Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #61
A-cord
CF Newbie

Wow that car is siiick... its hard to imagine honda every producing nething like that. Just doesnt seem right...
A-cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #62
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Are you sure Honda is going to do a V10? Thats very unlike them, hell, Honda doesnt even like producing V8's. They stubbornly refuse to build a V8, due to bad efficiency and bad emission levels, and now they are planning to build a V10?

They still refuse to release a V8. They said they will never build one.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #63
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Are you sure Honda is going to do a V10? Thats very unlike them, hell, Honda doesnt even like producing V8's. They stubbornly refuse to build a V8, due to bad efficiency and bad emission levels, and now they are planning to build a V10? But Honda does build a killer of a V10 engine for the F1 Honda 007. Althought, thats a million dollar machine.
I guess, if the Honda's president said those words, then he's really aiming at pushing the NSX as an exotic sports car and put in the same class as Ferrari F430 or 360. But if they do succeed in putting a V10 into the NSX, then it'll actually be a pretty good deal. Considering the reliability of a Honda and Ferrari-like performance. I guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

Part of the reason is for sales, at its price range the NSX MUST have more power or people won't buy it. A v10 is a good start.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #64
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Only good looking Honda I've ever seen. Still overpriced though.

Supercars have always been overpriced. Thats what makes it a supercar.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #65
Accord_Man
CF Addict

Yeah I can't see them doing a V8 let alone a V10, I bet they could achieve those numbers if not better with a very well engineered twin turbo V6. I would like to see that more, it just seems like more of an accomplishment to get the same power out of a V6 than a V10 and thats why I like Honda because they do that with all of their cars. EDIT- and if they would just make it all wheel drive, it could be the new skyline

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #66
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they arent going to lower the price from previous NSXs.

You're right, their new pricepoint is going to be "about $100,000". But the new NSX isnt going to be ANYTHING like the old one. So how can you be the judge if it's going to be overpriced or not (the new stats stand at only "at least 400hp and V10 powered"? Afterall it was the cheapest mass produced HAND BUILT exotic car of its time. Considered a bargin by all those who own it who didnt want to lay down twice the price for a 911 turbo or Ferrari 360.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #67
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Are you sure Honda is going to do a V10? Thats very unlike them, hell, Honda doesnt even like producing V8's. They stubbornly refuse to build a V8, due to bad efficiency and bad emission levels, and now they are planning to build a V10? But Honda does build a killer of a V10 engine for the F1 Honda 007. Althought, thats a million dollar machine.
I guess, if the Honda's president said those words, then he's really aiming at pushing the NSX as an exotic sports car and put in the same class as Ferrari F430 or 360. But if they do succeed in putting a V10 into the NSX, then it'll actually be a pretty good deal. Considering the reliability of a Honda and Ferrari-like performance. I guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's probaly going to stay at the same price or raise it. There's no way they are going to sell a mid-engined V10 powered all aluminum car for anything less then 90k.

It was straight from Fukui's mouth.
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=380991

And he said if the V10 is successful in the NSX they will probably build a V8 (for the Ridgeline).

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=386801

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #68
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
They still refuse to release a V8. They said they will never build one.

They dont refuse to build a V8, they never needed one, and still dont to sell cars AND trucks (FYI - the Pilot/MDX sell like crazy with a V6, and the new Ridgeline seems to be right on sales target so far). And no, thats a rumor you heard from some random ass, Honda ne ver said they wouldnt build a V8...matter fact Fukui just recently said this (Honda's President)...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=386801

In three years we could see Honda mass producing their own V8 engine... I wonder if GM will buy that V8 off them too like they did Honda's excellent J series V6.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #69
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_Man
Yeah I can't see them doing a V8 let alone a V10, I bet they could achieve those numbers if not better with a very well engineered twin turbo V6. I would like to see that more, it just seems like more of an accomplishment to get the same power out of a V6 than a V10 and thats why I like Honda because they do that with all of their cars. EDIT- and if they would just make it all wheel drive, it could be the new skyline

Honda has already tested out a twin turbo V6 on their JGTC NSX and they were unsucessful. They changed back to the NA V6 and had more sucess with that.

Following JGTC(or super GT as it's not called) is interesting as car companies test out new engines on existing cars which might be used on their new lineup of sportscars and grand tourers.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #70
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Honda is actually going back to turbos for power now in the new RDX SUV coming out. Supposedly it will have a turbo K24 putting out "close to 260hp". Honda wouldnt ever build a true exotic car though with forced induction...That's out of their esque.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #71
Accord_Man
CF Addict

what about the all-wheel-drive thing though, do you think they would consider that on the new NSX.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #72
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
what about the all-wheel-drive thing though, do you think they would consider that on the new NSX.

No. NSX will still be RWD. Too much more weight in an AWD powertrain. Mid-engine RWD

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #73
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You're right, their new pricepoint is going to be "about $100,000". But the new NSX isnt going to be ANYTHING like the old one. So how can you be the judge if it's going to be overpriced or not (the new stats stand at only "at least 400hp and V10 powered"? Afterall it was the cheapest mass produced HAND BUILT exotic car of its time. Considered a bargin by all those who own it who didnt want to lay down twice the price for a 911 turbo or Ferrari 360.

2 words. Corvette Z06.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #74
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Honda is probaly aiming for the Corvette in straight line speed wise, the current NSX already handles better then a Z06. If the V10 actually is going to be produced, they are probaly going to produce it with the new VCM system the recently developed, Honda re-did the (Variable Cylinder Management) system. They would have to, or they would be completely go against everything Honda stands for; Good Fuel Efficiency, and Great Emission levels.

Honda sells the J series engine to other car makers? I didn't know that. To who? and which J series? J30? J32? J35? I only know about the V6 that the Saturn Vue uses. Which is quite a deal, its much cheaper then its other GM twins, yet it uses a Honda engine instead of the inferior GM V6 used in its Chevy and other counterparts.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #75
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
2 words. Corvette Z06.

I still dont understand why people compare a Corvette to an exotic. It may have exotic car performance but thats where the similarities stop.

An NSX is a fully hand-built exotic car, from start to finish (takes a while to build just one). Insiders say more care is taken in the building of an NSX over even $180k+ Ferraris. The engine is fully hand assembled, balanced, blue printed...the works. A Corvette, Z06 or not. Is just thrown together in a matter of a day or so, just like every other mass-produced car. The interior in the NSX is also leagues ahead and by far nicer than any Corvette I've been in. Lets not forget the main difference between an NSX and a Z06. Which is exotic car lay-out mid-engine RWD vs. the stanadard fare front engine RWD. The NSX for the longest time (And still by a lot of people) is considered the biggest bargin hand-built exotic car of all time (when it came out for the 1991 model year it had a msrp of just above $60k). Dont forget the new Z06, even with all that 505hp from it's 7.0L V8, doesnt come cheap. These babies start at $65,000 which isnt too far off form the asking price of the NSX ($89,000 currently). People who can afford a $65,000 Z06 most likely could afford an NSX. With the new V10 NSX coming out in "3-4 years" and with a pricepoint of "just under $100,000" the two are probably going to attract the same Z06/NSX buyers (Z06 will top $70k by then). Two types of people buy NSXs. The first is the person who wants a piece of an iconic exotic car for a price that doesnt break the bank. While the second buyer wants an exotic car that with a $6000 Supercharger will run with any exotic out there, and still have that exotic car status without the price of an exotic. The Z06 is a Corvette for Corvette lovers who dont want to be outgunned by a new Mustang Cobra with 400+hp stock and nearly half the price tag.

BTW - Z06 isnt a word. They call those alphanumeric sequences

~Blow your mind~