Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #16
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I donbt think it'd make TOO much of a difference. Are you wanting this as strictly a track car or do you want it so you can use it as a 'daily driver' during the week and a race car on the weekends? It also all depends on how much time/money your willing to put into the car. I'm sure it can be done.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #17
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I donbt think it'd make TOO much of a difference. Are you wanting this as strictly a track car or do you want it so you can use it as a 'daily driver' during the week and a race car on the weekends? It also all depends on how much time/money your willing to put into the car. I'm sure it can be done.
He doesn't know what he wants, he's a highschool ricer magazine junkie that got ahold of an american small block v-8 car.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 AM   #18
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
He doesn't know what he wants, he's a highschool ricer magazine junkie that got ahold of an american small block v-8 car.
I wish i could be so lucky (not the junky part but to get a hold of an American classic, love the old cars). Why 'rape' a cara like that when you can enjoy it stock or close to it. Minor changes are good but dont go too overboard.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:50 AM   #19
sofaking
CF Newbie

the 340 can run 9's i dont know who said it would be hard todo but its very possible.....you will need to spend alot of dollars to get it into this range but it can be done
sofaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:14 AM   #20
crazy4cars
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaking
the 340 can run 9's i dont know who said it would be hard todo but its very possible.....you will need to spend alot of dollars to get it into this range but it can be done

thank you sofaking and screw you dodgerida. o shit this is mopar man i'm on my friends name

Last edited by crazy4cars : 05-15-2005 at 02:19 AM.
crazy4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #21
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMan
I saw this thing called a turbonator. You install it in the intake tube and its supposed to give you an increase in hp and better gas mileage. Do you know anyone who has one and/or do you thing its worth it to spend the 70 dollars for it? And never call me a ricercheck it out if you wish. I haven't got my hands on a car yet either, I'm just checking what I should do with it if I do.

Don't waste your money!!! Its all a gimmick.

I do have a few thoughts....

1) Running a 1/4 in the times you are asking for takes more than a fast car, reaction time a skill play a very very large role.

2) Also don't expect a few bolt ons to get you to where you want to be.

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-04-2005 at 12:21 AM.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:32 AM   #22
MoparMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Don't waste your money!!! Its all a gimmick.

I do have a few thoughts....

1) Running a 1/4 in the times you are asking for takes more than a fast car, reaction time a skill play a very very large role.

2) Also don't expect a few bolt ons to get you to where you want to be.

it could be a gimmick and all but there is a 30 day money back guarantee which means i could drive it around a whileand test if it gives at least better gas mileage.
MoparMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 AM   #23
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
it could be a gimmick and all but there is a 30 day money back guarantee which means i could drive it around a whileand test if it gives at least better gas mileage.

Very true... If you do get it.. report what you find... we'd love to have an unbias report.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:04 AM   #24
FordFromHell351
Banned

I dont think youll be needing exhaust tips if your wanting to run 9s, more like running open headers. Id go with a with Holley stuff, Probe Industries, etc. just make sure you actually have the money to spend, and that you know how to handle a car that fast.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #25
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:

It does nothing and your "testing" will not be scientific enough to prove it one way or the other. Trust me and don't waste your time; or don't, your call!

It would appear that you don't have the knowledge or experience (and probably not the finances) to build a 9 or 10 second street car. A Demon 340 is a great car and is one of the fastest small blocks ever built. Be happy with a 13 or 14 sec Demon and maybe one day you'll be ready to build a racecar. In the meantime, slow upgrades and changes to the 340 Demon should keep you interested and occupied.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #26
MoparMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier
It does nothing and your "testing" will not be scientific enough to prove it one way or the other. Trust me and don't waste your time; or don't, your call!

It would appear that you don't have the knowledge or experience (and probably not the finances) to build a 9 or 10 second street car. A Demon 340 is a great car and is one of the fastest small blocks ever built. Be happy with a 13 or 14 sec Demon and maybe one day you'll be ready to build a racecar. In the meantime, slow upgrades and changes to the 340 Demon should keep you interested and occupied.

Cheers,
Dave

you're right i dont have the knowledge or experience. I'm only 14, but now i saw a '69 Formula S Cuda that my uncle is planning to sell, so i can probably get a good price. It has a 340 engine too, but later on i plan on buying a larger engine for it.
MoparMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #27
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4cars
thank you sofaking and screw you dodgerida. o shit this is mopar man i'm on my friends name
Sorry for stating the truth, next time I'll sugar-coat it for the people that can't handle it.

NOT.

But have a nice one.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #28
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
you're right i dont have the knowledge or experience. I'm only 14, but now i saw a '69 Formula S Cuda that my uncle is planning to sell, so i can probably get a good price. It has a 340 engine too, but later on i plan on buying a larger engine for it.

I knew you were only 14 (or thereabouts), and that's OK! My son is 14 and is getting interested in cars too. An A-body Mopar with a 340 is a potent musclecar, don't sell it short; you may find it has more power than you think. If you can afford it and it doesn't need more work than you are capable of doing (or paying someone else to do), then get it and enjoy it. Save the dreams of 500ci big blocks, tubs and slicks and 9 sec. 1/4mi times for down the road.
Just my advice.

Dave
Old 05-16-2005, 03:41 AM   #29
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree with Dave. Nobody starts with a 9 sec car. You build up to it. My first car was a 67 VW Bug (maybe a 20 sec car) I loved it and thought it fast. The worst thing you can do is lose sight of what makes you happy. Don't follow the crowds, find out what makes you happy and do it. There are many great cars out there that are far from running 9 secs.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #30
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
I agree with Dave. Nobody starts with a 9 sec car. You build up to it. My first car was a 67 VW Bug (maybe a 20 sec car) I loved it and thought it fast. The worst thing you can do is lose sight of what makes you happy. Don't follow the crowds, find out what makes you happy and do it. There are many great cars out there that are far from running 9 secs.

This topic reminds me of my younger days. My brother found a car he wanted to buy when he was 16; it was a 1968 GTO that had a transplanted 427 450hp L-72 out of a '66 'vette. Very fast. Anyway, my dad hummed and hawed over letting him get it. I told Dad that he'd be fine with it while I secretly figured he'd crash it, but hopefully not to badly!
He bought the car and put it into the ditch the first week. He was fine and the car just had minor damage to the front fender. He drove it for a couple of years after that. Sold it to a 17 year old buddy who totalled it in the first week (hit a pole). Just for comparison purposes, this was a 12 second car.
My point is that a 450hp, 12 second car is quite fast and can also be a handful for those not used to driving such a powerful vehicle.

Dave