Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
clancaster23
CF Newbie

Problem with 89 Taurus,, Help???

OK, I just put a 2nd engine in my 89 taurus. Here's what it's doin. It's a 3.8 by the way. It is idling high (around 2 when normal is below 1), and if I put it in drive or reverse, it wants to go by itself like it's giving itself gas and I don't eevn have to push on the accelerator. If I an at a red light (did this one time when I had to move it, I sit on the brake waiting for the light and the car is giving itself gas wanting to do so I am holding the brake but it's trying to go all alone. Any idea what the prob is here? I figure something wrong somewhere with fuel lines or something?? Any help anywhere????
clancaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

3 posts of the same?.... 8O

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
clancaster23
CF Newbie

3? I only posted it in 2 different forums cause I wasnt sure which to put it in
Old 01-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Problem with 89 Taurus,, Help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancaster23
OK, I just put a 2nd engine in my 89 taurus. Here's what it's doin. It's a 3.8 by the way. It is idling high (around 2 when normal is below 1), and if I put it in drive or reverse, it wants to go by itself like it's giving itself gas and I don't eevn have to push on the accelerator. If I an at a red light (did this one time when I had to move it, I sit on the brake waiting for the light and the car is giving itself gas wanting to do so I am holding the brake but it's trying to go all alone. Any idea what the prob is here? I figure something wrong somewhere with fuel lines or something?? Any help anywhere????
Well let's see. Your second problem is nothing more than a symptom of your first problem. Of course the car will try to "go all alone" if the idle speed is near 2000 rpm.

So why is the engine idleing that high. Well, there are several possible causes, none of them easy to diagnose online. Did you have someone perform this job for you? If so simply take it back to them and have them make it right. If not, let me know and we'll see what we can figure out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
3? I only posted it in 2 different forums cause I wasnt sure which to put it in

Try looking in the Domestic Cars forum...there are two of the same there... :?

Carry on with vwhobo.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Try looking in the Domestic Cars forum...there are two of the same there... :?

Carry on with vwhobo.
Thank you for your support. 8)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #7
clancaster23
CF Newbie

i HELPED THE GUY PUT THE ENGINE IN AND now he is unable (bad health) to do anything more with the car. Anything you can tell me to check/do would be helpful.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
i HELPED THE GUY PUT THE ENGINE IN AND now he is unable (bad health) to do anything more with the car. Anything you can tell me to check/do would be helpful.
Check in this order;

1. Vacuum leaks, this sounds like a fairly big one but maybe not.

2. Throttle linkage, possibly the throttle valve isn't closing all the way. Look for misadjusted or kinked cable.

3. Timing, if it's too far advanced the idle will never be happy.

4. Check for codes with a scan tool. Any of these items and more will show up as a code. Really this should be your first step but I'm guessing you don't have a scan tool.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
clancaster23
CF Newbie

"Vacuum leaks, this sounds like a fairly big one but maybe not"
Are you talking about the hose tha goes from the air filter to the engine? And what do you mean by it sounds like a fairly big one??

I do notice when I turn the engine off, I hear a humming sound like when a vacuum has something over the hose of it. A loud humming sound for a second.

"Throttle Linkage"? I know next to nothing about under the hood of a car (hence why I post my problem here). Where is this linkage and what should I do to see if it's working right.

"Timing" Check this with a timing light I assume? If so, how do you adjust it if it needs adjusting?

No scan tool. How do I, if possible, obtain one? If it needs to be purchased, whats the average price and where to buy?

Is the high idle the reason it's wanting to go itself? Cause for some reason it's consantly giving itself gas?

Thanks for all your help also.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
"Vacuum leaks, this sounds like a fairly big one but maybe not"
Are you talking about the hose tha goes from the air filter to the engine? And what do you mean by it sounds like a fairly big one??

I do notice when I turn the engine off, I hear a humming sound like when a vacuum has something over the hose of it. A loud humming sound for a second.

"Throttle Linkage"? I know next to nothing about under the hood of a car (hence why I post my problem here). Where is this linkage and what should I do to see if it's working right.

"Timing" Check this with a timing light I assume? If so, how do you adjust it if it needs adjusting?

No scan tool. How do I, if possible, obtain one? If it needs to be purchased, whats the average price and where to buy?

Is the high idle the reason it's wanting to go itself? Cause for some reason it's consantly giving itself gas?

Thanks for all your help also.
Look, there's no nice way to say this. From your response it's obvious you're way over your head when it comes to troubleshooting or even basic knowledge of your car ("I know next to nothing about under the hood of a car"). I can only explain so much without getting into Auto Repair 101 on this forum, so...

You and I will both be time and money ahead not to mention much less frustrated if you have someone who is a qualified tech diagnose and repair your car. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #11
stringer001
CF Enthusiast

check and make sure your throttle cable is clear of everything in your bonnet, if your car is fuel injected, get your injectors checked they may not have shut proberly or may have a slight hole. thats all i can think of.
strange problem
Old 01-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer001
check and make sure your throttle cable is clear of everything in your bonnet, if your car is fuel injected, get your injectors checked they may not have shut proberly or may have a slight hole. thats all i can think of.
strange problem
1. He has already said that he has no idea what the throttle linkage looks like.

2. I a fuel injector leaked or had a hole in it, the engine would run extremely rich and try to die, not idle high. I'm surprised you didn't learn that in school.

Old 01-10-2004, 12:04 AM   #13
stringer001
CF Enthusiast

sorry my bad, i shouldhave read the entire topic to read about the throttle linkage, and if the fuel injecter did have a whole it would be putting petrol in and keeping the revs up.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:57 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer001
and if the fuel injecter did have a whole it would be putting petrol in and keeping the revs up.
No, it would cause it to run rich and want to die. You need airflow to increase idle speed, a leaky injector does not provide that.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:00 AM   #15
SuperJew
I like pie.

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<is extremely lost with all this technical jargon

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote