Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Jesus Christ, Chris! How many cars have you owned? Care to put up a list?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Jesus Christ, Chris! How many cars have you owned? Care to put up a list?

I hope you didt' think that all those trucks pictured were mine. I had an older suburban, but that's all from that list.

There's a list I posted of all my cars in a thread from a year ago:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...ighlight=comet

But here's a cut & paste, plus an update...

Quote:
I've been autocrossing for a couple decades, as well as doing driver instruction in SCCA and BSCC. I've crewed on a few road race teams, including an IMSA RS Mazda RX3 team that also campaigned a rotary powered Formula Libre. I've helped build a few national championship winning SCCA autocrossers and road racers (like Greg Fordahl's national championship winning Porsche 914s and Porsche GT3s). I've driven hundreds of different cars on the track, from cheap basic cars to Porsches, Ferraris, and a couple Lotus' (from an old Elan to a newer Esprit V8).

The largest single type of car I've owned is custom air cooled VWs (over 30 of 'em), but I've had everything from big block Chevelles to rotary powered autocross cars. The total list is here:

Current cars here in Baltimore:

'02 PT Cruiser Touring Edition
'02 Hyundai Accent GS (wife's econo car)
'81 Fiat 124 Spyder
'63 Comet convertible project
'72 Dodge chassis Winnebago Class A motorhome

Back in Seattle:
'63 Comet S22 hardtop
'73 Pinto coupe
'70 VW Bug
'61 Renault 4CV

I haven't yet found an economical way to get these cars over here, but I'm working on it... (the '63 Comet S22 wil be my stepson's car, and possibly be shipped here this summer)

Past Rides:

Cars:

American:

'86 Cadillac Fleetood Brougham
'99 SVT Contour
'62 Falcon 4dr driver
'62 Comet 2 dr sedan (my first car)
'72 Pinto (my first autocrosser)
'70 Mustang Sportsroof (autocrosser)
'70 Mustang Mach1 (drag car)
'70 Mustang BOSS 302
'80 Mustang 460
'71 Torino GT 429
'73 Euro Capri (road racer)
'51 Ford coupe
'70 Pontiac Ventura (drag car)
'76 Pontiac Grand LeMans (lowrider/drag car w/455)
'89 Pontiac Grand Am
'78 Trans Am (autocrosser)
'84 Monte Carlo (lowrider)
'85 Monte Carlo (lowrider)
'75 Corvette/ Ferrari Daytona Spyder replica (TV car)
'81 Citation (323k miles!!!)
'71 Dodge Charger
'84 Dodge Daytona Turbo
'86 Dodge Daytona Turbo
'56 Dodge Hemi Coronet
'56 Rambler Wagon

Imports:

'86 Jaguar XJ6 (2 of them)
'77 MGB
'86 Mazda/Ford RX7 (the Rex)
'73 Porsche 914
'74 Porsche 914 (autocrosser)
'66 Porsche 912 (autocross and road racer)
'69 Porsche 911T
'74 Porsche 911S (driver and autocrosser)
Custom Bugs too numerous to list individually... (over 30)
'71 VW Karmann Ghia
'63 Ghia
'72 Ghia
'69 Squareback VW
'69 Fastback VW
Bradley GT kit car
'77 Scirocco
'80 Jetta (custom, w/Cabrio grille)
'59 Jaguar Mark IX
'71 MG Midget
'79 MG Midget
'58 MGA
'59 TR3
? TR-7 (with Ford 2.8 V6)
'84 Renault Alliance
'72 Audi 100LS
'75 Fiat X-1/9
'78 Fiat X-1/9 (autocrosser)
'72 Fiat 124 Spyder (autocrosser)
'74 Fiat 124 Spyder
'66 Datsun sedan
'72 Datsun 240Z
'74 Datsun 240Z (autocrosser)
'84 Toyota Corolla GTS (autocrosser)
'74 Subaru Coupe
'82 Subaru 4x4 wagon
'84 Subaru 4x4 wagon
'70 Mazda R100 (autocrosser)
'73 Mazda RX-2 (autocrosser)
'73 Mazda RX-3 (autocrosser)
'75 Mazda RX-3
'79 Mazda RX-7
'80 Mazda RX-7
'83 Mazda RX-7
'89 Suzuki Swift GTi
'86 CRX Si (custom)

Bikes:

'81 Honda CB750-F
'86 Yamaha Radian
'89 Suzuki Katana

Trucks

'92 Toyota lowrider pickup
'96 Ford Ranger Splash
'77 Courier
'78 LUV (lowrider)
'74 LUV (lowrider)
'71 Datsun
'73 Datsun (lowrider- magazine truck)
'66 VW panel bus
'66 VW 21 Window Deluxe bus
'68 VW Westfalia camper bus
'72 Suburban (lowrider)
'68 GMC intercity bus/motorhome conversion
'75 Dodge Motorhome (ex Ambulance)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Jeezus Chris! Where did you get all that money?

I really like Porsche 914s, what did you think of yours?

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Jeezus Chris! Where did you get all that money?

I really like Porsche 914s, what did you think of yours?

All what money? That spans 27 years, and ususally, sale of one bought a couple others as projects, so really, that list represents probably less than $40k of actual money over the course of those 27 years, with a lot of labor hours, and a lot of luck in finding projects for cheap.

Kind of like the Fiat in my sig only cost me $100 to buy...

For example, I'd buy a Bug in ths condition,

And spend $700 and a week of work to make it like this:

Sell it for $2500-3000, put much of the money back into the next one. I did over 30 custom VWs like this. Sometimes, the money from the sale of one would buy two, and then I could use the money from the sale of one to buy something completely different, or build up something else I had got for free. But car money almost always came from other cars, not out of pocket, with only a few exceptions... The new cars I've bought have all been bought with actual work income, and the V8 RX7 was built with work income, which is why it had to be a such a budget project.

I love 914s. They are my favorite Porsche street cars. Easy to make fast enough to win at the track, cheap enough to find to build up.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #20
Spitsign
CF Newbie

I don't really like trucks or SUVs, but if I had to choose something along those lines, i'd get either a chevy s10 xtreme or an old Blazer
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Favorite truck? Hard one, since I like so many. But I'll have to go with the '67-72 Chevy shortbed, customized. For favorite SUV, that's easy. Same year Chevy Suburbans (I've already had one).

Ohh, I want this one, bad!

We are so on the same page. I love how subtle the modifications are to this truck, I have tons of pics on my computer of this era customized shorty's and lots of pictures of that exact crewcab. I love that truck because it's a crew/short and because it's got a nice 4dr. conversion (they never made a 4dr. crewcab/suburban in the era afterall). Beautiful, simply beautiful.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #22
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
I love 914s. They are my favorite Porsche street cars. Easy to make fast enough to win at the track, cheap enough to find to build up.
I have heard that they are some what unreliable, is this true? My uncle had one and just kept it in pieces in his garage because it was unreliable, etc.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I have heard that they are some what unreliable, is this true? My uncle had one and just kept it in pieces in his garage because it was unreliable, etc.

Any older car can be unreliable. But there really aren't that many systems on them, either mechanical or electrical, and it's pretty easy to make sure nothing's wrong with them. it all really depends on teh owner. I mean, Fiats are supposedly unreliable and look at what I've had for the last couple years...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 PM   #24
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Any older car can be unreliable. But there really aren't that many systems on them, either mechanical or electrical, and it's pretty easy to make sure nothing's wrong with them. it all really depends on teh owner. I mean, Fiats are supposedly unreliable and look at what I've had for the last couple years...
Great, thanks!

Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 PM   #25
Bino
Written Off

Disclaimer: This is a question and not a statement of information.

Don't the 914's share a large portion of their suspension and drivetrain components with VW's of the era? Maybe a Type 4? I was thinking the motor was essentially a Type 4?

Just a potential connection in case StiMan is in the market for a 914.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #26
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino

Don't the 914's share a large portion of their suspension and drivetrain components with VW's of the era? Maybe a Type 4? I was thinking the motor was essentially a Type 4?

Oh, I am not, atleast not now. I am quite content with my Camry. Thanks anyways!

Old 04-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino

The engine is a VW Type 4 case, with Porsche specific pistons, cylinders, and heads. The transmission is the Porsche 901, as found in the early 911 models. IN '69-72, the trans has a funky set of lever arms to reach the tail of it to shift (on the 911, that is at the front of the transaxle, directly behind the shifter. In the 914, it's pointed directly rearwards at the back of the car, and makes for a VERY long and sloppy shifter setup). In '73, the 901 trans was modded for side shifting capability which removes the "monkey motion" linkage and made the shifter much better.

The suspension is specific to the 914, however, due to it's mid-engine layout. There are, however, numerous VW parts bin bits sprinkled throughout the car (like inside door latches).

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #28
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
The engine is a VW Type 4 case, with Porsche specific pistons, cylinders, and heads. The transmission is the Porsche 901, as found in the early 911 models. IN '69-72, the trans has a funky set of lever arms to reach the tail of it to shift (on the 911, that is at the front of the transaxle, directly behind the shifter. In the 914, it's pointed directly rearwards at the back of the car, and makes for a VERY long and sloppy shifter setup). In '73, the 901 trans was modded for side shifting capability which removes the "monkey motion" linkage and made the shifter much better.

The suspension is specific to the 914, however, due to it's mid-engine layout. There are, however, numerous VW parts bin bits sprinkled throughout the car (like inside door latches).

Thanks
Old 04-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #29
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Jeez Chris, you've owned over 100+ cars and about 3 of them are above newer than 99. The Ford Countour SVT was nice(I seen the pics) and the PT Crusiser is good as well. But you mean to tell me that after all of these years you've never induldged in a brand new Corvette? Never bought a 2002 Camaro SS. Never owned a newer BMW or Mercedes? Never once bought a brand new VW or Audi? I know you like your older cars, but I'm amazed that you've never bought much of anything newer?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #30
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Jeez Chris, you've owned over 100+ cars and about 3 of them are above newer than 99. The Ford Countour SVT was nice(I seen the pics) and the PT Crusiser is good as well. But you mean to tell me that after all of these years you've never induldged in a brand new Corvette? Never bought a 2002 Camaro SS. Never owned a newer BMW or Mercedes? Never once bought a brand new VW or Audi? I know you like your older cars, but I'm amazed that you've never bought much of anything newer?

Dude, in 2002 I was newly married an buying a house. So my family got the PT (traded in my wife's Beretta).

Serioulsy, new cars cost a ton, so I've had very few. The SVT was the only new car I bought when single and making good money (and had to rent, so i din't have a place to work on project cars). The rest where when I was either spending all my real money on my shop, or on a mortgage. (well, the '96 Splash was bought new, as I needed a reliable small truck for work, and I already had the 911 and the V8 RX7 at the time).

In general, I'd rather build it myself than buy "off the rack." And the only new cars I really wanted cost more than a house... Since '01, I've been a family man, and the money goes to more practical things (though I have a small account set up for my Comet project, which I've wanted to finish for over a decade). I simply like cheaper, older projects. For the cost of an '02 Camaro, I'd rather builda V8 RX7 and have money left over. For the cost of a new Mustang GT, I'd rather build a 460 powered Pinto. And have a ton of money left over for vacations and things like a hot tub for the house.

www.midatlantic7s.com