Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Greckle
CF Newbie

'88 S-10 blazer. Clutch problems

Hey folks, I stumbled across this forum today while I was lookin' for some help on a clutch problem I'm having. First lemme say I'm not much of a mechanically inclined person So you may have to ask more details than I give initially.

Here's the problem.

At the start of the morning everything seems fine with the Clutch. Shifts fine, no grinding no noticeable problems. After driving for some time I start getting quite a bit of play in the clutch before it actually engages. By the time I got home last night I had about 8 inches or more of play that I could just bounce the clutch pedal. I had to pretty much stand on it to get it to engage and even then I couldn't shift into 1st or 2nd gears. All the others were fine. I get up this morning to look at it and I'm back to only having an inch or so of play and everything seems to work fine again.

I know that as I drive it it'll start to slowly drop and I'll get more and more play outta the pedal before it engages. It's been doing this for some time now, but yesterday is the first time It's gotten bad enough that it wouldn't go into gear at all. Luckily I was just pulling into my driveway. If anyone has any thoughts or might be able to suggest anything I greatly appreciate any help.

1988 Chevy S-10 Blazer
2.8 Litre
4 Wheel Drive

Greckle
Greckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greckle
Hey folks, I stumbled across this forum today while I was lookin' for some help on a clutch problem I'm having. First lemme say I'm not much of a mechanically inclined person So you may have to ask more details than I give initially.

Here's the problem.

At the start of the morning everything seems fine with the Clutch. Shifts fine, no grinding no noticeable problems. After driving for some time I start getting quite a bit of play in the clutch before it actually engages. By the time I got home last night I had about 8 inches or more of play that I could just bounce the clutch pedal. I had to pretty much stand on it to get it to engage and even then I couldn't shift into 1st or 2nd gears. All the others were fine. I get up this morning to look at it and I'm back to only having an inch or so of play and everything seems to work fine again.

I know that as I drive it it'll start to slowly drop and I'll get more and more play outta the pedal before it engages. It's been doing this for some time now, but yesterday is the first time It's gotten bad enough that it wouldn't go into gear at all. Luckily I was just pulling into my driveway. If anyone has any thoughts or might be able to suggest anything I greatly appreciate any help.

1988 Chevy S-10 Blazer
2.8 Litre
4 Wheel Drive

Greckle

sounds to me like the clutch master and/or slave cylinder is getting weak... look for leaks around both...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Greckle
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
sounds to me like the clutch master and/or slave cylinder is getting weak... look for leaks around both...

When you say check for leaks I'm assuming you mean for leaks of the clutch fluid, right? I checked the fluid this morning and it's full as always.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
dodger65

Quote:
When you say check for leaks I'm assuming you mean for leaks of the clutch fluid, right? I checked the fluid this morning and it's full as always.

right. that's the easiest way to determine if they are bad, but some times the seals go bad internally. to verify the weak cylinder condition, have a second person help you measure clutch fork travel when it is working right, and when it is acting up. if it's one of the cylinders, it will not be moving the clutch fork as far when it is not working right.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Greckle
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
right. that's the easiest way to determine if they are bad, but some times the seals go bad internally. to verify the weak cylinder condition, have a second person help you measure clutch fork travel when it is working right, and when it is acting up. if it's one of the cylinders, it will not be moving the clutch fork as far when it is not working right.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
dodger65

Quote:
Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

no prob--let us know how you make out or if you need anything else