Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #31
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Fair enough. I just wondered how me posting that the car looked and is powered like a grandad's car would migrate into me not knowing anything and then ratrods and top door slammers thrown into the soup for some inexplicable reason.

I guess I tend to look past fancy bars, farings , scoops, skirts, spoliers, swirly paint etc and in this instance I saw a FWD low powered car that would suit an elder gentleman. It was not intended as a slight on Chrisv or yourself, just an observation. The engineering side speaks for itself and I stand by what I posted.

I should point out that I am not about to enter into a penis type debate based on the number and variety of cars I have modified. I can say unlike most lego mechanics I actually come up with my own innovations, do a lot of the machining and fabrication myself and yes engineer it myself. Because I don't crow about how good or bad I am doesn't mean people should assume I am bereft of practical talent.

I guess the many thousands of dollars I have spent on tools and machinery over a lifetime mean zip. I guess the power figures I get out of engines that exceed typical hobby mechanic's endeavours are phantom and I should not presume to think I have achieved anything. Well sorry guys, but I have the runs on the board and I didn't get the experience by hanging around asking for autographs in race pits or thinking I was a hero for putting cars through the twisties.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:51 AM   #32
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Fair enough. I just wondered how me posting that the car looked and is powered like a grandad's car would migrate into me not knowing anything and then ratrods and top door slammers thrown into the soup for some inexplicable reason.

I guess I tend to look past fancy bars, farings , scoops, skirts, spoliers, swirly paint etc and in this instance I saw a FWD low powered car that would suit an elder gentleman. It was not intended as a slight on Chrisv or yourself, just an observation. The engineering side speaks for itself and I stand by what I posted.

I should point out that I am not about to enter into a penis type debate based on the number and variety of cars I have modified. I can say unlike most lego mechanics I actually come up with my own innovations, do a lot of the machining and fabrication myself and yes engineer it myself. Because I don't crow about how good or bad I am doesn't mean people should assume I am bereft of practical talent.

I guess the many thousands of dollars I have spent on tools and machinery over a lifetime mean zip. I guess the power figures I get out of engines that exceed typical hobby mechanic's endeavours are phantom and I should not presume to think I have achieved anything. Well sorry guys, but I have the runs on the board and I didn't get the experience by hanging around asking for autographs in race pits or thinking I was a hero for putting cars through the twisties.

To be clear with the facts, I never said you did'nt know anything(That would be very stupid of me). I merely expressed that I think your opinion of the Grand Am did'nt depict the cars character by any means. That we can agree on. As you said ChrisV has his own personal agenda and that I should stay away from. I did... So spare me the ego talk about what you can and can't do. I'm not interested and you should probably take that up ChrisV.(No flame intended)

I gave you picture of a car created by an average automotive enthuisiast that contrasts your beliefs of a car intended for 150hp not being able to support more power than its set numbers from the factory. This car is a RWD V8 350 powered Grand Am. The guys that built it are no engineers by anymeans. Very smart and knowledgable men, they are, but none of them have BA's in engineering. They created a Grand Am able to withstand more than 400+ torque using simple skills aquired from modifying cars and metal fabircation.

Many people, like you, said it could'nt be done, or it should'nt be done becuase the numbers did'nt add up. Well some odd months later someone has a fully functioning RWD V8 Grand Am that has 4x's more power than the car was "intended" to have on basicly the stock chassis? So what am I saying?

Wally- "280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability."

Well Wally, there pictured is a Black/Pink Grand Am that does everything you said it should'nt be able. Its a supercharged 350, definetly producing more thatn 260 ponies and 260ft-lbs. Put "A" and "B" together, you should know whats up.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:01 AM   #33
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I should point out that I am not about to enter into a penis type debate based on the number and variety of cars I have modified. I can say unlike most lego mechanics I actually come up with my own innovations, do a lot of the machining and fabrication myself and yes engineer it myself. Because I don't crow about how good or bad I am doesn't mean people should assume I am bereft of practical talent.

Any outrageous custom "from scratch" mods that'd be worth sharing? (genuinely)
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #34
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Any outrageous custom "from scratch" mods that'd be worth sharing? (genuinely)

yeah like I'm about to post more cannon fodder

OK DSmer I like the way you are responding so I will expand a bit. I have no doubt those guys have thrown a nice big donk in the car and met with success. And as we all know if you throw enough money around you can do just about anything to a car. I guess I questioned the sense, not the plausibility, of going down the track of throwing a V8 in and converting to rear wheel drive a car that to me appears to me to be a Mr McGoo vehicle. If it was something more outrageous (eg a V8 in a Mira) I would probably agree with the concept, but otherwise why bother.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #35
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
yeah like I'm about to post more cannon fodder

OK DSmer I like the way you are responding so I will expand a bit. I have no doubt those guys have thrown a nice big donk in the car and met with success. And as we all know if you throw enough money around you can do just about anything to a car. I guess I questioned the sense, not the plausibility, of going down the track of throwing a V8 in and converting to rear wheel drive a car that to me appears to me to be a Mr McGoo vehicle. If it was something more outrageous (eg a V8 in a Mira) I would probably agree with the concept, but otherwise why bother.

Ditto. It appears that we can agree on the terms that you don't fancy the swap because the car is something of an old timers vehicle. As long as we can meet at common grounds the on the possibility of such a vehicle posessing a V8 then we have bantered enough. To be honest with you I have no clue what a Mira is. Care to explain what it is and why they car would be an outrageous to a V8 swap?

In closing, I would like to add that the Ponitac Grand Am is probably one of the better V8 swaps I have seen, becuase Pontiac in the 95-2002 year had all of these "sporty" sedans in wich none of them had V8's and they were all FWD. The Grand Prix, Bonnvill, and Grand Am could at best come with 3800 V6's with supercharger. As far as I know none of the Grand Am's have ever been offered in Manual. Its a sporty GM coupe that lacked RWD and a top model with a V8 was just begging for this swap.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #36
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I gave you picture of a car created by an average automotive enthuisiast that contrasts your beliefs of a car intended for 150hp not being able to support more power than its set numbers from the factory. This car is a RWD V8 350 powered Grand Am. The guys that built it are no engineers by anymeans. Very smart and knowledgable men, they are, but none of them have BA's in engineering. They created a Grand Am able to withstand more than 400+ torque using simple skills aquired from modifying cars and metal fabircation.

Many people, like you, said it could'nt be done, or it should'nt be done becuase the numbers did'nt add up.

Ding! And I'm tired of people that do the latter (and the ones that say it can be done, you just have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to do it safely and effectively).

If you have the experience in doing it, you don't MAKE those kinds of statments. if you make those kinds of stamtnes (like Wally did) then I don't gve two shits about what oyu say you did, you don't know squat.

I'm tired of enigneers who overthink things to the point where the only way they think it WILL work is if you overthink it to the point where it isn't feasable.

And as long as Wally keeps insulting a car because of a retarded idea about a mr magoo concept he has in his head, I'm going to continue to feel this way.

A car is a car. and an economical late model chassis is as good a starting point as any other economical late model chassis OR any EXPENSIVE chassis. if he had done ANY research on the net on j bodies, or on grand am clubs, he'd KNOW better than to think it was any more of an "old man's car" than a fcuking Firebird is. And even if it was, it's STILL a worthwhile car to turn into a project like this, especially if you already HAVE it. A lot of supposed "old man's cars" make cool projects for younger enthusiasts, too. Like, say, my old 4 door Falcon was.

Hell, REGULAR aussie Falcon 4 doors are family guy cars, yet the most potent Aussie musclecar was... a 4 door Falcon! Want me to say building a Falcon up into a performance car is stupid because the average 4 door falcon is a Mr Magoo car????

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #37
96 GRAND PRIX
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
hello people
as i read all of your comments about this and that. i often wonder if any of you have build a car. if one person is to looking for a answere a question, you might want to give that person ideas. and inregards to the mods on cars of new. you can see that the new ones can be moded. 3.1liter 278hp motor and foggered to 478hp yes front wheel for now. for the mod this winter 91 independent rear end from ford t-bird. and i designed a f-1 chassis for this. with a 200r4 trans.
can you motor swap that motor into a grand am? yes you can. is it a good idea ? no! there are better motor to do this with. if you have any other questions please let me know. rdfabs.com
__________________
96 GRAND PRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GRAND PRIX
hello people
as i read all of your comments about this and that. i often wonder if any of you have build a car.

Built many from the ground up.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #39
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Ding! And I'm tired of people that do the latter (and the ones that say it can be done, you just have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to do it safely and effectively).

If you have the experience in doing it, you don't MAKE those kinds of statments. if you make those kinds of stamtnes (like Wally did) then I don't gve two shits about what oyu say you did, you don't know squat.

I'm tired of enigneers who overthink things to the point where the only way they think it WILL work is if you overthink it to the point where it isn't feasable.

And as long as Wally keeps insulting a car because of a retarded idea about a mr magoo concept he has in his head, I'm going to continue to feel this way.

A car is a car. and an economical late model chassis is as good a starting point as any other economical late model chassis OR any EXPENSIVE chassis. if he had done ANY research on the net on j bodies, or on grand am clubs, he'd KNOW better than to think it was any more of an "old man's car" than a fcuking Firebird is. And even if it was, it's STILL a worthwhile car to turn into a project like this, especially if you already HAVE it. A lot of supposed "old man's cars" make cool projects for younger enthusiasts, too. Like, say, my old 4 door Falcon was.

Hell, REGULAR aussie Falcon 4 doors are family guy cars, yet the most potent Aussie musclecar was... a 4 door Falcon! Want me to say building a Falcon up into a performance car is stupid because the average 4 door falcon is a Mr Magoo car????


ChrisV, I can completely understand your disgust within the opinions of Wally. However, to each his own and he is entitled to his own opinion. One of the better things that I have acquired from your teachings is that a car is a car. They all have engines, go from point A to point B, and bend when hitting something solid. Every car has something that can be liked about it irregardless to its make, model name, price, or physical appearance. I only find one fault in his theory, which I believe I have expressed. However, I'm sure everyone has encountered a car that would be considered a sleeper.

