Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
bk63

Saturn VUE and the VTI transmission

Anybody have one of these with the variable transmission? Into the dealer at 1000 miles to have the tranny reprogrammed. Going back in for more rumbling noises going around corners. Very smooth on the highway but it has it's own set of problems. Anybody familiar with this?
BK
Old 07-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Saturn VUE and the VTI transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk63
Anybody have one of these with the variable transmission? Into the dealer at 1000 miles to have the tranny reprogrammed. Going back in for more rumbling noises going around corners. Very smooth on the highway but it has it's own set of problems. Anybody familiar with this?
BK

Of course it would be helpful to have more pertinent info but let's see what we can do working on assumptions.

Let's assume you had a drivability issue the first time based on the fact they "reprogrammed". Saturn currently has a replacement program for the VTi's, number 02-T-32. Can't find out why, I'm sure that's dealer info only. Just walking in and knowing about it might shake them up though.

Let's assume your current issue is noise only. Found a TSB that might cover your situation. Seems the CV axle spindle nuts are coming loose fairly often. That could cause your noise. They basically inspect, apply thread locking compound and retorque.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
bk63

I can try to make this a little more clear. On the highway it used to have a rumble sound and vibration under light throttle at 55 to 65 mph. Saturn did the transmission control module replacement and reprogrammed and that problem is definately gone. They said the torque converter was locked up and would not release at that speed and that caused the problem. Now when the vehicle is cold, when I make sharp turns, like in parking lots, turning onto side streets, I hear the same rumble\vibration until I straighten out the wheel. This problem goes away after the vehicle is driven for about 20 minutes so warming up has something to do with it. There is also some creaking/popping type of sound definately in the front end on turns. This does not go away with warm up.