Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
SHO Taurus 1994
CF Newbie

Failure

i have had my permit over six months now, can drive great on the road.. so today i go to take my test and i screw up the parallel parking. i was going in allright but my front end hit the front pylon.. sometimes i can do it , sometimes i just mess is up and i was nervous. anyone have any helpful hints?
SHO Taurus 1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

picture the pylon in its underwear? wait no, wrong situation... haha
no,
pass it untill you can see it in the back corner window, then stop, turn the wheel right, start to back up til youre about 45, then straightn out then start turning the wheel left when youre about what, inbetween the door and the fender? ( i havent parallel parked since i took my test... haha) and then once youre in, just straighten out.
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Practice! Its hard to give a general method when every car has its own dimensions...

You really want to learn the size and shape and turning arc of your car...a lot of people dont realize how much space they have paralell parking, and end up straightening out too quickly and wind up 3 feet from the curb.

I learned parallel parking the night before my test....practiced for a good half an hour...test came, I aced that part, but went too fast in a school zone

Anyway, try parallel parking in a manual steering car! Sheesh...thats what I drive now, its hell.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Vlad
CF Addict

Well, I learned parrallell parking during driver's training but its not on the test here in California, infact I only parked once when we came back to the DMV. Good luck on your next test.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
Martian
CF Newbie

Practice is the best tip anyone can give you. Having worked in shops for a fair bit, I'm comfortable parking most cars in any position (backing in, parallel, what have you), but I screw up sometimes if I'm in an unfamiliar car. mazda6man has the general technique right, but you really need to just practice it if you want to get it down. It'll eventually be second nature, but that takes a long time. Anyone I've taught to drive I've told it'll take about 40 attempts before they're even half way competent at it. No, that's not a typo, I do mean 40. It's a tough technique to learn and you really have to know your car well enough to get a feel for where you are in relation to the curb.

EDIT - and if anyone wants stupid reasons for failing a roat test, I can trump just about anything. I failed my first time through for running a yellow light. Had I tried to stop I would've ended up halfway through the intersection, but going through wasn't the right decision either apparently. I passed the second time with a perfect score, though.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian
EDIT - and if anyone wants stupid reasons for failing a roat test, I can trump just about anything. I failed my first time through for running a yellow light. Had I tried to stop I would've ended up halfway through the intersection, but going through wasn't the right decision either apparently. I passed the second time with a perfect score, though.

I have a good one. My buddy was sitting with the tester at the end of his test. The tester said he passed....but he hadn't parked yet. The tester asked him to back it in. So he backed it in and hit the wall.
(literally)

My ex girlfriend a few years ago was on her road test. She had taken lessons, so her test was in one of those cars with two steering wheels and two sets of brakes. They were at a stop sign or approaching one, and the tester thought she was going to go through it and slammed the brakes. She failed the test instantly, though she maintains that she wasn't going to go through.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote