Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
buddycraigg
CF Newbie

Speaker polarity question

Someone once told me that you can figure out the polarity of a speaker by touching a 9vold battery to the leads.

If the diaphragm pushes out then you have the positive side of the battery connected to the positive lead of the speaker.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for the help

Buddy Craigg
buddycraigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Speaker polarity question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddycraigg

Someone once told me that you can figure out the polarity of a speaker by touching a 9vold battery to the leads.

If the diaphragm pushes out then you have the positive side of the battery connected to the positive lead of the speaker.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for the help

Buddy Craigg

I honestly don't know the answer but I know how to find out. Sounds like something to try in the morning. I'll let you know what I learn. Aren't most car speakers polarity defined by terminal size anyway? Big for positive and small for negative.

Helpful hint... It's not really necessary to post a question twice. It can actually be very confusing trying to follow two threads for one topic.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
buddycraigg
CF Newbie

it has been verified by my other forum.
Iím sorry if posting in two different sections bothers you.
I have found in car forums that you will have a group that only stay in one section.
Since this was a fairly generalized question, I thought that I might get an answer faster if I posted in both sections.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
buddycraigg
CF Newbie

and for the record i got an anwser faster in the tech section.
8 minutes. over here
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043980.html
Old 12-22-2003, 07:30 PM   #5
shady360
CF Newbie

Speaker Polarity Question

Okay, this is probably dumb, and I should probably know this, but, how do I figure out the polarity of the speaker wires in the car? The wires are not labeled or anything and they terminate at a dual female connector that accepts two male tangs of the same size. Is it just as simple putting a VOM on either lead and looking for + vs. - voltage?
shady360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:16 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Speaker Polarity Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady360
Okay, this is probably dumb, and I should probably know this, but, how do I figure out the polarity of the speaker wires in the car? The wires are not labeled or anything and they terminate at a dual female connector that accepts two male tangs of the same size. Is it just as simple putting a VOM on either lead and looking for + vs. - voltage?
Get out your meter and check for resistance between each wire and vehicle ground. Obviously the one that shows near zero ohms is the ground wire. This will only work if the speaker wires are attached to the head unit.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-22-2003, 09:41 PM   #7
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

::he said head unit::

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:07 PM   #8
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
::he said head unit::

And I thought I was immature

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:38 PM   #9
shady360
CF Newbie

Hey VW, thanks for the response. Well, check this out: I took my meter out and measured resistance on both and guess what, they both pinned the needle. So, I switched over to Volts. I left the one clip on the ground and then measured voltage across each terminal. Well, I got voltage out of both. WTF? Is this possible? FYI, this is a 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks again.

Jay
Old 12-23-2003, 12:56 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Speaker polarity question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady360
Hey VW, thanks for the response. Well, check this out: I took my meter out and measured resistance on both and guess what, they both pinned the needle. So, I switched over to Volts. I left the one clip on the ground and then measured voltage across each terminal. Well, I got voltage out of both. WTF? Is this possible? FYI, this is a 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks again.

Jay
Yes, this is strange indeed. Let me talk to my son the stereo boy and get his opinion.

BTW, if you're just looking for a quick answer your Jeep's factory wiring will have a stripe (usually white) on the ground wire to each speaker.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:09 AM   #11
shady360
CF Newbie

Well, without going out to the parking lot to look, off-the-top-of-my-head there is a stripe on each of the two wires. Whether or not they are both white stripes I'll have to check in the daylight tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help thus far.

Jay
Old 12-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
shady360
CF Newbie

Okay, right side front speaker there are two wires, one is blue the other is purple. No stripes on either of them. I'm confused.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

So am I. I also talked to my kid about testing the wires with an ohm meter and told him your results, now he's confused too.

Is it possible you have a short somewhere or a damaged head unit?

Old 12-26-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
shady360
CF Newbie

I don't think so. The Jeep is brand new. I picked it up at the dealer 2 weeks ago and I got the head unit in a sealed box about a week ago. Not that it's not possible, but I just don't think it's likely. Maybe I did something wrong. With family Christmas obligations and all I haven't had much time to tinker with it. I plan on playing with it some today. I'll measure the stuff again and let you know. Thanks.

Jay
Old 12-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #15
shady360
CF Newbie

Okay, I did it again, but on a different speaker this time. I am pinning the needle (ie 0 ohms) and I am measuring 6.5 volts on each speaker lead with one VOM lead to ground. So the voltage is split evenly across the two terminals. Now keep in mind that Daimler Benz owns Chrsyler and Jeep these days. Is this something that is common on foreign cars, maybe? I'm probably fishing, but thought it was worth mentioning.