Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Random Car Question Thread

*Edit* I'm changing this thread to the Random Car Question Thread, simply because it was insulting to CarExpert, and a thread like this is needed. So, have a random question that doesn't deserve a thread? Ask it here.

Please use this thread!

Last edited by Godlaus : 04-27-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Spitsign
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Okay, carexpert. I've had enough of your interjecting your stupidity into random threads. From now on, if you have a question about cars in general, post it in this thread and ONLY in THIS thread. People will answer it, and it's your own personal gearhead garage.

People, please help to answer his questions, otherwise his questions will end up spreading into other threads.

God forbid he asks a question in a thread that actually is about the same topic as said question..
How does making an entirely new thread REDUCE spam?
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Very good idea Godlaus! Bring it on CarEXPERT!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
CarEXPERT
Banned

My sister's Acura Integra RS 94' motor overheated but she didnt look at the gauge and kept on running.. Now she said that the engine doesnt go anymore.
What are the possiblilities that could happen when your engine overheats and you keep driving?
Is it possible it doesnt run anymore because the pistons weld onto the cylinder wall?

Her car has about 90000 miles and she bought it from a old lady a few months ago.
She said that there is no more water in the resevor tank.. Could there be a leak and why did the engine overheat??

Give me ALL the possibilities.
Thanks
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
My sister's Acura Integra RS 94' motor overheated but she didnt look at the gauge and kept on running.. Now she said that the engine doesnt go anymore.
What are the possiblilities that could happen when your engine overheats and you keep driving?
Is it possible it doesnt run anymore because the pistons weld onto the cylinder wall?

Her car has about 90000 miles and she bought it from a old lady a few months ago.
She said that there is no more water in the resevor tank.. Could there be a leak and why did the engine overheat??

Give me ALL the possibilities.
Thanks

Possibilities for coolant leak:
-Heater Core hose
-Rad Hose
-Rad leak
-Heater core leak
-Blown gasket
-Water pump

It's possible that the pistons have welded themselves to the cylinder wall. Other possibilities include:

-When it starts to over-heat, the pistons expand and start grabbing the wall scuffing both the pistons and the wall, so compression can't be made anymore.
-When the piston started to bite the wall a rod may have snapped
-Same as above but may have damaged the crank
-Could have warped the heads/cracked the heads

Pretty much anything can break when it starts to over-heat.

When looking at why an engine over-heated, you don't look at the resevoir. You look in the rad, the resevoir doesn't serve any purpose when it comes to cooling. If the rad's dry then you have your reason as to why it over-heated.

Over-heating is caused by a stuck thermostat, bad waterpump or low coolant. (clogged passages can cause it too, though very un-common.)
Old 04-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
CarEXPERT
Banned

My sister said that her friend told her that it was the radiator that is messed up. If you open the rad cap, and the water is low, then does it mean there is a leak.

And the coolant resevor now doesnt have water in it anymore.

I think the head gasket is blown but when it blows, does the water leak off and go down to the block?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
My sister said that her friend told her that it was the radiator that is messed up. If you open the rad cap, and the water is low, then does it mean there is a leak.

And the coolant resevor now doesnt have water in it anymore.

I think the head gasket is blown but when it blows, does the water leak off and go down to the block?

If the rad is low that means either A) Somebody didn't fill it up or B) There's a leak somewhere.

When the head gasket is blown there are a few possibilities for coolant.

1) Coolant-Cylinder : Coolant leaks into cylinder and burns. Exhaust goes into coolant, which is helpful when diagnosing.

2) Coolant-Oil : Coolant and oil mix together causing a milky looking subastance

3) Coolant-Ouside : Coolant leaks out of the engine, onto the outside of the block and onto the ground. Best way to blow, doesn't cause damage, but un-common.

If you have a pressure tester, fill the radiator up with water or coolant, whichever you prefer, put the pressure tester on the rad and pump it up, then look for the leak, and look to see if the gauge is dropping. If the gauge is dropping and you don't see any coolant, chances are you have a blown head gasket.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:17 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
If the gauge is dropping and you don't see any coolant, chances are you have a blown head gasket.

or there is a swimming pool of green coolant on the passenger floor and you don't realize until youve quated the customer for a head job and you drive the car out and....ooops, but that doesn't happen right? alot of times people don't look for the heatercore leak, but those people don't work here
Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #9
CarEXPERT
Banned

Muffler..

have a question: Isnt the mufflers job to lower or cancel out the sound of the exhaust gasses? The stock muffers on cars like civics and very silent but when people put on big mufflers they are loud and deeper.. Are theres aftermarkert mufflers just cancel the sound out less? and do they add better flow of the exhaust system because the muffler has to work to silence it less?

Am I correct that mufflers dont make any horsepower even an aftermarket one?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

I believe that mufflers cancel out sound by slowing down the air that flows out of the engine. (The Catolytic Converter does this too, but for emissions.) By slowing down the air that goes out the horsepower is decreased. The idea of putting an aftermarket muffler and exhaust is to create a better, free flow of the gases in order to boost horsepower and performance, that is why new exhaust systems are one of the first things replaced for more horsepower because it is an easy way to get some horsepower.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
have a question: Isnt the mufflers job to lower or cancel out the sound of the exhaust gasses? The stock muffers on cars like civics and very silent but when people put on big mufflers they are loud and deeper.. Are theres aftermarkert mufflers just cancel the sound out less? and do they add better flow of the exhaust system because the muffler has to work to silence it less?

Am I correct that mufflers dont make any horsepower even an aftermarket one?

Think of a vacuum cleaner: If you cover half of the nozzle with your hand, all of a sudden the motor is working harder, but not performing better. This is not a great example, but would similar to running a turbo with a really small, restrictive exhaust/inlet. The more freely the gas moves, the more effective everything is.

The advantage of many after-market mufflers is that they're "straight through", meaning the pipe in and the pipe out of the muffler are in a straight line. This helps move the gas through the muffler. Most stock mufflers have an offset so that the gas comes in one pipe and goes through a series of baffles etc and out another pipe that comes out of a different part of the muffler. This slows the gas down more, and is more restrictive.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
CarEXPERT
Banned

Yes, restriction slows down the flow but also quiets down the gases. But MY QUESTION WAS: why do AFTERMARKET mufflers (alone) make more noise than a stock muffler say on a civic. I'm guessing because the aftermakret ones dont cancel out the sound or quiet down the sound as much so they flow better?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Yes, restriction slows down the flow but also quiets down the gases. But MY QUESTION WAS: why do AFTERMARKET mufflers (alone) make more noise than a stock muffler say on a civic. I'm guessing because the aftermakret ones dont cancel out the sound or quiet down the sound as much so they flow better?

Good guess, and that's exactly it. Some aftermarket mufflers go for sound alone, to change teh tone, or simply make it louder. Most go for reducing restriction to allow teh engine to breathe better and make more power.

You've heard race cars with no muffler, right? Well, somewhere between a stock restrictive, quiet system and a race open exhaust lies most aftermarket systems.

Now, something else to remember, at anything but wide open throttle, most normally aspirated engines need SOME restriction in the exhaust to build up backpresure, which slows the pulses down. This allows the exhaust pulses to actually pull the next exhaust pulse out of the cylinder (known as scavenging). Too much pressure and it's like blowing through a straw you are pinching off. Too little and you lose power from not being able to completely scavenge the gasses out of the cylinder on each exhaust pulse.

Turbocharged and supercharged engines don't need backpressure or scavenging as they are being pressurized on the other end. So a turbo car can use a much bigger exhaust pipe diameter and freer flowing mufflers than a normally aspirated engine will.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
CarEXPERT
Banned

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Goddamn im pissed off! I was reading this thing on fuel pressure regulators for electronic port injection systems and I know what it does and stuff but I DONT KNOW if the fuel goes throught the regulator first or the injectors?

Does the fuel go from the tank to the pump to the lines to the rail to the injectors and the regulator at the end of the rail with a return line?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #15
CarEXPERT
Banned

Goddamn im pissed off! I was reading this thing on fuel pressure regulators for electronic port injection systems and I know what it does and stuff but I DONT KNOW if the fuel goes throught the regulator first or the injectors?

Does the fuel go from the tank to the pump to the lines to the rail to the injectors and the regulator at the end of the rail with a return line?