Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
stresstime
CF Newbie

'93 pontiac sunbird help

Hi. My name is Renee and I (sadly) drive a '93 Pontiac Sunbird. I recently had the heater core, timing belt and water pump replaced. Then I had to take her back in last week and had to get the pvc hose and oxygen sensor replaced. Cost me over seven hundred dollars in all and my stupid car isn't even worth that much. Anyway, when the oxygen sensor was replaced a week later the car started up the symptoms that I took it in for in the first place again; starting rough, taking off rough, running smooth for a few minutes, then the acceleration feels like I'm pressing the gas and letting off over and over. Took it back in and they said the oxygen sensor they'd put in was bad so they replaced it for free. They also did a diagnostic check on it and said nothing else was wrong. It's doing it again but my temp gage is floating from lowest point to near red mark and back down to the one fourth mark and when I parked the car and turned it off at my son's school I noticed white smoke coming from the tailpipe and smelled antifreeze. The car is running okay after the initial clunky start and take off but the temp gage is making me so nervous that I was shaking when I finally got home. I have a crack in the reservoir tank but it's filled by me to the appropriate mark frequently and it's barely leaking. I've read on the net that the coolant temp sensor could cause all of this but the words head gasket have come up too. Would the diagnostic test have picked up these two problems? The problem only starts after I've driven on and off during the day a total of seven or eight miles. Please give me advice! My mechanic isn't fixing the problem!
stresstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

have the plugs checked for white residue or a compression test for head gasket as for the temp could be air in the cooling system

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:13 AM   #3
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

93 sunbird with a 3.1 engine I'm assuming, if so, I can 99.9% guarantee to you that it's the head gasket. To check you could do a compression test, or, take out the front 3 plugs and get a light and take a look inside. With a 3.1 engine, the pistons have a bowl, that bowl will hold the coolant, so it should be easy to spot. The rear, the only way to check is with a compression test. You can also just take a look at the plugs, white means coolant.

Sounds like the end of your car, sorry.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
93 sunbird with a 3.1 engine I'm assuming, if so, I can 99.9% guarantee to you that it's the head gasket. To check you could do a compression test, or, take out the front 3 plugs and get a light and take a look inside. With a 3.1 engine, the pistons have a bowl, that bowl will hold the coolant, so it should be easy to spot. The rear, the only way to check is with a compression test. You can also just take a look at the plugs, white means coolant.

Yeah, she has a timing belt put on her 3.1 liter, V6, OHV engine. Last I checked the only '93 Sunbirds with timing belts had 2.0 SOHC engines.

Your "help" would be so much more believable if you had some idea of what you were talking about. I don't know where you get your information, but... Take it back for a refund.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yeah, she has a timing belt put on her 3.1 liter, V6, OHV engine. Last I checked the only '93 Sunbirds with timing belts had 2.0 SOHC engines.

Your "help" would be so much more believable if you had some idea of what you were talking about. I don't know where you get your information, but... Take it back for a refund.

You do realize that a timing belt and chain serve the same purpose and are easily mis-taken for eachother, right? No, didn't think so.

Also, if I remember correctly, I believe the 2.0's are interference engines, but not positive.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
You do realize that a timing belt and chain serve the same purpose and are easily mis-taken for eachother, right? No, didn't think so.
Yes, they serve esentially the same purpose in most engines. No, they aren't easily mistaken for each other... Except by those of you who have never seen or touched either. Here's an easy to remember tip. Timing chains are made of steel. Timing belts are not. Simple, huh?

You would gain alot more credibility (well some maybe) if when you are wrong you just admitted it instead of coming up with crap like this last post. Try it sometime.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Yes, they serve esentially the same purpose in most engines. No, they aren't easily mistaken for each other... Except by those of you who have never seen or touched either. Here's an easy to remember tip. Timing chains are made of steel. Timing belts are not. Simple, huh?

You would gain alot more credibility (well some maybe) if when you are wrong you just admitted it instead of coming up with crap like this last post. Try it sometime.

Hahaha, you're laughable. "essentially the same purpose" Okay then, last time I checked, they both run the camshaft(s) and are driven by the crank, wow, you're a smart one aren't you? Same purpose if I'm not mistaken.

