Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
CoRPS
CF Newbie
 
CoRPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 31
Opinions on TT Camaro?

Within the next 6 months, I plan on starting a twin turbo project. First I was planning on using a SN95x Mustang, but quickly cancelled that idea. What came ino my mind next was a 3rd gen F-Body, preferably a Camaro.

I chose the Camaro, 3rd gen specifically, because I've been driving one for quite some time, and I'm very much in love with it. With the new job I will be getting in june, my income will double, thus giving me the moneys nescessary to pay for the project, and the outrageous insurance payments.

I'm thinking about picking up a 1991 - 1992 Z28 5.7L 350. These cars came stock with 245@4400 HP, and 345@3200 TQ, and they weigh about 3,200lbs. Which is definately a satisfying number to start out with. With a sequential (one small for low revs, one high for high revs) turbo setup, what kind of numbers do you think I'll be puting to the wheels, as well as on the track?

This car will more then likely not be a daily driver.
CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 183
TT F-body....Go for it!!!

My friend has a 99 WS6 that is TT and that thing is mean! It will probably run 11s if not high tens with only a few other bolt ons done to it.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRPS
Within the next 6 months, I plan on starting a twin turbo project. First I was planning on using a SN95x Mustang, but quickly cancelled that idea. What came ino my mind next was a 3rd gen F-Body, preferably a Camaro.

I chose the Camaro, 3rd gen specifically, because I've been driving one for quite some time, and I'm very much in love with it. With the new job I will be getting in june, my income will double, thus giving me the moneys nescessary to pay for the project, and the outrageous insurance payments.

I'm thinking about picking up a 1991 - 1992 Z28 5.7L 350. These cars came stock with 245@4400 HP, and 345@3200 TQ, and they weigh about 3,200lbs. Which is definately a satisfying number to start out with. With a sequential (one small for low revs, one high for high revs) turbo setup, what kind of numbers do you think I'll be puting to the wheels, as well as on the track?

This car will more then likely not be a daily driver.

Well a sequential turbo setup would be a waste of time really with a V8...the only reason they did it for the Supra was because it was I6, the 3000GT VR4 and 300ZXTT were both V6 and had the same size turbo coming off each exhaust manifold. If I were you I'd drop the 350 and see about getting an LS-1 to drop in, put some nice good flowing heads, bore it out, put some extra strong internals in it (forged crank, pistions, rods...extremely tough valvetrain) and then grab yourself two Garrett GT3071R turbos .82a/r (good for a max of 500hp, each) and boost away. You wont be disappointed.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~


Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 04-19-2005 at 01:57 AM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
CoRPS
CF Newbie
 
CoRPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Well a sequential turbo setup would be a waste of time really with a V8...the only reason they did it for the Supra was because it was I6, the 3000GT VR4 and 300ZXTT were both V6 and had the same size turbo coming off each exhaust manifold. If I were you I'd drop the 350 and see about getting an LS-1 to drop in, put some nice good flowing heads, bore it out, put some extra strong internals in it (forged crank, pistions, rods...extremely tough valvetrain) and then grab yourself two Garrett GT3071R turbos .82a/r (good for a max of 500hp, each) and boost away. You wont be disappointed.


Ahh, see this is where in lies the problem. I'm going to be using the stock 350 for a few reasons. For starters, the cheapest LS1 I can ever find is about 4,000, and that's not including all the labor I'd have to put into getting the bitch in, L98 to LS1 swap isn't the easiest, or cheapest thing out there. Shit, if I wanted to go the LS1 route I'd drop 8-9K on a LS1 4th gen and use that, it'd be less weight anyway.

As for the turbo's, I'm trying to keep it mildly cheap. I'm going to be buying a TT Turbo kit from BBDesigns, he builds TT kits specifically for 3rd gen F-Bodies. The kit would cost me $3,600 - After that I'd have to buy an Intercooler and if I feel like it (and I will) BOV's. So I'm going to geuss upwards of 4,100 for the TT. It's not cheap, but all the parts are new, and I don't have to do a lot of fabbing as I would if I junkyarded everything.

Supposedly, if I go the BBDesigns route, I'd be getting ~650HP. If I add some spray, anywhere from 725-750HP.

