Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 01:59 AM   #1
dalearmstrong
CF Newbie

Question transmission

i have a 95 s10 2.2 with auto trans? at times when you start it up it will take off normally! then other times you start it up and take off it acts like it start off in second and wont shift into low or overdrive? dale
dalearmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
gearbox
CF Newbie

not the tranny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearmstrong
i have a 95 s10 2.2 with auto trans? at times when you start it up it will take off normally! then other times you start it up and take off it acts like it start off in second and wont shift into low or overdrive? dale
your trans is probably ok. there is something going on with the electrical outside the tranny that is cutting the power to it. with no fire getting to it you will only have 2nd and 3rd. you can find the problem by scanning it but a scanner will only pick it up if it is acting up or if the computer set a "hard code" good luck!!
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
your trans is probably ok. there is something going on with the electrical outside the tranny that is cutting the power to it. with no fire getting to it you will only have 2nd and 3rd. you can find the problem by scanning it but a scanner will only pick it up if it is acting up or if the computer set a "hard code" good luck!!
HuH? My tranny needs fire to work? That sounds dangerous. WTF?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
gearbox
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
HuH? My tranny needs fire to work? That sounds dangerous. WTF?
a 95 s10 tranny is controled by the trucks computer. the "fire" is the electrical current from the comp to the trans
Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
a 95 s10 tranny is controled by the trucks computer. the "fire" is the electrical current from the comp to the trans
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. However, if the transmission isn't getting any "fire" (what a stupid term) from the PCM, some or none of the shift solenoids will operate therefore you can't make the blanket statement that "you will only have 2nd and 3rd". Well, you can make the statement but you'd be wrong.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:47 AM   #6
gearbox
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. However, if the transmission isn't getting any "fire" (what a stupid term) from the PCM, some or none of the shift solenoids will operate therefore you can't make the blanket statement that "you will only have 2nd and 3rd". Well, you can make the statement but you'd be wrong.
im sure your also "well aware" of the fact that out of all the solenoids in this trans, only 2 control the shifts. when the "fire" is cut off it goes into limp mode and that leaves you with 2nd and 3rd. no "fire" needed!