Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Could'nt you just bolt a RWD rear end to the allready existing GramdAm frame, modify the shock mounts, and use whatever form of fabrication you see fit to ensure that the rear end is level and square?

Because unlike the front, that is designed to hold the engine and powered wheels, the rear of a typical FWD unit construction car doesn't HAVE a strong enough "frame" area. In fact, it generally has no "frame" area at all. The front does. So you have to build something that won't tear out the basic sheetmetal back there under power (especially if yor' eputting a lot of power to the rear axle).

Quote:
Are we talking 2-3 inches longer and taller or almost half a foot longer and or taller?

Closer to the latter than the former. An I6 that isn't slanted over will necessarily be taller just due to the vertical setting. Plus then the cams on the RB are on top of the head, making it taller yet. The pistons are pretty big, and there are two more inline on it than there are on the V8, so it's two whole cylinders longer.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Because unlike the front, that is designed to hold the engine and powered wheels, the rear of a typical FWD unit construction car doesn't HAVE a strong enough "frame" area. In fact, it generally has no "frame" area at all. The front does. So you have to build something that won't tear out the basic sheetmetal back there under power (especially if yor' eputting a lot of power to the rear axle).

Ahha.. never thought of it like that. So you would use rectangular tubing to build an entier new rear subframe or to enforce the allready existing one?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:04 AM   #18
GrandAmFreak
CF Newbie

Cool

I appreciate your feedback on this crazy idea.
GrandAmFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #19
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmFreak
How do I go about swapping a Skyline engine into my car and make it rear wheel drive?

Why would you want to put a perfectly good engine like the RB26DETT into your car? From what I've gleened off the net you car is best suited to an old man with a cheese cutter on his head. 280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

It's all academic really, because you probably have to get it engineered and approved first?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #20
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

Suspension & chasis strength/stiffness?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Why would you want to put a perfectly good engine like the RB26DETT into your car? From what I've gleened off the net you car is best suited to an old man with a cheese cutter on his head. 280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

Not even close.

I could easily see this car with 400+ hp:

Quote:
It's all academic really, because you probably have to get it engineered and approved first?

Not here in the states. Have you never seen a hot rod, Wally? Or has your life been too sheltered in engineering school?

My buddy built this mid engine, RWD Civic using an Acura Legend drivetrain, home meade suspension arms, and a lot of hours in his garage:

You think my V8 RX7 was designed to have 400 lb ft of torque in it?
here's another one:

Austin healy Sprite with a 478 cid Chrysler hemi.

Did you see the links to the Durocco, twin engine Scirocco I posted? Built in a garage for arond $1800 total including cost of the car? http://www.durocco.com

How about this CRX?

Built for under $2000 total, including cost of the car?

Wally, for all your knowledge, I'm begining to believe you have very little practical experience, and really havne't been paying attention to what's actually been happening in garages and carports around the world. Hotrodding, Wally. Building something unique out of mundane parts.

http://www.suprang.com/

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #22
Bino
Written Off

In Aus. and maybe NZ you have to have any modifications inspected by a certified engineer before your vehicle can be officially registered or driven on public roads.

If I were from Aus or NZ I'm sure I would not know any different.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
In Aus. and maybe NZ you have to have any modifications inspected by a certified engineer before your vehicle can be officially registered or driven on public roads.

If I were from Aus or NZ I'm sure I would not know any different.

Except that we've posted cars like the one above in numerous threads and I Know Wally has been able to see them. I'm a little testy due to his rather insulting posts about what happens in the real world vs his engineering exprertise (which is very thorough). I mean we have a a thread in this forum already about doing a V8 in a Civic, from just a couple weeks ago:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=10996

Hell, we have a KIT here to put a V8 in a Focus, using bolt in parts, avaialble from Kugel Komponents and even in the Ford performance parts catalog.

And again, even in Auz you have hot rods, and traditional ones at that, like '27 Ford Ts with big block V8s in them. I'm pretty sure that those frames were never designed to handle that power. But guys are doing that in theri garages around the world.

hell, here's one from Aus...

Ok, here's a V8 in a Cavalier. Looks deceptively stock:

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #24
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
hell, here's one from Aus...

[/img]

Point well taken.

That Ford rocks. Talk about a beautiful example of a rat rod.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #25
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

What the hell? The Pontiac GrandAM is probably one of GM's more sporty sedan/coupes. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing more and more younger guys ,like the ones from AEDcentral, who have become GA enthuisiast, turning average sporty sedans such as the GrandAm, GrandPrix, and Alero into tunable hot-rod like vehicles. I don't know how you Aussies do it down in the AZ but associating cars that look like this..

