Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2004, 04:37 AM   #1
thinkinboutatbird
CF Newbie

1994 Thunderbird?

I was looking for a good forum because I wanted to ask you guys if you think a 1994 Thunderbird would be a money pit or not. I have read some reviews and some people like them, some people have had nothing but problems. The car I lookedat has 125,000 miles, 4.6 SOHC V8, Auto with OD, Leather interior(near perfect condition), there is a little surface rust on the drivers door. Weather stripping on rear window would need to be replaced. it needs new brakes, dont know if it just needs pads or rotors or what, and it needs a new power steering pump. Paint on the front bumper is chipping, looks as if it has been re-painted once before, that is no big deal, I can paint it myself, but they want 2,000 o.b.o, and i haven't talked to the person selling it so i dont know any specifics, i would just like to know what you guys think, thanks
thinkinboutatbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: 1994 Thunderbird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinboutatbird
I was looking for a good forum because I wanted to ask you guys if you think a 1994 Thunderbird would be a money pit or not. I have read some reviews and some people like them, some people have had nothing but problems. The car I lookedat has 125,000 miles, 4.6 SOHC V8, Auto with OD, Leather interior(near perfect condition), there is a little surface rust on the drivers door. Weather stripping on rear window would need to be replaced. it needs new brakes, dont know if it just needs pads or rotors or what, and it needs a new power steering pump. Paint on the front bumper is chipping, looks as if it has been re-painted once before, that is no big deal, I can paint it myself, but they want 2,000 o.b.o, and i haven't talked to the person selling it so i dont know any specifics, i would just like to know what you guys think, thanks
Well with what you know is wrong with it you're in for a few hundred bucks, depending on if you can do the work yourself or not.. The T-Bird was around long enough that most problems were ironed out before '94.

The only real player is the engine. The 4.6 is good as long as it's well maintained. If it breaks it can get real expensive to repair so knowing the history is important. Two specific problems with it are cracking intake manifolds and coils going bad. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
thinkinboutatbird
CF Newbie

yea, i can do the brakes myself, ill just go to a junkyard to find a power steering pump thats no big deal. and yes i will ask everything about the maintenance records and all when i talk to the guy, but it also has a new battery, new "brainbox" and new tires. The new battery and tires dont mean much, but the new brainbox kinda makes me think that it may have some electrical problems, but i dont know. I also had figured I would need to put some money in it, but thats usual with a 2,000 dollar car. Do you think that this car might have electrical problems, i have read some reviews and a few people have had bad electrical problems. thanks for you help.
thinkinboutatbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

I drive a 95' V8 Tbird and I think it's a good car. There are some things to look out for though. The breaks are undersized and do need replacing more often than in other cars. I've never had any problems with the electrical. The car has 175,000 miles and the only major work done on it was replaced fuel injectors. I like the car because it's very comfortable and reasonably powerful. Good luck!