Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Conduce
CF Newbie

Question Replacing wierd sized radios

I'm wondering... How do you replace radios in cars that are larger or odd shapped. For example, the Mazda Protege 02-03 has a double tall size radio. Also the ford explorer, in fact most newer cars have either double DIN sized radios such as the protege or even wierd shaped such as the ford contour.

Do I have to buy a radio that is double DIN size or is there like a filler thing I can buy to fill the extra space
Conduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conduce
I'm wondering... How do you replace radios in cars that are larger or odd shapped. For example, the Mazda Protege 02-03 has a double tall size radio. Also the ford explorer, in fact most newer cars have either double DIN sized radios such as the protege or even wierd shaped such as the ford contour.

Do I have to buy a radio that is double DIN size or is there like a filler thing I can buy to fill the extra space
Free stereo installation tip of the week. Purchase all of your car stereo equipment from http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Avytr73qKwt/ . All you have to do is buy the head unit and it will come with the adaptor cable and the appropriate filler/spacer/adaptor thing to make it fit the dash. They also provide the best step by step removal and installation instuctions anywhere You're welcome.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:40 AM   #3
Conduce
CF Newbie

actually I just found this site an hour ago... Great place.

Any reccommendation as to which brands are good for stuff?

Is Kenwood an OK brand (it seems they pretty much dominate 90% of what my car can have in it).
Conduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:02 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
actually I just found this site an hour ago... Great place.

Any reccommendation as to which brands are good for stuff?

Is Kenwood an OK brand (it seems they pretty much dominate 90% of what my car can have in it).
I personally prefer Kenwood and have used their equipment for years in my cars along with Bazooka sub-woofers. Even my home sound system is Kenwood, I think you get a great bang for your buck. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand equipment nowadays. It's a matter of picking out what you like based on price range, features and even cosmetics.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-10-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I should also add that Crutchfield ships RIGHT NOW and offers 24/7 telephone and online product (including intallation) support.

They should pay me for this thread.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

hobo?! is that advertising?!?!?! haha., j/k
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:09 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
hobo?! is that advertising?!?!?! haha., j/k
If my post count was seven or something I'd say most assuredly yes.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

haha, ok... il let it go for that reason alone... haha
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

You can buy Double Din or just by an adapter for a single DIN unit to fit in a DD bay. An adapter is like $10-$20 and can be picked up from your local car audio place (NOT circuit city/best buy...an ACTUAL Car Audio place).

I think this is the one time Hobo and I will disagree on something. I strongly recommend NOT buying from Crutchfield as they are just as bad (on prices) as any retail store is (ala circuit city/best buy). I recommend getting your HU from www.ikesound.com or www.onlinecarstereo.com . They both have MUCH better prices than Crutchfield. For instance...

ikesound price first then crutchfield price

Panasonic 7000 series - $169/$259
Alpine 9830 - $215/$249
Alpine 9851 - $233/$279
Pioneer 6700 - $159/$219
Pioneer 7700 - $195/$269

On average you save quite a few bucks.

Believe it or not I'll have to disagree with Hobo not only once but twice in a single post. Kenwood *was* a good audio manufacturer but they have gone WAY too mainstream coughSONYcough and pretty much are considered a 'budget' maker in the car audio world now. Their HU's are just so-so and are pale in comparison to the best HU's out there made by Alpine,Pioneer,Eclipse and Panasonic. Right now the best bang/buck HU maker is by far Panasonic. Anymore questions, just ask.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You can buy Double Din or just by an adapter for a single DIN unit to fit in a DD bay. An adapter is like $10-$20 and can be picked up from your local car audio place (NOT circuit city/best buy...an ACTUAL Car Audio place).

I think this is the one time Hobo and I will disagree on something. I strongly recommend NOT buying from Crutchfield as they are just as bad (on prices) as any retail store is (ala circuit city/best buy). I recommend getting your HU from www.ikesound.com or www.onlinecarstereo.com . They both have MUCH better prices than Crutchfield. For instance...

ikesound price first then crutchfield price

Panasonic 7000 series - $169/$259
Alpine 9830 - $215/$249
Alpine 9851 - $233/$279
Pioneer 6700 - $159/$219
Pioneer 7700 - $195/$269

On average you save quite a few bucks.

