Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
vicious
CF Newbie

Why do so many "tuners" get hondas?

With all the other choices for inexpensive cars that have a lot of available after market parts out there, around 85 percent of the people I see with modded cars have either a civic or an accord. Why is this? Whats so special about them, because Im begining to really hate these clone drivers.
vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

Because the insurance on them is low. But yeah, I was considering buying a 1988 Prelude Si VTEC. But I decided not to, theyre great, reliable cars, but to many people have them. Me, Im doing a tuner build up, but not with a Honda. Im going to take a 1995 Saturn SL2 Twin Cam and take the engine out of a wrecked 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V and drop it into the Saturn. Something no one has done. I like doing things like that, people should try things like this in the tuner world and not just stick to Hondas.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Ghost
CF Newbie

I don't really know what the big deal is with Hondas. Personally I think the only one worth getting is a Prelude. MAYBE the new accord, but thats just cause I like the body styling.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Because the insurance on them is low. But yeah, I was considering buying a 1988 Prelude Si VTEC. But I decided not to, theyre great, reliable cars, but to many people have them. Me, Im doing a tuner build up, but not with a Honda. Im going to take a 1995 Saturn SL2 Twin Cam and take the engine out of a wrecked 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V and drop it into the Saturn. Something no one has done. I like doing things like that, people should try things like this in the tuner world and not just stick to Hondas.
Oh, so kinda like my idea for a 1995 rear wheel drive Civic with a 350 sbc? Keep it looking like a stock Civic (regular 'ricer' look) but have under the hood look more like domestic muscle kinda. Use it to smoke people when they think they have a shitty little Civic beat before they take off. You know your screwed when you hear it rev up and see smoke from the REAR wheels. Still thinking of plans for future project (theres a thread i started about it).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Honda has so many compatible aftermarket performance parts out that you can make a civic do the 1/4 mile in 7-8 seconds (god forbid) beating a very expensive Ferrari
Old 05-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I don't really know what the big deal is with Hondas. Personally I think the only one worth getting is a Prelude. MAYBE the new accord, but thats just cause I like the body styling.
No S2000 for you? Or how about the NSX?

Quote:
Honda has so many compatible aftermarket performance parts out that you can make a civic do the 1/4 mile in 7-8 seconds (god forbid) beating a very expensive Ferrari

The only civic I've heard of running 7s, is the AEM one, and that's a RWD platform with a NSX engine. Just a civic shell, not a B16 motor.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus

The only civic I've heard of running 7s, is the AEM one, and that's a RWD platform with a NSX engine. Just a civic shell, not a B16 motor.

I always thought the AEM Civic was just an engine swap and a lot of tuning
Old 05-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
Racer14
CF Newbie

Simple
Cause they're AWSOME!!
to all who hate honda's FU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pimp honda of racer14.jpg (23.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Ghost
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus

No, I've never been a fan of the S2000. Not my style. And I think the NSX is kinda ugly. I've driven both, and I must say that they were nice rides...but again, just not my style.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
CarEXPERT
Banned

Arnt CRX's the best for racing cause therre so light?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Accord_Man
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14
Simple
Cause they're AWSOME!!
to all who hate honda's FU

how do you like your black widow kit, i was strongly considering a black widow II kit for my 98 accord. Are they reliable?
thx

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious
With all the other choices for inexpensive cars that have a lot of available after market parts out there, around 85 percent of the people I see with modded cars have either a civic or an accord. Why is this? Whats so special about them, because Im begining to really hate these clone drivers.

For the same reason that so many hot rodders used Chevies, when there were equivalent Ford, Chrysler, and AMC products that did the same job or had almost as much aftermarket.

It was simply the first major manufacturer to be modded heavily in that market, and it became "the thing to have." Ask any Chevy fan why they use Chevies instead of Fords or Chryslers, or any Chrysler or Ford fan why they use those.

Honda had a larger international racing presense than most of the other Japanese imports, and had a solid platform to build from from the early '80s. it's aftermarket grew faster and larger than the rest, and only recently has it been getting real competition for aftermarket presense. Same thing happened with the small block Chevy in the late '50s. So in the '60s and '70s, even though the other manufacturers had good product with good aftermarket support, Chevies still cost slightly less to mod, and had more parts, and a larger following.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Because the insurance on them is low. But yeah, I was considering buying a 1988 Prelude Si VTEC. But I decided not to, theyre great, reliable cars, but to many people have them.

And so you have a Fox chassis Mustang, which has been done to death and has a reputation of being a redneck ride, and a belly button car. No difference in reputation outside it's own ranks to the Civic crowd (and almost no difference in teh ratio of poseurs to fast examples, and even a lot of teh fast examples have a bad reputation).

The point is, don't use a car or brand's popularity be a reason for or against owning a car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious

Because Honda's aftermarket is huge...simply put. On a side note are there REALLY THAT many Accords? I swear I see at least 10 riced Civics next to 1 Accord.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #15
Racer14
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_Man
how do you like your black widow kit, i was strongly considering a black widow II kit for my 98 accord. Are they reliable?
thx
well I didnt really have it too long, the car was DEMOLISHED in a crash, so i guess if you want a black widow II, dont drive where drunks live