Anyway, I need to head to bed, I'll talk a little bit more about this later. Just as a note, I plan on starting the project in July. I'm not going to be boosting it right when I get it, as I'd like to throw in a manual transmission first, then wait a few months to get the feel of the car to start the boost. I'd rather be safe then sorry.
CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Well a sequential turbo setup would be a waste of time really with a V8


Thats a complete lie. I suppose thats why the Lingenfelter TT Corvette Z06 was ranked number 1 super car by Car and Driver. Pfft, you haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about. The Supra has a twin turbo setup because its an I6? Did you ever think a TT setup would be a lot more efficient to produce the power they wanted than putting in say...a larger V8 engine. V6's and I6's aren't the only engines that can be fitted with twin turbos.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Thats a complete lie. I suppose thats why the Lingenfelter TT Corvette Z06 was ranked number 1 super car by Car and Driver.

Key Words to make everyone on here not care : Car and Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
The Supra has a twin turbo setup because its an I6? Did you ever think a TT setup would be a lot more efficient to produce the power they wanted than putting in say...a larger V8 engine.

You cant infer.... I never said 'The Supra is twin turbo because its an I6' (I said they used SEQUENTIAL turbos because it was an I6). I dont even know why you wasted your time posting the sentence after that... As it's common sense and again has nothing to do with my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
V6's and I6's aren't the only engines that can be fitted with twin turbos.

And lastly, no friggin shit.

I dont even know why you posted this, as it pertained no useful information and just explained to me you didnt understand what I was saying.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Key Words to make everyone on here not care : Car and Driver
Your opinion of a reputable magazine does'nt matter. Point is the company makes a twinturbo Corvette that does 216+mph, and they have been doing it for years. The Lingenfelther Corvettes are the most powerful Corvettes out there and they are all twin turbo. Yet you consider twin turbos on v8's to be a "waste of time". Yeah right...

You cant infer.... I never said 'The Supra is twin turbo because its an I6' (I said they used SEQUENTIAL turbos because it was an I6). I dont even know why you wasted your time posting the sentence after that... As it's common sense and again has nothing to do with my post.
"the only reason they did it for the Supra was because it was I6" Your words not mine

I dont even know why you posted this, as it pertained no useful information and just explained to me you didnt understand what I was saying
You're spreading biased mis-information. You're also making it seem as if 6 cylinder engines are the only engines that will benefit from a twin turbo setup. I believe correcting your wrongs is just as useful as any information pertaining to the subject at hand.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Point is the company makes a twinturbo Corvette that does 216+mph, and they have been doing it for years.

Don't forget the 1100 HP lingenfelter toronado capable of an estimated 270 mph, and a tested 237. (changed up the rear end)
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Key Words to make everyone on here not care : Car and Driver
Your opinion of a reputable magazine does'nt matter. Point is the company makes a twinturbo Corvette that does 216+mph, and they have been doing it for years. The Lingenfelther Corvettes are the most powerful Corvettes out there and they are all twin turbo. Yet you consider twin turbos on v8's to be a "waste of time". Yeah right...

You cant infer.... I never said 'The Supra is twin turbo because its an I6' (I said they used SEQUENTIAL turbos because it was an I6). I dont even know why you wasted your time posting the sentence after that... As it's common sense and again has nothing to do with my post.
"the only reason they did it for the Supra was because it was I6" Your words not mine

I dont even know why you posted this, as it pertained no useful information and just explained to me you didnt understand what I was saying
You're spreading biased mis-information. You're also making it seem as if 6 cylinder engines are the only engines that will benefit from a twin turbo setup. I believe correcting your wrongs is just as useful as any information pertaining to the subject at hand.

i don't know if you noticed, but he said SEQUENTIAL turbos would be a waste of time on a V8, not that twin turbos would be a waste. now, what's your take on sequential turbos on a V8, as i would like to know more about turbos...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i don't know if you noticed, but he said SEQUENTIAL turbos would be a waste of time on a V8, not that twin turbos would be a waste. now, what's your take on sequential turbos on a V8, as i would like to know more about turbos...

