Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
TC97
CF Newbie

Question 1997 Corolla Question

Alright, my car runs great for the most part. However, there are two things that im curious about.

#1 ) when my car fully warms up... i can turn on the vents and there will be fumes of exhaust coming out. Its not totally strong but its noticable.

Any Ideas?

#2) nothin to major... but whenever i push on the gas petal, i hear a faint squealing noise...

Ideas?

Ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
TC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
srober32
CF Addict

The exhaust smell could be a leak under the hood, check the manifold to pipe connection for carbon around it. The squeeling noise is probably a loose or glazed belt, check the surfaces of the belt for shine and/or cracks, if there are none the belt is loose, if it is glazed or cracked it needs to be replaced. If you do replace the belt, be sure to check all of the pullies for freeness and make sure they do not wobble.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
TC97
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
The exhaust smell could be a leak under the hood, check the manifold to pipe connection for carbon around it. The squeeling noise is probably a loose or glazed belt, check the surfaces of the belt for shine and/or cracks, if there are none the belt is loose, if it is glazed or cracked it needs to be replaced. If you do replace the belt, be sure to check all of the pullies for freeness and make sure they do not wobble.

thanks man, your input is greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
srober32
CF Addict

No problem, keep us posted, OK?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
TC97
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
No problem, keep us posted, OK?

Well i checked for a leak under the car when i stopped it and nothing was dripping at all. Quite mind boggling... could it be a hole in my exhaust somewhere?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:57 AM   #6
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC97
Well i checked for a leak under the car when i stopped it and nothing was dripping at all. Quite mind boggling... could it be a hole in my exhaust somewhere?

yes if the front pipe has a flex joint wire covered check here as the pipe crack's in the flex also check the joint at the manifold to pipe the gaskets maybe gone (need to have car running for this to feel for leaks(hot exhaust) careful of the pipe will be hot don't touch just run along pipe feeling for blowing exhaust from pipe)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
the lobster
CF Addict

check these

the 97 corolla has a three piece exhaust system.1)a catalytic converter2)a resonator/pipe assembly3)the muffler pipe assembly.a common problem on these cars is a hole in the bottom of the resonator,or an exhaust leak at the rear of the flexible covering before the flange that connects to the resonator assembly.there could be a leak .there are different belts for your car depending whether it has a/c or not or power steering.use genuine toyota parts.toyota use german made light bulbs,canadian tire use chinese ones.
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
TC97
CF Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
the 97 corolla has a three piece exhaust system.1)a catalytic converter2)a resonator/pipe assembly3)the muffler pipe assembly.a common problem on these cars is a hole in the bottom of the resonator,or an exhaust leak at the rear of the flexible covering before the flange that connects to the resonator assembly.there could be a leak .there are different belts for your car depending whether it has a/c or not or power steering.use genuine toyota parts.toyota use german made light bulbs,canadian tire use chinese ones.

would this be an easy fix...?