Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #46
Mr. Horsepower
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa67_stang
but you'll agree that my original point still stands, right? the Cobra concept wasn't built to look like the Viper, the Cobra concept was built to look like the Cobra

i wasnt saying it was built to look like a viper, i was saying that it seems like there are an awful lot of similarities between them. It just seems like in designing the new cobra, designers may heva taken sume "cues" from the viper.
Mr. Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:26 AM   #47
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

and i was saying that it was much more likely that the Ford team was taking cues from the original, and if anything the Dodge team took cues from the first Cobra
till we get to talk to the designers though, i doubt that we'll know

i wish i knew now what i will know in thirty years, that would be nice...

the 'net has warped my fragile little mind
asa67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #48
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Isn't it nice when two people can disagree but still come to an understanding by acting like adults? Life is great dealing with smart people.

hmm?
oh shit!!

i mean.......... YUO SUCK VWHOMO!! YOU DONT NO ANYTING!!!!!

better?

Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #49
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Isn't it nice when two people can disagree but still come to an understanding by acting like adults? Life is great dealing with smart people.

hmm?
oh shit!!

i mean.......... YUO SUCK VWHOMO!! YOU DONT NO ANYTING!!!!!

better?
Why thank you asshole.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #50
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

Oh man you guys are a hoot. Nothing in the middle of this Thread intrests me. All I came in here to say is that I think it is sad that these days they have to make a 10 cylinder engine to be able put out 605 horses!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:09 PM   #51
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningseason99
Oh man you guys are a hoot. Nothing in the middle of this Thread intrests me. All I came in here to say is that I think it is sad that these days they have to make a 10 cylinder engine to be able put out 605 horses!

*sigh*
ok, tell us, O automotive genius, how should they have done it?
besides, it's a simple fact that, everything else being the same, more cylinders will make more power

Old 01-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #52
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
*sigh*
ok, tell us, O automotive genius, how should they have done it?
besides, it's a simple fact that, everything else being the same, more cylinders will make more power
Please allow me to intervene. At this point of the conversation we are usually told about the muscle cars of the late '60's/early '70's. The engines of that time DID NOT make as much power, by any measurement, as the engines of today. This is due to todays vastly superior engine management systems and more rigidly controlled manufacturing tolerances.

Yes, if you care to quote published numbers from back then you might get close but... The measurements back the were SAE Gross as opposed to today's SAE Net. That means the testing back in the day was done with no accessories being driven (water pump, alternator, etc), headers, open exhaust and so on. Todays numbers are attained with compete, as installed engines from the air cleaner to the tail pipes.

You may also want to compare the numbers to racing engines but that is stall apples and oranges. Yes, Warren Johnson is getting 1000 plus horsepower from a 500 cubic inch V-8, but can you drive it to the grocery store with the A/C on? I think not. The last comparison is normally the Honda S2000. Yes it puts out more hp per liter, but check the torque numbers and get back with us. Torque will always rule on the street.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #53
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

It gets 153lbs-ft at 7,500 rmps so ya for the size it puts out quite a bit of HP but the torque end of it lacks big time. So basically the point that you proved was that off the line most 6 cylinder sedans would take it out. In the long run the honda is a very quick car though. Torque owns nothing. It all depends what kind of driving you are doing really.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #54
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Torque owns nothing. It all depends what kind of driving you are doing really.

Now you've done it.

Prepare everyone...butter or plain?

:popcorn:

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #55
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

haha I'm ready........I enjoy playing the devils advocate quite often.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #56
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It gets 153lbs-ft at 7,500 rmps so ya for the size it puts out quite a bit of HP but the torque end of it lacks big time. So basically the point that you proved was that off the line most 6 cylinder sedans would take it out. In the long run the honda is a very quick car though. Torque owns nothing. It all depends what kind of driving you are doing really.
Look at what I wrote, street driving. Unless you fully understand the dynamics of horsepower and torque and how they affect the drivability of a car this conversation is pointless. On the other hand if you did I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #57
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

Just because you are racing in the street doesn't mean that you arn't going for top speed or distance. If I were trying to outrun a cop on the STREET, I think that I would feel a little better knowing that I could get away and reach higher speeds then if I stopped and lined up with him, that I could start to burn him at around 60 feet.

Eh, it is pointless arguing this. We obviously both know what the difference between torque and horsepower are.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 PM   #58
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Just because you are racing in the street doesn't mean that you arn't going for top speed or distance. If I were trying to outrun a cop on the STREET, I think that I would feel a little better knowing that I could get away and reach higher speeds then if I stopped and lined up with him, that I could start to burn him at around 60 feet.

Eh, it is pointless arguing this. We obviously both know what the difference between torque and horsepower are.
Great, now that that's over, how about addressing the rest of that three paragraph post that you so conveniently chose only the last sentence to contest.

Point of interest. I never said anything about racing and certainly not on the street. The term "street racing" is on oxymoron.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:23 PM   #59
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

This is my interpretation:

HORSEPOWER

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #60
BavarianWheels