Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

Double Turbocharger + Honda Civic

I scratched the idea of getting a toyota avalon, and decided to get a Honda Civic. First I have a couple questions:

1. Is their such thin as a double turbocharger? And if so, can you get a decent one for around $1000-$2500? (Cheaper is better :p, as long as its decent)

2. What double turbochargers are compatible with a honda civic/how do you tell if one is compatible with a certain car?

3. How much horsepower can a double turbocharger add to a car?

4. What makes a double turbocharger (if it exist, google turned up some results but no actual places to buy one from so im a little skeptical), versus a regular turbocharger. And whats the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who answers and yes i've tried googling all of this.
Mayor Red Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
ahoo
CF Addict

im not that good but ill give it a shot.

just the basic and simple things,

superchargers give you low end power, meaning you will be able to accelerate off the line much quicker

turbochargers are the same but only at higher revs, so at the start it will lag a bit.

depending on what you want for your car, both are practically the same. i read off a magazine that this guy in an evo put both on his car(supercharger and turbo) dunno how he did it though

*edit*: dunno about this but i think a double turbo is just 2 turbos joined by 1 pipe leading to the actuall engine. ill let the more experienced guys handle this now...

It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam

Last edited by ahoo : 03-26-2005 at 02:43 AM.
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

that helps, yes i have read the howstuffworks article on turbochargers. It says that one turbocharger can increase horsepower between 30-40% since their is some error in it. So that brings the civic up from 115 to 155.25 horsepower, using the mean of the %'s given by howstuff works. Now if I have two double chargers will that take that second number (155.25 horsepower), and increase that by %30-%40 giving an average of approximatly 210 horsepower? OR will it simply increase the stock Horsepower of the car from %60-%80 (average being %70 obviously), giving me around 195 horsepower?

Also, what are some other things to increase my horsepower on the civic? And what are two turbocharges (which is a double turbocharger i guess), that will be compatible with my honda civic in the price range of about $1250, or if you could simply tell me how to decide wether or not a turbo charger is compatible, and then gimme a site where I can buy them from.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
ahoo
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Red Beard
that helps, yes i have read the howstuffworks article on turbochargers. It says that one turbocharger can increase horsepower between 30-40% since their is some error in it. So that brings the civic up from 115 to 155.25 horsepower, using the mean of the %'s given by howstuff works. Now if I have two double chargers will that take that second number (155.25 horsepower), and increase that by %30-%40 giving an average of approximatly 210 horsepower? OR will it simply increase the stock Horsepower of the car from %60-%80 (average being %70 obviously), giving me around 195 horsepower?

Also, what are some other things to increase my horsepower on the civic? And what are two turbocharges (which is a double turbocharger i guess), that will be compatible with my honda civic in the price range of about $1250, or if you could simply tell me how to decide wether or not a turbo charger is compatible, and then gimme a site where I can buy them from.

$1250, i dont think that might be enough for a turbo setup in a civic since they are NA plus i live in new zealand so i cant really help you too much

It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:30 AM   #5
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

i can go up to $2000, i wouldnt want to but i can.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Red Beard
Is their such thin as a double turbocharger?
Looks like the answer is YEP!

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #7
Sniper1
CF Newbie

Wink

http://www.turbocalculator.com/turbo-works.html
http://www.turbo-kits.com/civic_turbo_kits.html
here are some sites to help with your findings. the first one tells you how it they work and the secound one is kits for honda civics and some prices.

But it is not called a double turbo charger it is called twine turbos.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
But it is not called a double turbo charger it is called twine turbos.
Is that because they're held together with rope?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-26-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
Sniper1
CF Newbie

no god you suck. they are called that because they are the same turbo but they are on two diffrent sides of the engine. but turn on at the same time and increases hp by about 70% almost.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:53 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
no god you suck. they are called that because they are the same turbo but they are on two diffrent sides of the engine. but turn on at the same time and increases hp by about 70% almost.
The same turbo on two different sides of the engine. How do they do that, cut a turbo down the middle? Read your post again, get out a thesaurus (do you even know what that is?) and with almost no effort, something you're obviously good at, you'll understand where the rope reference came from.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
Sniper1
CF Newbie

wow your dumb. did you not read i said they are meaning two. next time know what your talking about.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:03 AM   #12
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Not all TT setups have the turbos on opposite sides of the engine. You're generalising, or atleast talking about a general application

Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
wow your dumb. did you not read i said they are meaning two. next time know what your talking about.
Nope. Read your post. You very specifically said...

Quote:
...they are the same turbo...
It doesn't say anything about two. Words mean things Zippy (as in pinhead).

Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 AM   #14
Sniper1
CF Newbie

same as in the same type thats why it is twine meaning two that look the same. now you know.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:15 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
same as in the same type thats why it is twine meaning two that look the same. now you know.
It looks like we have a new winner in the "Stupidest Person to Ever Join a Forum" contest.

Try reading this if the words aren't too big for you; http://www.onelook.com/?w=twine&ls=a