Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
MoB YuNGuN
CF Newbie

Whats Better

Manual or automatic like alot of ppl that i ask say manual but its the same thing with automatic
MoB YuNGuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoB YuNGuN
Manual or automatic like alot of ppl that i ask say manual but its the same thing with automatic

Factory manual vs. factory automatic? I choose the manual. Generally more gears, I like control over the engine, heel and toe, double clutching.

After driving an auto for 8 months, and having the chance to drive a manual for about a total of 2 weeks, I would much rather have a stick shift and a 3rd pedal.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:10 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

It all depends on who you are. If you like feeling in control and knowing your actually doing something (not saying you dont do anything in in auto.) the manual is better. I'd much rather the feel of power and control over what i'm doing even in there is room for error and/or costly repairs.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
twoloud4urears21
CF Newbie

i have a automatic, gonna be coverting it to a manual, answers my thought
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Depends on the car. On a luxury sedan, like my XJ6, an automatic was all that's available, and it suits the car perfectly. On a car like the PT Curiser, the stock automatic is sloppy and slow. On cars like my PT Cruiser and my Fiat 124, the manual lets you get the most out of the engine. On a big engine musclecar, it's really not an issue, as either way, you get a lot of performance, with the automatic giving you more consistency.

In a performance car where consistency and the last little bit of speed is important, a modded automatic is going to be faster. But not every car has the parts available to get the most from the trans. Domestic cars have this market sewn up, ith shift kits and custom valve bodies, and performance torque converters available (the same way the imports have fuel maps, engine control modules, etc available). So for a v6 or V8 domestic, an automatic with $45-50 worth of parts will shift faster, firmer and more consistently than any manual, and give you as much fun driving, and you'll actually be more in control (though you won't have to move your left foot, except to use the brake).

On smal engine cars with narrow powerbands, I prefer manuals, and stay away from automatics unless I don't care about performance. On mid level engines, I like manuals but have no problems with good automatics. On bigger engine performance cars, I prefer autoamtics but don't mind manuals. On race cars, I prefer whichever is best suited to the particular job.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I would have to say that is good reasoning for your choices. Might just be me but i think i just learned a little lol.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
CarEXPERT
Banned

Ok but which would take off quicker? manual or auto saying that the engine and everything is the same?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Ok but which would take off quicker? manual or auto saying that the engine and everything is the same?
depends on the driver
Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT

Well, you can bring the revs up against the brake in gear in an automatic, and then just release teh brake when you want to take off. Compare that to bringing up the rpms with your foot on the clutch, then slipping the clutch slightly to take off (so you don't stall the engine or spin the tires). Either way can be effective. And generally they can launch the same (though you can be more consistent with the automatic). It's at the shift points that things get different. With an automatic, you keep your foot on the gas, and the trans shifts. If it's stock, the shift will be smooth, slip a little and possibly late. With a shift kit, it will be faster than you could shift manually, and happen when you want it to, with no slippage.

You could leave your foot down on the gas in a manual equipped car, but you run the real risk of breaking the transmission (or simply missing the gear) slamming it quickly into the next gear. So it's always best to let off the gas while shifting, no matter how fast you want to shift. This loses power while you're shifting, where an automatic keeps the power on and never stops accellerating. This is even more beneficial in a turbo car, as the turbo boost remains constant through the shift.

The reasons stock automatics accellerate so much slower in tests is that testers generally launch at idle (which they don't do with a manual trans version), and stock autoboxes are tuned for smoothness, not speed.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #10
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
depends on the driver
Thats true...it depends on the driver too. If you take too much time shifting, it can be slower than the AT...that's my case I've only driven a stick few times.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:11 AM   #11
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Well, you can bring the revs up against the brake in gear in an automatic, and then just release teh brake when you want to take off. Compare that to bringing up the rpms with your foot on the clutch, then slipping the clutch slightly to take off (so you don't stall the engine or spin the tires). Either way can be effective. And generally they can launch the same (though you can be more consistent with the automatic). It's at the shift points that things get different. With an automatic, you keep your foot on the gas, and the trans shifts. If it's stock, the shift will be smooth, slip a little and possibly late. With a shift kit, it will be faster than you could shift manually, and happen when you want it to, with no slippage.

You could leave your foot down on the gas in a manual equipped car, but you run the real risk of breaking the transmission (or simply missing the gear) slamming it quickly into the next gear. So it's always best to let off the gas while shifting, no matter how fast you want to shift. This loses power while you're shifting, where an automatic keeps the power on and never stops accellerating. This is even more beneficial in a turbo car, as the turbo boost remains constant through the shift.

The reasons stock automatics accellerate so much slower in tests is that testers generally launch at idle (which they don't do with a manual trans version), and stock autoboxes are tuned for smoothness, not speed.

THANKS for the response ChrisV.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote