Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
71Cutlass
CF Newbie

Help!! Leaded Or Unleaded

i bought a 71 cutlass supreme with a performance 350 last summer and just got it running and its running really ruff and stalling alot and we would like 2 know does this take leaded fuel or not because my father or i are sure about this please comment asap thank you, Kevin Martin
71Cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Cutlass
i bought a 71 cutlass supreme with a performance 350 last summer and just got it running and its running really ruff and stalling alot and we would like 2 know does this take leaded fuel or not because my father or i are sure about this please comment asap thank you, Kevin Martin

here's a quick check
look at the fill tube hole leaded pump nozzle were larger in size than unleaded this was to keep people from using the wrong fuel during the changeover to unleaded fuel you should be able to find lead substitute at most parts store's or some gas station's

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
here's a quick check
look at the fill tube hole leaded pump nozzle were larger in size than unleaded this was to keep people from using the wrong fuel during the changeover to unleaded fuel you should be able to find lead substitute at most parts store's or some gas station's

we know a stock '71 would run on leaded, but i think it depends on the buildup of the engine.... what compression, cam, etc. olds 350, chevy 350 (crossbreeding--shudder)... did the rebuilder put hardened valve seats in or put on later model heads? on that subject, what is the general consensus on unleaded w/ leaded heads. i know there was a rush to hardened valve seats b/c the lead was gone, but i recall reading something lately saying that it was a scare and unleaded doesn't have that much of an effect on non-hardened valve seats... anyone?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
we know a stock '71 would run on leaded, but i think it depends on the buildup of the engine.... what compression, cam, etc. olds 350, chevy 350 (crossbreeding--shudder)... did the rebuilder put hardened valve seats in or put on later model heads? on that subject, what is the general consensus on unleaded w/ leaded heads. i know there was a rush to hardened valve seats b/c the lead was gone, but i recall reading something lately saying that it was a scare and unleaded doesn't have that much of an effect on non-hardened valve seats... anyone?

and i thought it was enviromentaly unsafe cause of the lead in it

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
and i thought it was enviromentaly unsafe cause of the lead in it

well that, too

Old 04-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
I know a couple of people who have just run their old cars on unleaded, then planned on replacing the valve seats if and when they wore out. .... Neither have had to do it yet, and they've both been running it for about 2 years. One of them does put in some of that fuel additive every third tank though, so I dunno if that's making any difference.

For anyone interested, the cars in question are an EH Holden (additive one) and an HQ Holden. ... both sedans.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:51 AM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

So, what does a gallon of leaded fuel go for these days?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
I know a couple of people who have just run their old cars on unleaded, then planned on replacing the valve seats if and when they wore out. .... Neither have had to do it yet, and they've both been running it for about 2 years. One of them does put in some of that fuel additive every third tank though, so I dunno if that's making any difference.

For anyone interested, the cars in question are an EH Holden (additive one) and an HQ Holden. ... both sedans.

i said the same thing about the poly 318 my dodge originally had, but i didn't use any additive. when i pulled it apart, the seats looked ok, but that was just one car i know of... i was just wondering what everyone else thought

Old 04-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Three main things to consider:

A) valve seat recession;
B) swirl;
c) RON and MON.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Three main things to consider:

A) valve seat recession;
B) swirl;
c) RON and MON.

right! so tell us about your engine, cutlass...

Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
neslorelyks
CF Newbie

lead or no lead

I have been runnin a 350 olds for about 3 years now and it runs great on unleaded fuel. Im not gonna put my foot in my mouth sayin using leaded is not recommended because we all know these engines were built around leaded gas but just from my experience so far, the engine has had no problems. Hope you get it runnin!
neslorelyks is offline   Reply With Quote