Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #16
CarEXPERT
Banned

when you "rebuild a engine" what parts are you replacing.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #17
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
put some money away for a tow bill! you'll need it. YOU WILL make the problem worse by driving it, as is you might be able to save the motor, keep driving and it will for sure 100% need a new motor, not shittin ya here.don't be stupid....or be stupid your choice your money.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #18
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
when you "rebuild a engine" what parts are you replacing.

Anything that requires replacing.. Crank, Cam, Pistons, Rods, Lifters, Pushrods, Valve Springs.. those are just some of the common ones.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Anything that requires replacing.. Crank, Cam, Pistons, Rods, Lifters, Pushrods, Valve Springs.. those are just some of the common ones.

When the engine has a lot of milage on it, you can rebuild it so everything is new again? Is that why people rebuild engines?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #20
stresstime
CF Newbie

I was just wondering if anybody could give me an estimation of how much a mechanic would charge to fix the blown head gasket? I was thinking around a thousand dollars but someone told me it's a one day job. So wouldn't that mean the labor is like 99% of the cost? We are in the process of buying a house and I really don't want to add a new car payment to that right now. Later on when we're more settled it would be better.
stresstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #21
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstime
I was just wondering if anybody could give me an estimation of how much a mechanic would charge to fix the blown head gasket? I was thinking around a thousand dollars but someone told me it's a one day job. So wouldn't that mean the labor is like 99% of the cost? We are in the process of buying a house and I really don't want to add a new car payment to that right now. Later on when we're more settled it would be better.

any of you shop-owning folks got an answer for the lady?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
any of you shop-owning folks got an answer for the lady?
Nope. Professional courtesy says you don't drop quotes for other shops. More to the point we don't know where she lives, what engine (for sure) she has or if the car even needs the repair. Homey don't play that game.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #23
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
When the engine has a lot of milage on it, you can rebuild it so everything is new again? Is that why people rebuild engines?

In a sort, yes. People usually re-build engines because they can't find another, for instance the misses here with the sunbird, she wouldn't get the engine re-built, she'd just get a used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstime

Well, depends on which head-gasket it is. The front one I can do in 4 hours, so 4 x 50(shop rate) + $80 (parts) = $280. Rear one on the other hand is quite a bit harder, you actually have to remove the intake manifold (you can just pry up the intake with a crobar for the front, so you don't have to replace the gasket or waste time taking it off) it'd probably be another hour or 2 for the rear one. Depends on the shop you go to, you're probably looking at 8 hours labour, so $400, and $100 max in parts, so $500 at most probably.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #24
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well, depends on which head-gasket it is. The front one I can do in 4 hours, so 4 x 50(shop rate) + $80 (parts) = $280. Rear one on the other hand is quite a bit harder, you actually have to remove the intake manifold (you can just pry up the intake with a crobar for the front, so you don't have to replace the gasket or waste time taking it off) it'd probably be another hour or 2 for the rear one. Depends on the shop you go to, you're probably looking at 8 hours labour, so $400, and $100 max in parts, so $500 at most probably.
Oh yeah, who said something about hacks? In that one sentence you just proved EVERYTHING I've ever said about you. People like you are the reason my industry has to work so f*cking hard to improve it's image.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #25
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Oh yeah, who said something about hacks? In that one sentence you just proved EVERYTHING I've ever said about you. People like you are the reason my industry has to work so f*cking hard to improve it's image.

You're an idiot. Aluminum is flexible, it only has to flex about 1mm to get it out. How is that a hack? You've probably never even worked on one before. When it comes to anything to do with the 3.1/2.8's, I'm the guy they get to work on it, despite the fact that they have more than 30years experience on me, those engines are my specialty. I've taken so many of them apart it's not even funny. I've done at least 15 head gaskets on them, and completely stripped about id say 8 or 9. You do realize also when you un-bolt the head, that the only thing holding it in is the pressure from the intake, all you have to do is slide it out after you remove the pressure. Save the customer about $100 by doing that, But of course you realize that since you're so smart and generous.