..with your average run of the mill sedan intended for an older consumer, such as Buick, is utterly rediculous. Not able to handle 280 ponies? Maybe you have'nt seen some American drag races and noticed some of the NHRA's top competitors being Pontiac Grand Ams.

All sub 6 second cars. But don't let that convice you meet Betty Racer, probably one of the most known GrandAms within the Grand Am community.

Don't let her looks fool you, this is what shes packing under the hood.

Its a Supercharged 350 in a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I've seen this car in action and believe me they don't call it a "Betty Racer" for no reason. Partial to the fact that its owned by a girl(I think), but that would only explain the Betty part.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #26
Wally
I Know More Than You

ChrisV you are kidding aren't you? I hope that was a flame.

The guy wants to turn a FWD into a RWD, that I presume doesn't have the correct tunnels or strengthening, otherwise the advice to cut firewalls would have been duly corrected yes? The car is built for approx 150 hp and he wants to put a turbocharged engine in ?

Yes here in Oz we have to get engineering certificates and blue plates to modify a car and have it street legal.

No we do not have hot rods here. We do not shove V8's in minis, we do not load 350 chevs in Mitsubishi Sigmas, we dont have ratrods, we don't even have drag strips. Hell we all drive around in Morris Minors actually, which is why we make usless products like MoTec, Autronic and the like:- so our single draft carburettors and magnetos will operate more efficiently. We have a bad habit of bragging about ourselves though and consdier ourselves the centre of the auto universe.

You are completely correct I have never played with cars and google most of my answers.

DSmer don't be too quick on the uptake. Flaming tends to get turned around when the time is right and bites you on the bum. ChrisV has his own agenda, I suggest you make yours less parasitic. You open yourself to scrutiny when you put yourself on a pedestal.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #27
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer

Don't let her looks fool you, this is what shes packing under the hood.

Its a Supercharged 350 in a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I've seen this car in action and believe me they don't call it a "Betty Racer" for no reason. Partial to the fact that its owned by a girl(I think), but that would only explain the Betty part.

It looks like there's a supercharger bolted to the motor. But the supercharger is not connected to the intake tube. That car is hideous, make the wing and graphics go away and I'm on board. On the other hand I must give props on the V8/RWD conversion.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 PM   #28
Bino
Written Off

Oh, and I've always thought the 2dr. Alero was a very sporty/nice looking car. I always figured they'd have a ringer if they just supercharged it and made it AWD, but that's just me. I think a RWD 2dr. Alero would be really sweet... personally.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 PM   #29
Wally
I Know More Than You

damnit I just saw this hidden among the plethora of evidential photos of my incompetance:

Quote:
I'm a little testy due to his rather insulting posts about what happens in the real world vs his engineering exprertise

Well why don't you just say you have been wounded and ask me to be more sensitive in future. Surely by now you would notice I don't attack unless attacked. If I was apt to sink the boot in on every silly post made by knowledgable members my own post count would be enormous.

Surely you can disagree with my point of views without having to try tipping a bucket over me?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 AM   #30
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
DSmer don't be too quick on the uptake. Flaming tends to get turned around when the time is right and bites you on the bum. ChrisV has his own agenda, I suggest you make yours less parasitic. You open yourself to scrutiny when you put yourself on a pedestal.

No ones flaming you. Well atleast I'm not seeing as that I can only speak for myself. You called the GrandAm a car built for old farts with "cheese graters" on their head. My reasearch with Pontiac tells me that the car was never intended to be marketed to older consumers.

I simply showed you a few cars thats might change your opinion on the subject at hand without being foul, vulgar, or obscene about it. If you want to take it to heart and accuse me of flaming you when I've done nothing of the sort thats your problem. I'm stating an opinion based of fact. I don't beleive that the Grand Am is what you make it out to be. Just because it comes with 150HP from the factory does'nt mean thats ALL it ever will be capable of. If such a thing were true GM would'nt sell peformance parts for any of their engines.

So I challenge you to show me anywhere I made a negative comment directly towards you within this thread. It won't be there because it does'nt exist. Acusing others of mistreating you when they have in fact not, is'nt the best way to make friends. Maybe you should'nt be so quick on the uptake, I said what I said to contrast opinions and information with you, not to flame.

Bino, the 2/door Aleros are sporty in their own sort of way. They share the same unibody as the Grand Am however the Grand Am has the sharper more racier lines. You'll tend to see more of the guys that modify them go for this look.

However, there are some sporty ones that take more of this look pictured.

Last edited by DSMer : 04-14-2005 at 02:12 AM.