Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
jdz97tbird
CF Newbie

97 Tbird Engine?

Will an aftermarket "performance" intake manifold from a 97 4.6L mustang engine fit on my 97 4.6L Tbird? If so are most engine, transmission and rearend parts for both cars interchangeable. Or if someone can point me to a good source on this question I would appreciate it. I just bought the Tbird from my mother and want to get a little more perfomance out of it she was the original owner and drove it like, well a mother would.

Thanks for the info in advance.
jdz97tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.

well about the first part if the two engines are the same, which they are, then yes, the intake will fit. about the second part i doubt it because of the different chassis/frame construction.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
well about the first part if the two engines are the same, which they are, then yes, the intake will fit. about the second part i doubt it because of the different chassis/frame construction.
What have I preached about assumptions my young Jewish friend? Yes, the engines are the same but the installation is slightly different. Because of that the OE manifolds are not directly interchangable, but can be made to work with some mods. So answer #1 is maybe, ask the manufacturer (what a bizarre concept).

The Mustang and the T-Bird are both Fox body platforms so many, not all, parts are interchangable. Again there is no blanket answer to this question, that's why every aftermarket manufacturer I know of has a tech help desk, use them.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
jdz97tbird
CF Newbie

I was hoping sombody would confirm the engine info. THANKS for your help. I do know that the intake manifold on the T-bird is a composite (plastic) material that is prone to cracking and I am thinking of modding the t-bird a little and figured the intake was the weakest link in the chain. Everything after that I can find. Headders, underdrive pulleys exhaust, ignition, transmission work and differential. So the road begins again V8's are great.

jdz97tbird is offline   Reply With Quote