Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #31
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Man, people don't post and rag if you don't know what you're talking about.

A) There are no pins in an intake gasket
B) The rest of the intake gasket held down by the intake manifold, so it can't shift.
C) Have you ever heard of silicone? Didn't think so.

I've worked on a lot more of these than you ever have and ever will, don't rag on me for how I do it. We've never had a problem with the way we do it, and this shop has been in buisness for about 40 years now, idependantly run, and has and income of about $600,000 a year off 3 workers. So I think the customers are quite satisfied.

ok, we now know that you are full of it right up to your eyeballs. first off: don't talk to me about the GM 60deg V6, spanky-- i've fixed & rebuilt more of them than you have even seen. you should really be careful about claims you make on this forum, b/c you reveal yourself as a liar. i honestly don't think you could even hold a match, let alone a candle to hobo in experience. secondly:
A) a fwd gm 60deg intake DOES have pins, and you would know that if you'd ever had one apart.
B) "The rest of the intake gasket held down by the intake manifold" wtf does that mean? i'm talking about the half of the gasket that's free floating while you have the head off, not the half that's still bolted up. or do you just count on the years of accumulated carbon & sludge buildup to hold the gasket up against the intake while you scrape the head clean w/ a dull flathead screwdriver?
C) that is still a very risky way to seal an intake, by glopping a handful of silicone over crusty, oily RTV and expecting it to seal and you know it b/c now you're blaming the shop for telling you to do it that way.

now stop throwing poo, and if you offer people half-assed, shoestring, broke-d*ck ways of doing things, at least own up to the fact that it's not the recommended, sure-fire way to do things right the first time, every time.

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 AM   #32
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
when you "rebuild a engine" what parts are you replacing.

A re-build is usually more than replacing parts. Components such as the block and heads are inspected for stress cracks, Machine shop work is done to ensure proper clearances and alignment or to allow replacement of severely worn parts. Much of the work done by the machine shop depends on the condition of the engine.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #33
carls47807
CF Freak

88grandprix just changes the sparkplugs and radiator cap.

nah i'm just kiddin, all in good fun right?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #34
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
A re-build is usually more than replacing parts. Components such as the block and heads are inspected for stress cracks, Machine shop work is done to ensure proper clearances and alignment or to allow replacement of severely worn parts. Much of the work done by the machine shop depends on the condition of the engine.
DAMNIT. I won't stand for this. 88GrandPrixSE says you just replace parts and he's rebuilt more engines than everyone else on earth put together. You will apologise now to the King Grand Poobah of All Things Automotive. Hurry up!

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #35
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
DAMNIT. I won't stand for this. 88GrandPrixSE says you just replace parts and he's rebuilt more engines than everyone else on earth put together. You will apologise now to the King Grand Poobah of All Things Automotive. Hurry up!

you'd better do it, too

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:06 AM   #36
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
ok, we now know that you are full of it right up to your eyeballs. first off: don't talk to me about the GM 60deg V6, spanky-- i've fixed & rebuilt more of them than you have even seen. you should really be careful about claims you make on this forum, b/c you reveal yourself as a liar. i honestly don't think you could even hold a match, let alone a candle to hobo in experience. secondly:
A) a fwd gm 60deg intake DOES have pins, and you would know that if you'd ever had one apart.
B) "The rest of the intake gasket held down by the intake manifold" wtf does that mean? i'm talking about the half of the gasket that's free floating while you have the head off, not the half that's still bolted up. or do you just count on the years of accumulated carbon & sludge buildup to hold the gasket up against the intake while you scrape the head clean w/ a dull flathead screwdriver?
C) that is still a very risky way to seal an intake, by glopping a handful of silicone over crusty, oily RTV and expecting it to seal and you know it b/c now you're blaming the shop for telling you to do it that way.

now stop throwing poo, and if you offer people half-assed, shoestring, broke-d*ck ways of doing things, at least own up to the fact that it's not the recommended, sure-fire way to do things right the first time, every time.

When moderating a forum I try not to take sides or jump in the middle of discussions but I do have a comment and agree with VW and dodger65 - The shop manual for a GM 3.1 calls for removing the intake and exhaust manifolds as a pre-requisite for pulling the heads. I have no problems with finding quick ways of doing things. There are, however, procedures which are written to do some tasks and should be followed to ensure a jobe is done right.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 AM   #37
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
When moderating a forum I try not to take sides or jump in the middle of discussions but I do have a comment and agree with VW and dodger65 - The shop manual for a GM 3.1 calls for removing the intake and exhaust manifolds as a pre-requisite for pulling the heads. I have no problems with finding quick ways of doing things. There are, however, procedures which are written to do some tasks and should be followed to ensure a jobe is done right.
And don't forget, the engine isn't even a 3.1, because... According to the owner she just had the t-belt replaced. Do you (or anyone) know of any GM 3.1's with a t-belt?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #38
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

True statement - a 3.1 has a chain

If the car had a timing belt replaced, it must have been a 2.0 L4 Most of the time (some imports being an exception), one would pull the intake before removing the head.

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 04-11-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #39
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65

Nows when I break out the pictures of the 3.1 I'm re-building.

A) No it doesn't, refer to pictures of intake

B) First off, you remove the head to clean it off, man, I like how you claim to know so much, yet, don't realize something as simple as the head has to be removed to clean it, not to mention placing a head-gasket on the block. How would you place a head-gask on the block without removing the head?

I won't even comment on the intake gasket for you should know that they're made of a very stiff composite if you've ever taken one apart before.

C) You scrape off the intake with a razor blade before putting any silicone on it. Do you not realize that silicone won't stick to oil? Guess not.

Wow.. look at all the pins in the intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990 3100 GM Motor_0014.JPG (85.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #40
carls47807
CF Freak

i would love to see pics of your two engine rebuilds, for my own benefit.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #41
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
i would love to see pics of your two engine rebuilds, for my own benefit.

I have only the finished ones of my car, the ones below, you think it came outta a car looking that good? But I have more of my current one if you like, I have the head gasket in about 5 different shots, pictures of the head, the cyl with coolant in it.. blah blah blah, I have about 40 in all i'd say.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #42
carls47807
CF Freak

haha

foot in my mouth on the last post though, you actually had the balls to post a pic as i was writing it. crazy world.

however man, that has to be one of the worst pictures of anything i have ever seen. honestly, it almost looks like my dog. a more detailed pic would be nice. oh yea and where's the crow bar and timing belt?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:06 AM   #43
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

The car is probably a 2.0L L4 if the timing belt was replaced.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #44
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807

foot in my mouth on the last post though, you actually had the balls to post a pic as i was writing it. crazy world.

however man, that has to be one of the worst pictures of anything i have ever seen. honestly, it almost looks like my dog. a more detailed pic would be nice. oh yea and where's the crow bar and timing belt?

Haha, it's all done with a small webcam, so quality is somewhat...crappy. You want a picture of the crobar? It has a chain. I also tossed the chain, I would never put the same chain in an engine, they're cheap to replace, better than chancing it blowing up on me.

Quote:
The car is probably a 2.0L L4 if the timing belt was replaced.

Probably. I just said at the start that she may have mis-taken it for a chain, as it's quite easy to do so. But then vwhomo comes in and bitches saying it's impossible to mistake one from another. Around here anyway, more Sunbirds had the V6 engine over the I-4. So fair assumption, no?

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 04-11-2005 at 04:09 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 AM   #45
carls47807
CF Freak

gears

i would hope you tossed the gears too. you would never want to put a new chain on old gears, it's better to leave the old chain on if that's the case rock-star.