Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
D313373R
CF Newbie

Engine Swaps and What they take

I am looking into a 99 Subaru impreza because I like the looks, and i noticed their are no mods. I want to get more than 125 WHP so i was thinking hey a engine swap would be agood way to do that. I really don;t know much about the subject so enlighten me. Would it be possible to put say a 300zx twin turbo, or a Supra engine, or Even a Skyline in without a huge amount of modifications.

I'm a noob, but i'd apreciate this,

THank
D313373R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

It takes alot of work.. Its not just taking the engine out and putting the new one in like changing batteries... You have to change the motor mounts, transmission, and possibly readjust the chasis of the front end to fit the engine in.
EvilPodAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
D313373R
CF Newbie

i know the transmission ,but would matching the transimission with the axle be hard, and how long and expensive would it be. I can probably have some freinds help me out, but how much would it be for a mechanic to do it
D313373R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
chloroform
CF Newbie

i think the computer hook ups are a bitch on a impreza too cause of the 4wd and jap stuff.

its a 4 cylinder right? it might be hard fitting the wrong kind of 6 in there cause the imprezas are tight. a 6 with turbo might get hot in that confined space.
i would maybe look around for volvo or saab straight 5 engines but i dont know.

why not get a wrx sti engine? by all reason it should match up easily. 300hp and you can turbo it to your delight. and go flying off the road when those front drive wheels brake away!

i know a local mechanic who im friends with who will do an engine swap for $350 providing the engine matches without major problems. but if you dont know anyone expect to pay more.

Last edited by chloroform : 04-24-2005 at 05:46 PM.
chloroform is offline   Reply With Quote