Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
r6 or r1?

for all of you that know what an r6 and an r1 is, please help me decide whether i should stick with my r6 or trade it in for an r1. and i'm open to more makes than just yamaha. any suggestions would help a bunch, thanks.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
I don't really know too much about motorcycles, the R1 looks a little better, according to me, but I don't know about their performance.
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
abless
CF Anti-Mullet
 
abless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The American Empire
Posts: 530
Why would you sell your R6 for a larger bike? Do you want more power?

I would stick with the R6. You can flog it more "legally". It's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than ride a faster bike slow.
__________________
abless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo
for all of you that know what an r6 and an r1 is, please help me decide whether i should stick with my r6 or trade it in for an r1. and i'm open to more makes than just yamaha. any suggestions would help a bunch, thanks.

If you're a bigger guy and can handle the power I'd get either the R1 or CBR-1000RR.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
I would stick with the R6. You can flog it more "legally". It's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than ride a faster bike slow.


Yeah, but it comes to the point on motorcycles, that it's 80% driver and 20% bike. Using professional drivers, a R1 beats out a R6 in the quarter by 3/4 of a second. It all depends on how a driver drives it. There's not that much of a difference, and trading in the R1 will ring up unnecessary costs. They're not that different. Both bikes hit 60 in less than 3. Are you really going to notice that little of a difference in the acceleration?

Not too sure about that second part, though....It's all a personal preference thing. For example, my friend thinks that R1's have the most comfortable seats imaginable, and would never take a R6 over a R1, but abless apparently thinks differently.

Other superbikes?

Suzuki GSX-R600/R1000
Honda CBR series (all are highly rated)
Yamaha R series

Here's a link to some performance listings; knock yourself out.
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
Why would you sell your R6 for a larger bike? Do you want more power?

I would stick with the R6. You can flog it more "legally". It's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than ride a faster bike slow.
well first of all it's kinda beat up, i've laid it over quite a few times and it has alot of miles on it and yes, i do want more power, i'm a phycho
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #7
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
ok screw the 1000cc deal. any suggestions on bikes between 600cc-750cc will work. oh yeah, i can't afford anything over 7k.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo
ok screw the 1000cc deal. any suggestions on bikes between 600cc-750cc will work. oh yeah, i can't afford anything over 7k.

Used Gixer 600. Fast, and if you look long enough, you can get one for 7k.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #9
abless
CF Anti-Mullet
 
abless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The American Empire
Posts: 530
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6RR(600cc I4)
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R(636cc I4)
Suzuki GSX-R750(750cc I4)
Suzuki SV-650S(650cc V-Twin)

(Click above bike for photo)

Are you hooked on I4's or would you consider a v-twin? If so, I would recommend a used Suzuki SV650(S). Very nice torque but lower top speed (~135). They are pretty common and cheap used. It would fall well below your budget. You could use that extra money for a new exhaust and jet kit or something.
__________________

Last edited by abless : 04-15-2005 at 11:28 PM.
abless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
on ebay there's a 2004 ducati 999s for 6k. should i go for it or does it sound like a big scam. the owner claims there's zero miles on it and the bike is in perfect condition. it sounds to good to be true.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo
on ebay there's a 2004 ducati 999s for 6k. should i go for it or does it sound like a big scam. the owner claims there's zero miles on it and the bike is in perfect condition. it sounds to good to be true.

SCAM!!!! Those are $15K+ bikes.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
ok you're probably right. there's no way anybody would sell a bike like that for 6k. also on ebay there's a '03 buell xb9r for 6.5k. does that sound about right or is it a scam too?
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo
ok you're probably right. there's no way anybody would sell a bike like that for 6k. also on ebay there's a '03 buell xb9r for 6.5k. does that sound about right or is it a scam too?

That's about right. New they are $8500, but I wouldnt buy an XB9R...kind of a boring bike to me. Low compression and doesnt rev as much as other DOHC 4v/5v bikes (It's ONLY OHV 2V!!!). Plus it's a little lacking in power with only 90hp.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #14
enzo
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
That's about right. New they are $8500, but I wouldnt buy an XB9R...kind of a boring bike to me. Low compression and doesnt rev as much as other DOHC 4v/5v bikes (It's ONLY OHV 2V!!!). Plus it's a little lacking in power with only 90hp.
yeah you're right, they don't have very much power at all, they just handle great and that's about it. i think i might go with the gsx-r750, maybe.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
abless
CF Anti-Mullet
 
abless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The American Empire
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
SCAM!!!! Those are $15K+ bikes.


Absolutly.
__________________
abless is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.