Since when has it no longer become popular to put powerful engines in cars that would not originally be thought of to have strong power plants? Is that no longer the idea of building a sleeper?

Since when has it not become a thing of car customizers and auto-mechanics alike, to perform unthinkable swaps that no one has ever conjured up? Is it no longer a common activity to do whats "said" to not be possible?

In the past few months I've seen ChrisV introduce these forums to cars that I could only dream of and correlate "wouldn't it be cool if..." conversations with my car buddies. I've seen V8 engines in Crx's and Cavalier's. Rear wheel drive conversions done to Civics that I could have only imagined. If such accomplishments can inspire the minds of people like me who lack the knowledge to partake projects as the aforementioned ones above alone, surely it can inspire the mind of an engineer who could use that knowledge to do it even better? That or you've seen it all Wally. Which in that case, I'd like to hear more.

96 GRAND PRIX, no I have never built a car from the ground up. Unfortunately, I don't have the time myself to build a car from the ground up, nor do I have a car that I would currently like to build from the ground up, but if indeed I ever wanted to build something like a RWD Grand Am I have the knowledgeable friends, garages, and tools to perform such a swap.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #40
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv
If you have the experience in doing it, you don't MAKE those kinds of statments. if you make those kinds of stamtnes (like Wally did) then I don't gve two shits about what oyu say you did, you don't know squat.

For a person who doesn't give two shits you certainly harp on a lot. You can shout, abuse, swear. throw hissy fits and tantrums, cry baby, whatever, but you are wrong. You know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. Your juvenile tirades only hurt your reputation, which I had no intention of denting, but you just keep on and on like a whiney girl. You are the big man on campus and I don't have a problem with it. You have made it very clear you know more than anybody else in ths forum and guess what... I don't have a problem with that. If you want to wrestle me like a pig that's fine, but we will both get dirty and a pig likes that.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:23 AM   #41
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
ChrisV, I can completely understand your disgust within the opinions of Wally

Now see how I hold out an olive branch and you come in using totally inappropriate words like "disgust". What is wrong with you guys that you get so emotional about petty things?
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #42
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Now see how I hold out an olive branch and you come in using totally inappropriate words like "disgust". What is wrong with you guys that you get so emotional about petty things?
I agree ... DSMer, you posted something quite placating yourself earlier on, mentioning what you and wally could agree on, and then you go and say you can understand how someone can be disgusted with him ... in the same thread no less. I was going to commend that post, but then you tried to fan the flames again .....
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #43
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Built many from the ground up.

No you haven't. If you have the experience in doing it, you don't MAKE the kinds of statments you make. I don't think you know one end of a ring spanner to the other. I think you are a google mechanic.

Look here's a pic of a Grand Am from the net, its sure is a beast. Now I have posted a pic from the web I can call myself an expert and be all knowing. My next staggering achievemnet will be to advise memebers to "pull codes" from their ECU's.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."

Last edited by Wally : 04-15-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:30 AM   #44
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
No you haven't. If you have the experience in doing it, you don't MAKE the kinds of statments you make. I don't think you know one end of a ring spanner to the other. I think you are a google mechanic.

Wally... ChrisV wouldnt lie and I think hes definantly not a google mechanic, whatever that is, .. I think that was vwhobo.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 AM   #45
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Now see how I hold out an olive branch and you come in using totally inappropriate words like "disgust". What is wrong with you guys that you get so emotional about petty things?

Okay, I was never extending you the hand with arrows in it. I may have gotten a little carried away with the "Is it no longer popular to make sleepers" subject, but I was only kidding in efforts to lighten you up on the subject. Maybe I should have used some sort of smiley, but I don't like those damn things. It is clearly evident that ChrisV is disgusted at your opinion on the "Grand Am". However, that does not mean I am as well. I actually understand where you are coming from. Maybe the word is a little to harsh, but you're a big boy Wally, you can take a little ribbing . Again, I'm not trying to flame at you and I apologize because after reading my post I've noticed that I did come on a little too strongly. I'm still attempting to change your mind after I already set terms of agreement to disagree and I have broken that verbal agreement. For that I am truly sorry.

However, I really meant the part where I said."That or you've seen it all Wally. Which in that case, I'd like to hear more." No thats not a sarcastic comment, maybe you've seen soo many V8 swaps into grandpa cars you've become bored with the entire idea. However, I would like to know what kind of cars, projects, and engineering ventures you have encountered. I aspire to be an engineer(Well, I am going to be one I'll be starting college this fall) and would like to learn a thing or two from someone who already knows the thing or two. You may consider it boasting or "cannon fodder" , as you like to call it, but I honestly would like to see pictures and articles of automotive projects you have done.

That, and I'd like to poke fun of your Australian cars. No Just kidding. I genuinely would like to hear about cars like a "Mira". Also, some of the tools that you may have used to engineer your projects. Now boasting would be running around explaining how great you are, however I'm asking you to teach me a thing or two. If you didn't care to spread knowledge you wouldn't be here. So, what will it be ol` chum?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.