Only speak when you know what you're talking about.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 04-11-2005 at 12:20 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #26
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
You're an idiot. Aluminum is flexible, it only has to flex about 1mm to get it out. How is that a hack? You've probably never even worked on one before. When it comes to anything to do with the 3.1/2.8's, I'm the guy they get to work on it, despite the fact that they have more than 30years experience on me, those engines are my specialty. I've taken so many of them apart it's not even funny. I've done at least 15 head gaskets on them, and completely stripped about id say 8 or 9. You do realize also when you un-bolt the head, that the only thing holding it in is the pressure from the intake, all you have to do is slide it out after you remove the pressure. Save the customer about $100 by doing that, But of course you realize that since you're so smart and generous.

Only speak when you know what you're talking about.

speaking of that... how many times has someone else had to go in and put an intake gasket on after A) you distorted the intake gasket b/c you ripped the head off w/ the pins still in the gasket, B) the pins sheared off flush or made it out whole, but you shifted the gasket while reinstalling the head and created a vacuum leak, or C) the customer came back pissed b/c the dry, brittle sealer in the valley area cracked when you "flexed" the intake and it leaks on their driveway now? you gotta admit, that's a really halfass way to do it, and you're just begging for trouble. maybe your shop does it that way, but it's not the correct way.

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 AM   #27
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
speaking of that... how many times has someone else had to go in and put an intake gasket on after A) you distorted the intake gasket b/c you ripped the head off w/ the pins still in the gasket, B) the pins sheared off flush or made it out whole, but you shifted the gasket while reinstalling the head and created a vacuum leak, or C) the customer came back pissed b/c the dry, brittle sealer in the valley area cracked when you "flexed" the intake and it leaks on their driveway now? you gotta admit, that's a really halfass way to do it, and you're just begging for trouble. maybe your shop does it that way, but it's not the correct way.

Man, people don't post and rag if you don't know what you're talking about.

A) There are no pins in an intake gasket
B) The rest of the intake gasket held down by the intake manifold, so it can't shift.
C) Have you ever heard of silicone? Didn't think so.

I've worked on a lot more of these than you ever have and ever will, don't rag on me for how I do it. We've never had a problem with the way we do it, and this shop has been in buisness for about 40 years now, idependantly run, and has and income of about $600,000 a year off 3 workers. So I think the customers are quite satisfied.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 AM   #28
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Nope... Sorry... You're wrong. He doesn't have to admit anything. He's so deep in denial about his fantasy online persona that he wants us to believe that at just barely 17 years of age he knows more than people who have dedicated their lives to a trade for more than 30 years. He is the King Grand Poobah of All Things Automotive even though he still doesn't have hair on his gonads.

88GrandPrixSE, with every word of every post you type, you dig yourself just a little deeper into your mineshaft of stupidity and unbelievability. If you had half a brain I would suggest to you that you stop now while you're ahead. Being as you're post-op labotomy, I won't waste the bandwidth. Please just go find another forum to tell people how great you are.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #29
carls47807
CF Freak

hmm

i've argued with vwhobo before, but you have to admit you can tell he and others know what they are doing. I would like to see you "crow bar" in your head gasket and have a final product that lasts as long as either of your "two" rebuilt engines. How do you plan on cleaning the block and head?

You clearly do not own a repair garage so don't throw around your estimates like they actually mean anything. it's people like you who give poor people bad information, and end up costing them a lot of money.

now, i have to go put a new water pump in my 65 corvair, peace.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #30
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
i've argued with vwhobo before, but you have to admit you can tell he and others know what they are doing. I would like to see you "crow bar" in your head gasket and have a final product that lasts as long as either of your "two" rebuilt engines. How do you plan on cleaning the block and head?

You clearly do not own a repair garage so don't throw around your estimates like they actually mean anything. it's people like you who give poor people bad information, and end up costing them a lot of money.

now, i have to go put a new water pump in my 65 corvair, peace.
Don't forget to flush the radiator too.