Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
Biniecki
CF Newbie

'92 Eagle Talon Won't Start

Heres the deal, a guy near where i live is selling a '92 Eagle Talon for cheap. The car is in great condition except for it wont fire up anymore. I talked to the guy selling it and he told me that it has been overheating lately. He fixed the problem the first time by replacing the water pump belt and thermostat. The problem then came back again and now he thinks its either the radiator or the possibly the water pump, but from talking to this guy he doesnt seem that bright and the system just might need a flush. He told another interested buyer that they could test drive it but just drive it around town; not on the express way, so that it wouldnt overheat. The interested buyer disregaurded the warning and took it on the express way and it overheated. The car has a sensor that automaticly shuts the vehicle off when it overheats and wont allow the car to start until it has cooled off. Once it had cooled down he tried to start it and it wouldnt fire. It will crank over but it seems like its not getting any spark or something. The owner thinks it might be the cap and router, spark plugs, or starter. If its turning over its not the starter lol. The owner told me that the car ran great (except for overheating) before the interested buyer test drove it and made it overheat. I think it might just be the engine temperature sensor that needs to be replaced. Just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they fixed it and also see what everyone else thinks might be causing the problem.
Biniecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biniecki
Heres the deal, a guy near where i live is selling a '92 Eagle Talon for cheap. The car is in great condition except for it wont fire up anymore. I talked to the guy selling it and he told me that it has been overheating lately. He fixed the problem the first time by replacing the water pump belt and thermostat. The problem then came back again and now he thinks its either the radiator or the possibly the water pump, but from talking to this guy he doesnt seem that bright and the system just might need a flush. He told another interested buyer that they could test drive it but just drive it around town; not on the express way, so that it wouldnt overheat. The interested buyer disregaurded the warning and took it on the express way and it overheated. The car has a sensor that automaticly shuts the vehicle off when it overheats and wont allow the car to start until it has cooled off. Once it had cooled down he tried to start it and it wouldnt fire. It will crank over but it seems like its not getting any spark or something. The owner thinks it might be the cap and router, spark plugs, or starter. If its turning over its not the starter lol. The owner told me that the car ran great (except for overheating) before the interested buyer test drove it and made it overheat. I think it might just be the engine temperature sensor that needs to be replaced. Just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they fixed it and also see what everyone else thinks might be causing the problem.

the overheating could be the water pump vane's(fin's) are worn away or the rad plugged cooling fins
the important thing is need to check for fuel and spark
after attempting to start pull a plug is it wet smell of fuel then with the plug out you can check for spark use something non conductive to hold the plug with plug wire joined ground the threads to the block and crank the car (need 2 people) any spark need to know this to continue

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Biniecki
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
the overheating could be the water pump vane's(fin's) are worn away or the rad plugged cooling fins
the important thing is need to check for fuel and spark
after attempting to start pull a plug is it wet smell of fuel then with the plug out you can check for spark use something non conductive to hold the plug with plug wire joined ground the threads to the block and crank the car (need 2 people) any spark need to know this to continue

Thanks for the info but it kind of out of my hands to actually do anything cuz i dont own the car yet but highly considering getting it. For $700 bucks its a steal that just needs a little work
Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Thanks for the info but it kind of out of my hands to actually do anything cuz i dont own the car yet but highly considering getting it. For $700 bucks its a steal that just needs a little work

you may want to have someone who know about car repair go and check it with you.
you may spend 700.00 but how much to get it on the road ?

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #5
Biniecki
CF Newbie

Well the way I look at it I would offer the guy $500 and he is also throwing in a set of 16" rims, which i could sell easily on ebay for $100 that would leave me with a $400 investment even if i had to invest a couple hundred to get it on the road it would still be one hell of a deal. Worst case I could always part the car out for $400+ easy

I just dont see it as being any major problem causing the car not to fire. Only parts i can thing of would be: plugs, wires, cap, router, battery, sensor, fuse, injectors, or pump. None of which are very expensive. Can you think of any other parts that may be causing the problem.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Well the way I look at it I would offer the guy $500 and he is also throwing in a set of 16" rims, which i could sell easily on ebay for $100 that would leave me with a $400 investment even if i had to invest a couple hundred to get it on the road it would still be one hell of a deal. Worst case I could always part the car out for $400+ easy

I just dont see it as being any major problem causing the car not to fire. Only parts i can thing of would be: plugs, wires, cap, router, battery, sensor, fuse, injectors, or pump. None of which are very expensive. Can you think of any other parts that may be causing the problem.

fuel pump
fuel relay
ignition coil
ignition module
ecm(computer)

my new toy

Old 05-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Biniecki
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
fuel pump
fuel relay
ignition coil
ignition module
ecm(computer)

never considered the ignition parts, or the ecm (highly doubt that its bad)

I dont think there is a check engine light or anything on would i still be able to hook it up to some sort of electronical device to possibly get an error code or something out of it