Believe it or not I'll have to disagree with Hobo not only once but twice in a single post. Kenwood *was* a good audio manufacturer but they have gone WAY too mainstream coughSONYcough and pretty much are considered a 'budget' maker in the car audio world now. Their HU's are just so-so and are pale in comparison to the best HU's out there made by Alpine,Pioneer,Eclipse and Panasonic. Right now the best bang/buck HU maker is by far Panasonic. Anymore questions, just ask.
Duly noted. There is but one fly in your ointment. Niether of the sites you provided are authorized dealers for the equipment they sell (read the fine print). That's only one reason the prices seem better. The other is that they're selling obsolete stuff, the C7301U has been off the market for a couple of years now for example.

That being said, if you want superior service and the newest models shop Crutchfield. If you want discontinued models, remanufactured audio equipment and a shady warranty, but from the other guys. It's your money, spend it however you see fit.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Duly noted. There is but one fly in your ointment. Niether of the sites you provided are authorized dealers for the equipment they sell (read the fine print). That's only one reason the prices seem better. The other is that they're selling obsolete stuff, the C7301U has been off the market for a couple of years now for example.

That being said, if you want superior service and the newest models shop Crutchfield. If you want discontinued models, remanufactured audio equipment and a shady warranty, but from the other guys. It's your money, spend it however you see fit.

They sell current and last generation models (99% of the time the last and current generation are exactly the same just different cosmetics). I've bought over $3000 worth of audio equipment from both ikesound and onlinecarstereo knowing they arent authorized dealers...BUT WHO CARES?? If you know you're buying a high quality product (ala Alpine/Pioneer) You shouldnt care about the extra year warrenty the manufacturer gives over what ikesound gives...afterall ikesound gives at least a 1 year warrenty on practically everything they sell. They ship quickly and I've never had an issue with the dozens of orders I've done with them. The only issue I've had was a banged up amp that I received from them but it was UPS' fault (shipping) and I sent it back free of charge and they replaced it within a week free of charge. Cruthfield is just as bad pricewise as any retail store is. Discounted doesnt = bad in my eyes, it just means I saved $60-$100 over another guy for the SAME exact product who bought retail just so he felt 'safer' but in the end I feel better knowing I got the same thing for A LOT less. All of ikesounds remanufactured stuff says 'refurbished' so it's not fooling you - and there's nothing wrong with those products either (I've bought TONS of remanufacturerd audio equipment and computer parts).

It's like in Tommy Boy when he explains to the guy about a big warrenty just being something to make you feel warm inside and really they could just be guarenteeing you a piece of shit Then he goes on to say if you know you're buying a quality product, it shouldnt matter. And it doesnt, from my experience.

~Blow your mind~

Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #12
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Personally, I favor Pioneer Premier head units, alpine or pioneer speakers, focal or the new boston g5 subs, and audison amps.

but thats getting into the 4-5k range...not including install.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Personally, I favor Pioneer Premier head units, alpine or pioneer speakers, focal or the new boston g5 subs, and audison amps.

but thats getting into the 4-5k range...not including install.
Pioneer Premier = same thing as just Pioneer, they just slap on an extra year warrenty.

~Blow your mind~

Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Actually, 2 years extra(1yr vs 3yr) higher voltage outs, gold plated outs(at least my model vs the standard comparable pioneer model)
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Actually, 2 years extra(1yr vs 3yr) higher voltage outs, gold plated outs(at least my model vs the standard comparable pioneer model)

It's 2 years standard for Premier from what I read, not 3 years. It's double the standard 1-year. I guess on their higher end newer units they put the 4v(reg)/6.5v(premier) outs...on the going out models they had the same exact specs down to...everything. Just the extra year warrenty with the Premier. From what I remember they all have (reg/premier) gold plated outs now (higher end models, although it really doesnt make a ton of difference like 4v and 6.5v pre-outs do).

Still nothing beats the best put out by Eclipse.... 8v/55ohm preouts...mmmm gotta love it. I love the price/performance my Panasonic 8300 delivers though, 5v/60ohm pre-outs and the HU was only $215.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 04-12-2005 at 03:41 AM.