Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Torque: What exactly is it?

Someone please explain how torque works!

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag

