripod.

Anyway, BTT. It's just that people brag about stuff like; "my TT viper does the quarter in 10.2!". Which is speed that they want. A R1 does it in 9.92. If it's speed and speed alone that they want, then they should go for a bike. If they want practicality, then they should get fast car.

Well, there's still bragging rights to a fast car, because they are comparing to other fast cars. See you miss out, it's not just the number, but the number in a street car.

Otherwise, you might as well bring planes into the mix. A guy I met had bought an old Mig 21 for airshows. A $100k initial price, it costs about the same as a supercar, but hits around 700 mph.

But it's pretty hard to park in front of a swank restaurant...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-06-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Ya, your right about all that. And if your good there might be enough room and balance on a bike for certain past times and if not then you get better gas mileage then a car so you can easily travel to an empty area for more room.

"But it's pretty hard to park in front of a swank restaurant..."

Ya i'd say so but hey, its worth a try, you never know, NOT! There are some pretty nice bikes and if it wasnt for more risks i'd say i'd like to have one some day but i dont know if i'd feel safe enough.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #15
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Although bikes are very fast in a straight line, they are more fun in the twisties. They also get excellent gas mileage, are convertible, and extremely cheap - lots of power for your dollar. Also, in a car, 90% of the weight being moved is just metal. That's pretty inefficient.

All that plus I ride my bicycle everyday, so it only seems natural that I should buy one with a motor for long commutes and rides. And, dare I say, for chicks.

Last edited by abless : 04-06-2005 at 08:32 PM.
abless is offline   Reply With Quote