Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Unhappy Diesel power

Hey, I have a mid-eighties Ford 8-cylinder Diesel truck. This thing seems to have almost no power to it, it barely gets along on its own power. It runs as though it were a gasoline engine that is way out of time. When you give it some gas it bogs down and has a knocking noise. Oil pressure & fuel pressure is fine, and the fuel filter is clean. I'm not quite sure what to do, any of you out there know what's wrong?
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper38
Hey, I have a mid-eighties Ford 8-cylinder Diesel truck. This thing seems to have almost no power to it, it barely gets along on its own power. It runs as though it were a gasoline engine that is way out of time. When you give it some gas it bogs down and has a knocking noise. Oil pressure & fuel pressure is fine, and the fuel filter is clean. I'm not quite sure what to do, any of you out there know what's wrong?

i no expert on diesel engine's but is the injector pump timed with the engine?
whats the exact year and model ? 150/250/350 4x4 4x2
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
i no expert on diesel engine's but is the injector pump timed with the engine?
whats the exact year and model ? 150/250/350 4x4 4x2
i am not either, thats why im asking you guys im posting this for a friend, im pretty sure its a 250 4x2, but i may be wrong, ill get the answer for sure tomorrow.
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper38
i am not either, thats why im asking you guys im posting this for a friend, im pretty sure its a 250 4x2, but i may be wrong, ill get the answer for sure tomorrow.

well 87 up to 96 i got some info on and i can look up 86 down
you will need some special tools for these checks on the pump
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
If its making a knocking noise its porbably ready to throw a rod. It needs a rebuild, someone hasnt taken car of it. How many miles does it have on it?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Compression.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
If its making a knocking noise its porbably ready to throw a rod. It needs a rebuild, someone hasnt taken car of it. How many miles does it have on it?
it has a little over 100,000 on it, and no, i doubt it could be that because it has always been taken care of, (scheduled oil changes etc.) its hard to describe a knock in writing, but its not like the kind where it would throw a rod.
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #8
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
well 87 up to 96 i got some info on and i can look up 86 down
you will need some special tools for these checks on the pump
special tools? like what? I think its an '86, is there a big difference between 86 down and 87 on up?
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 AM   #9
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper38
special tools? like what? I think its an '86, is there a big difference between 86 down and 87 on up?

tools to time the injector pump with the engine #1 cylinder
there little difference between the injector pumps they both need to be timed once you know for sure the year i can post the check for timing with engine off but once its running you need the tools to fine tune
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper38
special tools? like what? I think its an '86, is there a big difference between 86 down and 87 on up?

with fords, you sometimes have to know the original owner's mom's oldest brothers hair color to get parts & specs...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
i no expert on diesel engine's but is the injector pump timed with the engine?
whats the exact year and model ? 150/250/350 4x4 4x2
sorry, its a 1992 Ford F-250, 7.3 litre diesel, with 185,000 miles on it
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:34 AM   #12
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
So is it mid-eighties or a 1992?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44 AM   #13
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rockford. Ill.
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
So is it mid-eighties or a 1992?
i THOUGHT it was a mid eighties, i should have posted the question when i had all the right info. sorry.
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
srober32
CF Addict
 
srober32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 442
Next, question, is it a "turbo diesel" because if it is the turbo may be taking a dump. As for the knock, most diesels sound like they are going to explode under heavy acceleration, especially with higher milage.
__________________
When replacing your altenator, make sure your battery is fully charged.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
osborste
the canuck tech
 
osborste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper38
i THOUGHT it was a mid eighties, i should have posted the question when i had all the right info. sorry.

static timing procedure

1 Break the torque of the injection pump mounting nuts (keeping the nuts snug).

2 Rotate the injection pump using Tool T83-9000-C or equivalent to bring the mark on the pump into alignment with the mark on the pump mounting adapter.

3 Visually recheck the alignment of the timing marks and tighten the injection pump mounting nuts.

this is to get the timing set close then you will need to take it somewhere and have it set with more special tools similiar to setting the timing of a distributor(dynamic timing)

you may want to check the fuel pump to its a mechanical one the fuel delivery maybe low(less fuel=less power)
__________________

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!

Last edited by osborste : 05-21-2005 at 12:08 PM.
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.