Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Vaspier
CF Newbie

Differential question

Ok, i really dont know much about differentials and i was wondering. My Dart normally drives with the rear right wheel, but when i do a burn out, i notice that there is a patch on the left side at times too. I havent really been able to test it much though, but does this mean that it has a limited slip diff? because i know its not posi. limited is when one tire starts to spin and then the power is transfered to the other wheel right? if so then i think this is what i have.

Embrace the Dart.
Vaspier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Differential

God man, if that is your Mopar on this page and you don't know the answer to your question....you get what I am saying.....

Anyways, a "posi" rear end stands for positive traction, meaning both wheels are driven at the same time. Limited Slip is the SAME exact thing, just another name. Internally, there are typically clutch packs that lock both drive axles to the rear wheels together so that you don't have just a one-wheel-drive. So if you had a positive traction or "limited slip" rear end and you did a burnout, you would have two identical black burns on the road. If you only have one or mainly one with a little bit of two burnout marks, you have a standard rear axle that is NON posi and NON Limited slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaspier
Ok, i really dont know much about differentials and i was wondering. My Dart normally drives with the rear right wheel, but when i do a burn out, i notice that there is a patch on the left side at times too. I havent really been able to test it much though, but does this mean that it has a limited slip diff? because i know its not posi. limited is when one tire starts to spin and then the power is transfered to the other wheel right? if so then i think this is what i have.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote