Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
ash72eagles
CF Newbie

85 crown vic over heating

i have a 1985 crown victoria. its got a very small whole in the radiator about the size of a pencil lead that i cant get to seal. i was wondering if a blown head gasket or a cracked head could be putting pressure into the water jacket and keeping the whole from sealing up. if you know the answer plz let me know. and if you havve any other advice im open for any of it.
thanks
ash72eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
jarvisx2000
CF Enthusiast

Wouldn't the best solution be getting a new or even a refurbished rad, I don't believe they are that expensive. I got a nice three core rad new for around $250.
jarvisx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
ash72eagles
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvisx2000
Wouldn't the best solution be getting a new or even a refurbished rad, I don't believe they are that expensive. I got a nice three core rad new for around $250.
im trying to find out if i have a cracked head or blown head gasket. im tryin to save some work for myself here man.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
jarvisx2000
CF Enthusiast

Apparently I dont understand your problem, how are you trying to get this hole to seal?
jarvisx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
ash72eagles
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvisx2000
Apparently I dont understand your problem, how are you trying to get this hole to seal?
yes im trying to seal the whole with stop leak. but i have a cracked head or blown head gasket releasing pressure into the water jacket then the whole wont seal right. and i dont want to take the heads off till i know thats the problem. and as for buying a radiator. if i have to buy heads then i cant buy a radiator.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Pretty much the only way to know for sure is to take the heads off, it may take some time but it is the most reassuring thing you will ever do
Old 06-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned

It would be best to take the heads off and see. I know you wont be able to drive it while your doing it obviously, but its either that or a blown engine buddy.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
ash72eagles
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
It would be best to take the heads off and see. I know you wont be able to drive it while your doing it obviously, but its either that or a blown engine buddy.
ok and can anyone post a picture of the throttle position sensor and tell me the exact locations of it.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
wtf i mean cmon you arent that stupid are you, rad seal is crap and your lucky if it ever works cuz 13-15 pounds of pressure is alot, just replace the rad you cheap asshole, orgo pulling off heads thinking you have a head gasket leak or sumthing, keep those mechanics in buisness
Old 06-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
wtf i mean cmon you arent that stupid are you, rad seal is crap and your lucky if it ever works cuz 13-15 pounds of pressure is alot, just replace the rad you cheap asshole, orgo pulling off heads thinking you have a head gasket leak or sumthing, keep those mechanics in buisness

that's kinda abrasive, but i kinda agree, too. you already know you need a radiator. stop dumping stop leak in it (that stuff is terrible) and either solder up the leak or replace the radiator. if you're leaking badly and releasing pressure, the car WILL overheat, as you're lowering the boiling point of the mix, and you're also losing coolant. if you fix that, you might very well stop overheating. and tearing the engine down is NOT the only way to find a head gasket leak. fix the radiator and if you're still overheating, then we'll talk some more, and if all your other ducks are in a row and we're not just shouting "head gasket" in the dark b/c of a coolant leak or stuck thermostat, then we can tell you how to figure out which head gasket is blown and probably even which cylinders are involved w/o even taking a valve cover off...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
ash72eagles
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
that's kinda abrasive, but i kinda agree, too. you already know you need a radiator. stop dumping stop leak in it (that stuff is terrible) and either solder up the leak or replace the radiator. if you're leaking badly and releasing pressure, the car WILL overheat, as you're lowering the boiling point of the mix, and you're also losing coolant. if you fix that, you might very well stop overheating. and tearing the engine down is NOT the only way to find a head gasket leak. fix the radiator and if you're still overheating, then we'll talk some more, and if all your other ducks are in a row and we're not just shouting "head gasket" in the dark b/c of a coolant leak or stuck thermostat, then we can tell you how to figure out which head gasket is blown and probably even which cylinders are involved w/o even taking a valve cover off...
thanks for the help. but it doesn't matter which gasket is blown or which head is cracked if i have to replace gaskets im gonne replace them all and if its a head cracked ill replace both of them. i cant offord to go buy a new radiator and heads or gaskets. so there for i can only do one or the other right now.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash72eagles
thanks for the help. but it doesn't matter which gasket is blown or which head is cracked if i have to replace gaskets im gonne replace them all and if its a head cracked ill replace both of them. i cant offord to go buy a new radiator and heads or gaskets. so there for i can only do one or the other right now.

exactly. we know that you have a hole (or "whole") in the radiator and that can cause the problems you are describing, so fix it already. you will prob stop overheating and thinking you have a blown head gasket. YOU MAY ONLY HAVE TO DO ONE THING TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM!! but either way, we know for sure what one of the problems is. if you change the head gaskets as opposed to changing the radiator (don't worry about cracking a cast 302 head--that takes some serious doing) you're gonna still overheat b/c your radiator is f*cked! to paraphrase "rush hour" --- do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? if the radiator has the hole in a repairable area, you can take it to a radiator shop and get it fixed for a fraction of the cost of a new radiator, so try that first. otherwise, stop asking questions that you don't want answers to...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote