Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
sc0rched
CF Newbie

325i vs. TSX

Ok, well the subject really describes it well.. I am buying a car and have it narrowed down between two, I have test driven both of them and they both handle well. Performance wise the BMW seems like the more logical choice, it has more get up and go because of its torque and RWD. However, the Acura keeps up quite well for its size and its smaller engine. Acura takes it up in the features and is much more roomy. The more I look at the facts of the car the more the option becomes a blur. They both have very good high points. I am looking for people who have driven these cars or know flaws or things that are often overlooked on these cars to provide some insight into which would be the best choice. The 10-15 minute test drive didn't do enough justice for both the cars, but it atleast gave me a feel for them.

The car will be driven daily, and I want something that will offer functionality and also be 'sporty' and fun to drive. I dont carry much usually in the car, however, I attend frequent LAN parties (I am a techy what can i say?). I want the car to be mostly reliable which both will be, even though BMW will cost more to repair.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

My personal opinion is to go for the Acura TSX. Like you said it will last a long time, but if something does break, it won't cost a fortune to fix. Another thing you mentioned was the amount of horsepower compared to the gas mileage, which is excellent in the Acura. I also like how the TSX comes fully loaded at around $27,000 - $30,000, which is cheaper than the BMW when similarly equipped. The Acura is probably sporty enough so I would lean more towards the TSX. But, once again, a personal opinion. Good Luck!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. My first conclusion was the Acura, and I was placing an order 2004 to be shipped here, but it had already been sold just hours ago . It also gave me some time to rethink the situation and thats when I started thinking about the BMW again. The prices for them are fairly the same. I probley should have mentioned I was looking at an 02-03 BMW and 04 Acura. I found several BMWs and probley the best deal was one for $27,000 and only 18,000. The Acura thats the best deal right now is $26,350 and 15,000 miles. The difference in the original cost isn't much.

The horsepower to gas milage is nice on the Acura, and air:gas ratio in the compression so I could almost get away with regular gas without worrying. The decision has been going around in my brain for 2 days now, and still havn't come up with an answer. Its good to get some feedback though it helps
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Spring for the TSX. Just to compare these two cars you have to tack on a bunch of features on the Bimmer putting it way over the TSX sticker price. Plus, the TSX has a little more power and to me is just as sporty if not more sporty than a 325 (afterall they seem to be beating them up all the time in Speed world Challenge ). Interior goes hands down to the Acura. I honestly cant believe they stuck an interior THAT nice in a $26k car (cars in the $50k range dont see that nice of interior these days...). The powerplant is much more fun in the TSX with its high reving big four and i-vtec is a hoot too. Just for fun (You might have to sign up but it's worth it...) here are some videos of a TSX dyno run.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=3

Scroll down to the picture and the videos are listed below it. They gained 10hp to the wheels with only an intake and header. In the second video they run through all the gears until the car's limiter kicks in at 135mph. Notice it takes less than 22 seconds to get to 135mph.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 05-17-2005 at 01:01 AM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 AM   #5
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

I'd go with the TSX, too. There are too many bimmers out there and are nothing special anumore. Also the TSX can keep up with the 325i if you get the 6 speed manual. and yeah in terms of reliability, gas miledge, options...it's a better buy. Oh, I would also consider the new G35 Sedan. It will outperform both cars by far.

Question: Acura TSX = Honda Accord? Are they the same cars with different badging? http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img..._2002_03_m.jpg
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_7702
Question: Acura TSX = Honda Accord? Are they the same cars with different badging? http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img..._2002_03_m.jpg
If you're asking whether the TSX and Accord are the same, they partly are. The TSX is a rebadged and spiffed up version of the Honda Accord sold in Europe.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Hmm... Ill take a look at the G35.. Also what about the Audi A4 or Saab 9-3? How do they compare? Anyone have any serious problems/dislikes with them? I dont even know of a Saab dealer close to my area, so service would be lacking, but I know of places to buy one...I am liking the TSX, however, finding cars now has been a pain since it was released in 2004. They seem to sell like hot cakes at the stores, or have high milage. Its almost to the point where a new one would be a better option, but too pricy.

And yes the TSX is a rebaged European Accord with a few changes. They upped the shocks, put in a bigger engine, put in better transmision, and made almost everything standard with the vehicle that were options with the Euro Accord. Also, incase your not familiar with that the Euro Accord is smaller than the American Accord, but bigger than the Civic.

Last edited by sc0rched : 05-17-2005 at 09:18 PM.
sc0rched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0rched
Hmm... Ill take a look at the G35.. Also what about the Audi A4 or Saab 9-3? How do they compare? Anyone have any serious problems/dislikes with them? I dont even know of a Saab dealer close to my area, so service would be lacking, but I know of places to buy one...I am liking the TSX, however, finding cars now has been a pain since it was released in 2004. They seem to sell like hot cakes at the stores, or have high milage. Its almost to the point where a new one would be a better option, but too pricy.

And yes the TSX is a rebaged European Accord with a few changes. They upped the shocks, put in a bigger engine, put in better transmision, and made almost everything standard with the vehicle that were options with the Euro Accord. Also, incase your not familiar with that the Euro Accord is smaller than the American Accord, but bigger than the Civic.

G35 will be faster than a TSX, but that's it. Interior and handling still go to the TSX. All depends on what you want, for what it's worth, the TSX is more of a car than the G35 IMO.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote