Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
65t0wel
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 18
carburetor problem..

Car - 1965 Ford Fairlane 289 V8
Not sure what kind of carb it is. Here's a picture of what it sort of looks like.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...arbs/1406a.jpg

Problem : Butterfly flap on the top doesnt move but about 1 inch.

I have tampered with screws, and tried to tighten stuff up, not much success, problem is, i gotta get that butterfly flap open more than it is. I have taken off the black circle box on the side(not sure what its called), and then put it back on, and tightened it up, and loosened, neither worked. im not sure how i could fix the problem?? and suggestions?
65t0wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65t0wel
Car - 1965 Ford Fairlane 289 V8
Not sure what kind of carb it is. Here's a picture of what it sort of looks like.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...arbs/1406a.jpg

Problem : Butterfly flap on the top doesnt move but about 1 inch.

I have tampered with screws, and tried to tighten stuff up, not much success, problem is, i gotta get that butterfly flap open more than it is. I have taken off the black circle box on the side(not sure what its called), and then put it back on, and tightened it up, and loosened, neither worked. im not sure how i could fix the problem?? and suggestions?

Terms: butterfly flap translates into "choke plate." Circle box on the side translates into "choke coil." Electric, I suppose.

Try to open and close the choke plate with your hand. Should open and close easily when operating properly, and snap shut when cold, vertical (fully open) when engine is hot. If it doesn't open and close freely, bindage is your problem & that you will have to find. If it does open and shut freely, but doesnt open fully when engine is hot, either your coil is bad, not getting power, or needs adjustment.

Use the above and tell me what your problem is and I'll tell you how to fix it.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
65t0wel
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Terms: butterfly flap translates into "choke plate." Circle box on the side translates into "choke coil." Electric, I suppose.

Try to open and close the choke plate with your hand. Should open and close easily when operating properly, and snap shut when cold, vertical (fully open) when engine is hot. If it doesn't open and close freely, bindage is your problem & that you will have to find. If it does open and shut freely, but doesnt open fully when engine is hot, either your coil is bad, not getting power, or needs adjustment.

Use the above and tell me what your problem is and I'll tell you how to fix it.
i checked the coil, all the wires are hooked up correctly..the 'choke plate' does open when i push down on it, no binding that i can feel. but i could be wrong... what could i check to see if something is the problem?
65t0wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
65t0wel
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 18
anyway i can check the coil though?
65t0wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
If the choke plate doesnt open, you have binding. It's up to you to find out what is binding, I can't see your carburetor.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
65t0wel
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
If the choke plate doesnt open, you have binding. It's up to you to find out what is binding, I can't see your carburetor.
thanks for your help, i guess i will start some trial and error on the carb.
65t0wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
srober32
CF Addict
 
srober32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 442
Here is an idea, take off the choke spring assembly, take it to the parts store, take a look at it next to the replacement and I think you will find that the old one and the new one have the end of the coil in two different clock positions. Buy the new one, install it on the carb, time (adjust) it properly, and have a working choke.
__________________
When replacing your altenator, make sure your battery is fully charged.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
Here is an idea, take off the choke spring assembly, take it to the parts store, take a look at it next to the replacement and I think you will find that the old one and the new one have the end of the coil in two different clock positions. Buy the new one, install it on the carb, time (adjust) it properly, and have a working choke.
Well genius, that just might work if the plate would open. If he can't open it by hand I'm damn sure a retracting coil can't do it. Like I already said, he has binding and needs to find it.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Well genius, that just might work if the plate would open. If he can't open it by hand I'm damn sure a retracting coil can't do it. Like I already said, he has binding and needs to find it.

well, he did say that there was "no binding that I can feel"
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
well, he did say that there was "no binding that I can feel"
Maybe he's stupid or something because obviously if it won't open... then... something is... stuck? Yeah, that equals binding.


EDIT: Actually, I read it wrong. Choke seemingly will fix the trouble.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Maybe he's stupid or something because obviously if it won't open... then... something is... stuck? Yeah, that equals binding.

i guess i'm wondering if he means "won't open....period" or " won't open by itself".... 65towel?

oh, just read your edit... didn't realize this could be done...

i meant editing...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"


Last edited by dodger65 : 04-12-2005 at 12:24 PM.
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:52 AM   #12
srober32
CF Addict
 
srober32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 442
Was gonna post a smart ass answer but don't realy feel like it.
__________________
When replacing your altenator, make sure your battery is fully charged.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.