Sequential or Biturbo, whatever. Regardless to the configuration of the engine, a sequential turbo, or smaller/larger turbo, setup is created to reduce turbo lag while not greatly sacrificing the added power that two larger turbos would create. If his theory were true then V8 and V6 Audi's wouldn't have Biturbo setups. However they do have Biturbo setups because they are sedans and street drive-ability is kept in mind. Unlike your illogical buddy there, I happen to believe in giving as many un-biased ideas and solutions for projects. Sure, a sequential turbo setup may be a waste of time to him, but he thinks that sequential turbos are used for cars that only have one set of exhaust heads. Now onto more precedent business.

A twin turbo setup on a LT1 would definitely produce a great amount of rear wheel power. Keep in mind that when you increase the power of a car into extreme areas, the street ability of the car greatly diminishes. Properly tuned and installed, you would be able to decrease the turbo lag of a twin turbo setup greatly. However, if daily driving is to be kept in mind a sequential turbo setup on the LT1 wouldn't be as bad of an idea as you think. Not only will it give you a considerable amount of power, it may also be tuned to give you good gas mileage.

If you were going to perform this to a hot rod, track, or show car then a twin turbo setup would be the most efficient for the aforementioned purposed. However, if you wanted a daily driver with comparable power a sequential turbo might be up your alley. Still keep in mind that a properly designed twin turbo setup can be just as efficient for a daily driver than a sequential turbo setup.

It really all depends on what you would like to do with your money. A turbo is a turbo. They all force more air into the engine, and they all will improve the performance of your car. You'd have to do some research with people who have added twin turbo setups and sequential turbo setups to their 350's.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Sequential or Biturbo, whatever. Regardless to the configuration of the engine, a sequential turbo, or smaller/larger turbo, setup is created to reduce turbo lag while not greatly sacrificing the added power that two larger turbos would create. If his theory were true then V8 and V6 Audi's wouldn't have Biturbo setups. However they do have Biturbo setups because they are sedans and street drive-ability is kept in mind. Unlike your illogical buddy there, I happen to believe in giving as many un-biased ideas and solutions for projects. Sure, a sequential turbo setup may be a waste of time to him, but he thinks that sequential turbos are used for cars that only have one set of exhaust heads. Now onto more precedent business.

A twin turbo setup on a LT1 would definitely produce a great amount of rear wheel power. Keep in mind that when you increase the power of a car into extreme areas, the street ability of the car greatly diminishes. Properly tuned and installed, you would be able to decrease the turbo lag of a twin turbo setup greatly. However, if daily driving is to be kept in mind a sequential turbo setup on the LT1 wouldn't be as bad of an idea as you think. Not only will it give you a considerable amount of power, it may also be tuned to give you good gas mileage.

If you were going to perform this to a hot rod, track, or show car then a twin turbo setup would be the most efficient for the aforementioned purposed. However, if you wanted a daily driver with comparable power a sequential turbo might be up your alley. Still keep in mind that a properly designed twin turbo setup can be just as efficient for a daily driver than a sequential turbo setup.

It really all depends on what you would like to do with your money. A turbo is a turbo. They all force more air into the engine, and they all will improve the performance of your car. You'd have to do some research with people who have added twin turbo setups and sequential turbo setups to their 350's.

thanks, that was exactly what i was looking for
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
CoRPS
CF Newbie
 
CoRPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 31
On a side note however, the third generation F-Bodies didn't come with LT1's. They did, however come with L98's.

Lately, people have been telling me to ust install an LT1 into my car with a 6sp tranny, and install the TT setup like that. In a way, it would be cheaper, however as swap was in progress, I would have no car. I just don't have any idea how long it would take me to take out a V6 3.1L and install a 5.7L LT1
CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRPS
On a side note however, the third generation F-Bodies didn't come with LT1's. They did, however come with L98's.

Lately, people have been telling me to ust install an LT1 into my car with a 6sp tranny, and install the TT setup like that. In a way, it would be cheaper, however as swap was in progress, I would have no car. I just don't have any idea how long it would take me to take out a V6 3.1L and install a 5.7L LT1

I know, I was inferring that he should install an LT1. V6-V8 swaps in F-bodies are fairly easy. The engine practiaclly bolts in and you just need some parts that the V8 has.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.