've taken apart more engines than you've probably seen,. I've re-built two (well, in the process of one, 3.1, which has a chain) engines for myself, + the others at work, working on a 350 at work for a 73 (I think) Stingray. Despite what you may think Mr. "I'm all high and mighty and think I know everything", lots of people mistake a belt for a chain, especially someone who doesn't know everything about engine, ie. The person who's asking a question.

Shut up while you're ahead.. well, so you're not ahead, shut up anyway because no body wants to hear your bitching and ragging about pointless things, go away, act your age, get a life.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 04-08-2005 at 03:39 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Hahaha, you're laughable. I've taken apart more engines than you've probably seen,. I've re-built two (well, in the process of one, 3.1, which has a chain) engines for myself, + the others at work, working on a 350 at work for a 73 (I think) Stingray. Despite what you may think Mr. "I'm all high and mighty and think I know everything", lots of people mistake a belt for a chain, especially someone who doesn't know everything about engine, ie. The person who's asking a question.

Shut up while you're ahead.. well, so you're not ahead, shut up anyway because no body wants to hear your bitching and ragging about pointless things, go away, act your age, get a life.
You made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants. You're in the process of rebuilding your second engine. Hoopty freakin' doo. I average one engine a week for customers at the locla dirt track. I build everything from little two cylinders for cars you've never heard of to Detroit big blocks for drag racers and street rods. Let's not forget my own racing and street cars and the occasional motorcycle engine. By the way, did I mention I used to be a production engine builder as a teenager building up to four engines a day?

Yeah, you've got way more experience than me Boopsie. You need to get out of Canuck land and find out there's a real world out there, eh? Please go home now, your village is calling. They miss their idiot.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #9
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
You made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants. You're in the process of rebuilding your second engine. Hoopty freakin' doo. I average one engine a week for customers at the locla dirt track. I build everything from little two cylinders for cars you've never heard of to Detroit big blocks for drag racers and street rods. Let's not forget my own racing and street cars and the occasional motorcycle engine. By the way, did I mention I used to be a production engine builder as a teenager building up to four engines a day?

Yeah, you've got way more experience than me Boopsie. You need to get out of Canuck land and find out there's a real world out there, eh? Please go home now, your village is calling. They miss their idiot.

Wow, who's the idiot now. I said second engine for myself, not second engine. All I need is pistons and it's done.

Don't forget to tell us the story of how you leaped rainbows with Lucky and chased unicorns in Neverland. By the sounds of it, I'd bet you're no older than 15. No grown adult would act as immature as yourself.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:34 AM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:

a blown head gasket is hardly the end of a car...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
a blown head gasket is hardly the end of a car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstime
Cost me over seven hundred dollars in all and my stupid car isn't even worth that much.

Enough said.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:41 AM   #12
dodger65

Quote:
Enough said.

may as well throw good money after bad

she's just going to the wrong mechanics

Old 04-08-2005, 04:47 AM   #13
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
may as well throw good money after bad

she's just going to the wrong mechanics

Not necessarily. The head gasket could have easily been blown after the O2 sensor was replaced, there probably was a problem with the O2 sensor, and the two just happened in succession, so it looks like the mechanic doesn't know what he's doing, when really he does. Happens quite often in the world of mechanics.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #14
dodger65

Quote:
Not necessarily. The head gasket could have easily been blown after the O2 sensor was replaced, there probably was a problem with the O2 sensor, and the two just happened in succession, so it looks like the mechanic doesn't know what he's doing, when really he does. Happens quite often in the world of mechanics.

her mechanic could also easily be an idiot. for every good one, it seems like there's 5 "parts-changers" our opinions differ. seems like an awful big coincidence for it to daisy-chain along like that. the heater core and water pump replacement makes it sound like they were looking for a overheating problem to begin with, maybe.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
stresstime
CF Newbie

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Lol...figures there's an argument on my post. I will get a friend of mine to check about the head gasket thing when he gets a chance. Until then I'll just drive very little.
stresstime is offline   Reply With Quote