Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

My situation

Well, Iím going to give you guys a quick peek into my life, as Iím in a dilemna, and need some more opinions. Iím not asking what I should do, but rather what you would do if you were in my position. So donít start flaming me about how you arenít me.

I currently own a 1990 Ford taurus GL. Itís a good economy car, with a large engine (3.8L V6, same as in the mustang), but itís starting to have problems at 100k miles, and I want to get a faster, stick, RWD/AWD car. I just replaced the entire power steering system, and I hope to sell it for 800 bucks to a neighbor or something. So, Iím in the market for a new car.
There are a few options available to me. My aunt, down in california, just got a nissan maxima (which is a beast of a car, by the way), and wants to get rid of her 1991 Izuzu Impulse RS.

I drove the car, itís a 5 speed, with the chassis and suspension created by lotus. Not a bad car. Except that it has 140k miles on it. The driveshaft U-joint needs to be replaced, and the car is mis-firing above 2500 RPMs, which may just be a ECU problem. The real problem with it, though, is that parts for it are hard to find, and hence many repair shops have to call around the country, or even order JDM parts. Costly more than you can imagine. Sheís willing to give me the car for free, but I would need to replace those two parts, and the stock turbo is still inside it. Whether or not itís boosting is debating. Itíll need to be replaced soon also. Also, my friends and I want to take a road trip down to California this summer, as itíll be the last time weíre together for such a long time, and itíd be perfect to take 1 car down and 2 cars back.
Also, I have a friend from work, whoís selling his Camaro RS.

Heís currently replacing the blown transmission (which he blew himself, by street racing and dropping the clutch at redline) by himself with his mechanic father. Heís selling it for a SS camaro, and will give it to me for 3000.
Next, thereís a 1988 MR2, thatís been in the paper for a while

And itís having some engine problems. Which is partly okay, because Iím taking advanced automotive tech next year, and have access to lifts and cheap parts. The owner told me about having his car overheat, so heíd turn it off, let it cool down, run it, cool down; when it originally broke, for about 10 miles. (*Cringes*). He then told me that he found water in the oil. (*cringes some more*). Other symptoms combined point toward a broken head gasket. The exhaust system needs to be replaced also. The car has 130k miles. The seller is asking for 800, but Iím sure I can lower it to 300-400 seeing as how long itís been in the paper, and how bad of a condition itís in.
And, last but not least, my auto tech class sold a fixed ford laser to a student, who promptly filled the thing with too much oil, and the engine caught fire. We refunded the studentís money, and took the car back (Weíre cool like that). The engineís wiring is gone, the resevoirs need to be replaced, we need to sand-blast the thing, etc. etc. The car will probably go for 1000 at the end of next year, my senior year. It has 105k miles on it.

Moneywise, my job this summer should give me around 5,000 to spend.
------------------------------------------------
So, what would you do? What car would you take? What do you think is the best idea?

Last edited by Godlaus : 04-21-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
Spitsign
CF Newbie

I'd let them fix the Camero, and buy that, mainly because after trying to restore my XR4Ti and running out of time/cash, i'm sick of dealing with project cars

But, if you don't mind doing the work, I think the MR2 would be pretty neat to have, i've always liked them..
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
chloroform
CF Newbie

mr2 and save up for some kind of engine to swap in. thats a good price even with a bad engine.
chloroform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well i myself like the Camaro, especially for the price and since their doing the work on the transmission. But i like the Izuzu and you cant really beat that deal (free) and then the costs for the few parts you need. I kinda like the body sytle (theres a couple around here coupe and wagon) and plus it has a turbo. Whatever way you go be sure to post and let us know.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

BTW, are those pics of the actual cars?
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Well, Iím going to give you guys a quick peek into my life, as Iím in a dilemna, and need some more opinions. Iím not asking what I should do, but rather what you would do if you were in my position. So donít start flaming me about how you arenít me.

I currently own a 1990 Ford taurus GL. Itís a good economy car, with a large engine (3.8L V6, same as in the mustang), but itís starting to have problems at 100k miles, and I want to get a faster, stick, RWD/AWD car. I just replaced the entire power steering system, and I hope to sell it for 800 bucks to a neighbor or something. So, Iím in the market for a new car.
There are a few options available to me. My aunt, down in california, just got a nissan maxima (which is a beast of a car, by the way), and wants to get rid of her 1991 Izuzu Impulse RS.

I drove the car, itís a 5 speed, with the chassis and suspension created by lotus. Not a bad car. Except that it has 140k miles on it. The driveshaft U-joint needs to be replaced, and the car is mis-firing above 2500 RPMs, which may just be a ECU problem. The real problem with it, though, is that parts for it are hard to find, and hence many repair shops have to call around the country, or even order JDM parts. Costly more than you can imagine. Sheís willing to give me the car for free, but I would need to replace those two parts, and the stock turbo is still inside it. Whether or not itís boosting is debating. Itíll need to be replaced soon also. Also, my friends and I want to take a road trip down to California this summer, as itíll be the last time weíre together for such a long time, and itíd be perfect to take 1 car down and 2 cars back.
Also, I have a friend from work, whoís selling his Camaro RS.

