Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2005, 06:44 PM   #46
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well i'l give ya the benefit of some of my experiance just for kicks, we had an e-350 van with a v10 aluminum heads the guy came in saying it was super loud so i went out and sur enough it was super loud, the rear plug on the right bank blew outa the whole, i gave him options
A. try to get tap down the hole and a heli-coil kit to put a new thread down inside, risking metal filings in the motor(but minimalising with grease or so ive been told
b. pull the head and do it proper was about 11 or 12 hours labour
c. the motor has 200,000kms and has been overheated once, so i suggested about 12 hours labour pull motor and replace with one that had 100,000kms from a wrecker and was nice and clean runner.
he wanted to keep the van so we put a used motor in and put new plugs in with proper torque specs(AND NO ANTI-SIEZE)
i agree with dude there about the antisieze thing cuz if they are my return customers i know when they need tune ups and i was the last to put the plugs in, if your a cheap asshole and never change plugs and you think they'll be in for 3-5-10 years then sure grease em up cheapy, but i would never apply any lubricant to somethin g with crucial specs unless stated in book like head bolts that must be oiled is the only that ive seen so far, and just think anytime you take it to a shop, can u guess how many techs forget to spray the dirt out of your sprak plug hole b4 they pull the plug have you ever seen how much dirt will fall in the cylinder.....oops but they wont tell you they ****ed up and will just put the new plugs in and fire it up, i can't help you here man just do it right pull the head. save yourself the ehadache
Old 06-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #47
C c C
CF Enthusiast

well i have almost completely removed the head.. harder than i thought. to get off the timing belt and cam gear, do i have to jack the engine up and remove the left engine mount? also, should i take out my radiator so i have room for my headers to lean back so i dont have to remove the whole dam thing to get the head out?
C c C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #48
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C c C
well i have almost completely removed the head.. harder than i thought. to get off the timing belt and cam gear, do i have to jack the engine up and remove the left engine mount? also, should i take out my radiator so i have room for my headers to lean back so i dont have to remove the whole dam thing to get the head out?

couldn't find a socket, eh?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote