Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #61
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I feel that if some critical thought is applied to your above examples we will find;

1. Is more an example of torque than horsepower. The engines available in that style of Peterbilt produce between 350-600 horsepower and between 950-1500 lb/ft of torque.

2. Is an excellent example... of balance.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:51 PM   #62
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Well...that's why I mentioned it's MY interpretation...

::thumbs nose (knowing my interpretation is flawed)::

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #63
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Well...that's why I mentioned it's MY interpretation...

::thumbs nose (knowing my interpretation is flawed)::
That's why I used the term critical thinking, I wasn't entirely sure if you were being specific or using the old gut feeling. :?

As for the thumb thing, try your index finger, it fits so much better. Remember, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't (or shouldn't) pick your friends nose.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #64
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

Ok well excuse me. If you were just "street driving" then neither torque nor HP would be much of a concern of yours. My grandfather goes "street driving" all the damn time. Do you really think that he cares about either of those. NO, he doesn't. We all know you didn't really mean just driving along in the streets.

For such an itellegent person, you really talk circles around yourself to the point where you try to make soooo much sense that you make none. You really shouldn't take things in such a litteral way just to try and create an arguement. I see no point in that.

Obviously testing cars back in the day is less accurate then today. We have new more advanced tools and gadgets these days. I think that it would be interesting to take a car that was tested...let's say in 1980 and check the specs, then teste the same exact car today and compare the specs. I really don't feel that there would be that much of a difference.

I think that you over analyzed my statement. The basic message was meant to be along the lines of....It was nice when you could buy a car with a stock 350 in it and work on it yourself to add horse power. You can't do that these days, if you wan't more horse power you either have to to spend tons of money on electronic parts or fork over tons of money and buy a car with lots of horsepower to begin with and plan on being happy with it because you can't really do too much to engines these days yourself. Unless you have the tools.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #65
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningseason99
Obviously testing cars back in the day is less accurate then today. We have new more advanced tools and gadgets these days. I think that it would be interesting to take a car that was tested...let's say in 1980 and check the specs, then teste the same exact car today and compare the specs. I really don't feel that there would be that much of a difference.

Are you sure "back in the day" was less accurate...and then say that, "I really don't feel that there would be that much of a difference." ???

Seems a bit off as two different conclusions within one small paragraph.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #66
drowningseason99
CF Newbie

2 is less then 3 but not by much. Ya know.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:17 PM   #67
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Just because you are racing in the street doesn't mean that you arn't going for top speed or distance. If I were trying to outrun a cop on the STREET, I think that I would feel a little better knowing that I could get away and reach higher speeds then if I stopped and lined up with him, that I could start to burn him at around 60 feet.

Eh, it is pointless arguing this. We obviously both know what the difference between torque and horsepower are.

i'm not sure that you do know the difference between torque and horsepower

street racing is what idiots do, it's what those at the shallow end of the gene pool enjoy, it's stupid, pointless, and dangerous

but, if you are on the street, in everyday driving, you want torque, why? because torque will move you out of the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Earnhardt
Torque is how hard you hit the wall, while horsepower is how fast you are going when you hit the wall
(yes, that was tasteless, so am i at times)

first question still stands, if a V10 was an idiotic way to do it, how would you have done it?
V8?
V6?
I6?
it has to be less than 10 cylinders, because you said that 10 cylinders was "sad"
oh, and by the way, what type of forced induction would you recommend for this miracle engine you would put in there

Quote:

I think that you over analyzed my statement. The basic message was meant to be along the lines of....It was nice when you could buy a car with a stock 350 in it and work on it yourself to add horse power. You can't do that these days, if you wan't more horse power you either have to to spend tons of money on electronic parts or fork over tons of money and buy a car with lots of horsepower to begin with and plan on being happy with it because you can't really do too much to engines these days yourself. Unless you have the tools.

ummm......... no, in the '80s they used the same testing that they do today (when did they start using SAE net testing Hobo?) the problem is that the manufacturers LIE about their numbers, so there has to be independent testing, which doesn't often happen

and if you think that you can't upgrade engines today, you are a tool, why aren't there very many parts for the 4.6L mustang engine? BECAUSE IT IS NEW
it takes time for parts to be made, there are mod motors that are in the 9's, saying that you can't get speed stuff for them is stupid

if a human made it, another human can improve it

i wish i knew now what i will know in thirty years, that would be nice...

the 'net has warped my fragile little mind
asa67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:20 PM   #68
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
then teste the same

you said "teste"!

:beavis and butthead laugh:

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:25 PM   #69
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ok well excuse me. If you were just "street driving" then neither torque nor HP would be much of a concern of yours. My grandfather goes "street driving" all the damn time. Do you really think that he cares about either of those. NO, he doesn't. We all know you didn't really mean just driving along in the streets.

For such an itellegent person, you really talk circles around yourself to the point where you try to make soooo much sense that you make none. You really shouldn't take things in such a litteral way just to try and create an arguement. I see no point in that.

1. I said street and I meant street. Horsepower and torque are in fact very important issues on the street. One extreme example is if you have none of the above you're pushing your car. Don't attempt to put words in my mouth and don't interpret what I say.

2. I'm the one trying to start an argument? Please tell exactly who it was who said;
Quote:
haha I'm ready........I enjoy playing the devils advocate quite often.
3. As long as the testing procedure was conducted the same way (Gross or Net) you would be absolutely correct. Modern "tools and gadgets" have nothing to do with power production.

4. I didn't over analyze anything, I only responded to what you said;
Quote:
All I came in here to say is that I think it is sad that these days they have to make a 10 cylinder engine to be able put out 605 horses!
You made no mention of building your own engine or how you may have gone about it. Words mean things and what you're saying in the two posts aren't even close.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #70
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It's 50% less, quite substantial.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:31 PM   #71
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

you mean 33% less....50% less would be 1.5

Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #72
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
Quote:
Quote:

Oops, look like I just had a dumbshit moment. Thank you for the correction.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #73
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe SJ actually means 33.333333333333333333333333...%

Since he's doing corrections.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #74
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe SJ actually means 33.333333333333333333333333...%

Since he's doing corrections.

or for that matter it could be 1/3 less!

Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #75
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

At any rate it seems our "devils advocate" has left the building. I wonder why.