Heís currently replacing the blown transmission (which he blew himself, by street racing and dropping the clutch at redline) by himself with his mechanic father. Heís selling it for a SS camaro, and will give it to me for 3000.
Next, thereís a 1988 MR2, thatís been in the paper for a while

And itís having some engine problems. Which is partly okay, because Iím taking advanced automotive tech next year, and have access to lifts and cheap parts. The owner told me about having his car overheat, so heíd turn it off, let it cool down, run it, cool down; when it originally broke, for about 10 miles. (*Cringes*). He then told me that he found water in the oil. (*cringes some more*). Other symptoms combined point toward a broken head gasket. The exhaust system needs to be replaced also. The car has 130k miles. The seller is asking for 800, but Iím sure I can lower it to 300-400 seeing as how long itís been in the paper, and how bad of a condition itís in.
And, last but not least, my auto tech class sold a fixed ford laser to a student, who promptly filled the thing with too much oil, and the engine caught fire. We refunded the studentís money, and took the car back (Weíre cool like that). The engineís wiring is gone, the resevoirs need to be replaced, we need to sand-blast the thing, etc. etc. The car will probably go for 1000 at the end of next year, my senior year. It has 105k miles on it.

Moneywise, my job this summer should give me around 5,000 to spend.
------------------------------------------------
So, what would you do? What car would you take? What do you think is the best idea?
Personally, I think the all of these options are no good.

Stay away from abused cars. They aren't the kind of car one has good luck with, anyway. But there are exceptions.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 AM   #7
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

I would go with the MR2. Toyota makes reliable cars in my opinion, so I would go with that. Use the money you save and you make to fix it up, you could have something very nice in the end.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

I don't think I'd be too keen to get a car that has been trashed from racing.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 AM   #9
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
BTW, are those pics of the actual cars?
No, just ones I found on the net to make my thread more interesting. The izuzu in california looks just like it, though.

Quote:
Stay away from abused cars. They aren't the kind of car one has good luck with, anyway. But there are exceptions.

lez see...Going away to college next year, probably to UW or WSU, might be able to save up more cash, maybe 10/11 thousand total, after all my misc expenses. Dunno if the taurus is going to last that long, though. What car would you point me in the direction of?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

I know that I would not get the camero. not point in buying a car that someone else has abused. I like the MR2 option myself but would suggest that you keep looking.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #11
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

I would go with the Izuzu. Turbo, looks good, very unique. Is it AWD?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #12
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

get the MR2 for lower, and then just replace the engine and shit, besides the engine it shouldnt cost TOO much
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

None are good options as only cars if you don't already have all the skills, tools, and space to fix and maintain them. Otherwise you can find yourself without transportation when you need it. ALL of them could make for fun projects as second cars, however, with the nod going to the MR2, as it would be the most fun, with the best economy, with the fewest mods, while still easy to work on and get parts for.

Anything that is cheap enough to buy for you will have high miles and probably need work. In this case, the MR2 seems the best bet, especially for the money. But can you handle not having it available to drive while you work on it?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
I would go with the Izuzu. Turbo, looks good, very unique. Is it AWD?

yup, with it's chassis and suspension by lotus. Like I said though, the U-joint alone will probably cost me 600-700 bucks because it would have to come from the east coast or JDM. I could replace it myself, but then the turbo comes into play. Where do I find a turbo that fits that model? Maybe a custom fabrication?

Quote:
get the MR2 for lower, and then just replace the engine and shit, besides the engine it shouldnt cost TOO much

the engine should ring up around 2500-3000 for the engine, and 1000 for labor, cuz engine swaps are out of my skill range, and too much time required of my dad.

Quote:
None are good options as only cars if you don't already have all the skills, tools, and space to fix and maintain them. Otherwise you can find yourself without transportation when you need it. ALL of them could make for fun projects as second cars, however, with the nod going to the MR2, as it would be the most fun, with the best economy, with the fewest mods, while still easy to work on and get parts for.

When I was replacing the power steering system in my car, I went without it for about 2 months (stupid BMW taking my place at the auto tech class) without it, and I managed, at my parents discontent. I should be able to bike to work, and in the summer that might be a good idea.

MR2 looks the best? Or should I keep on looking?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #15
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
yup, with it's chassis and suspension by lotus. Like I said though, the U-joint alone will probably cost me 600-700 bucks because it would have to come from the east coast or JDM. I could replace it myself, but then the turbo comes into play. Where do I find a turbo that fits that model? Maybe a custom fabrication?

the engine should ring up around 2500-3000 for the engine, and 1000 for labor, cuz engine swaps are out of my skill range, and too much time required of my dad.

When I was replacing the power steering system in my car, I went without it for about 2 months (stupid BMW taking my place at the auto tech class) without it, and I managed, at my parents discontent. I should be able to bike to work, and in the summer that might be a good idea.

MR2 looks the best? Or should I keep on looking?
MR2. Just what I said before.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote