Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
paulb787
CF Newbie

K&N Air Filter Worth the Money???

I have a chevy 2001 camaro 3.8l V6 and waht to get this thing up there.. any ideas. i was also looking around discount auto parts today and noticed the K&N Air filters for about 80$. is that worth the money??
paulb787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
hajamie
CF Newbie

I don't really see how an air filter can be complex enough to warrent that sort of cash. its just a filter!

someone said to me you could drive around with no filter, that'd let the air in real well only you might get crud in your engine...

use a coffee filter!
(joke)
hajamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well all those guys that have shelled out $80 and found they make zip difference are hardly likely to tell you they got had are they? The real gains come from extending the air intake pipe (induction pipe if you like wanky speak) and in the process sucking cooler air.

You know there are very nice panel filter replacements some of the rally guys use instead of paper ones?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
paulb787
CF Newbie

what about upgrading to the Bosch +4 premium Spark plugs.
paulb787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well all those guys that have shelled out $80 and found they make zip difference are hardly likely to tell you they got had are they? The real gains come from extending the air intake pipe (induction pipe if you like wanky speak) and in the process sucking cooler air.

You know there are very nice panel filter replacements some of the rally guys use instead of paper ones?
You're wrong on this one Wally, but not for the reason you might think. On paper the K&N filter (and some of it's clones) give better protection and allow better airflow. I fully believe the former and am on the fence about the latter. Here's what seals the deal for me.

I just looked, and an average quality standard air filter for his car costs $11.88 and a K&N costs $62.88. Now do the math. If you replace your air filter every 10k miles,which is a reasonable average, the K&N pays for itself in less than 60k miles. I personally have one pair of K&N's that I bought new in '72 and have had them on SEVERAL cars. Actually they've become a tradition for me which I've recently passed on to my son.

So... from a cost standpoint the K&N can be very effective. The choice is yours.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Fair enough.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #7
83transam
Banned

I dono if this is correct or not but i hear that K&N air filters help gas mileage, and also add a couple hourse power
83transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i was also on the fence on the K&N situation, and i would highly reccomend for anything., Unless it has a MAF sensor, just like blowby contamination i am a firm believer that K&N recharge oil can contaminate the sensor. in that case maybe go with FRAM airhog or another product that is just a dry paper filter. i dunno i could be wrong but thats my story and im sticking to it, im sure HOBO will inform me i am incorrect, he's good for that and i appreciate it too.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
hajamie
CF Newbie

I'm pretty sure my car has a MAP sensor, is that summat different?
hajamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajamie
I'm pretty sure my car has a MAP sensor, is that summat different?

MAP sensor is on the manifold. MAF would be next to the filter on the intake pipe.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
carls47807
CF Freak

vwhomo:

The way i see it it costs you 9.99 per recharge kit (i'm sure you could use some type of soap and motor oil but the regular person buys this kit). The regular purolator filter is 11.88 or something, so you are saving about 2 bucks every 10k, and you start at ~53 dollars in the hole. so that means you need to go 450,000 miles to have it start paying for itself.

(that is of course if you don't count whatever such other gains come along with this filter i.e. performance)

i'm certainly open in this matter, what do you think?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #12
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i think starting the conversation of with "VWHOMO" he probably won't say a damn thing to you....just my opinion
Old 04-16-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
carls47807
CF Freak

vwhoBo:

The way i see it it costs you 9.99 per recharge kit (i'm sure you could use some type of soap and motor oil but the regular person buys this kit). The regular purolator filter is 11.88 or something, so you are saving about 2 bucks every 10k, and you start at ~53 dollars in the hole. so that means you need to go 450,000 miles to have it start paying for itself.

(that is of course if you don't count whatever such other gains come along with this filter i.e. performance)

maybe now i can hear his words of wisdumb. just kidding, i admit he knows his shit. but i admit i do too.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
vwhoBo:

maybe now i can hear his words of wisdumb. just kidding, i admit he knows his shit. but i admit i do too.
A $10 recharge kit is good for about 20 cleanings. More to the point, unlike a paper or foam filter a K&N filter actually works better with some use so you don't want to clean it as often as you would change a standard filter. Even living in the desert a recharge kit will last an easy 100k miles. And if you're like me and can make a car last or are willing to transfer parts from one to another you can get years of use. Remember, I've had one pair of K&N's for over 30 years. Do you think I got my money out of them? I do.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:42 AM   #15
carls47807
CF Freak

ahh, see i didn't know how many times you could reuse them. up here in central new york, the bodies rust so fast i've switched my acclaim drivetrain over twice. maybe i will look into this.

for the average, lazy, potato chip eating, soda binging american i would have to say they wouldn't reap the benefits.

so i'm bitter.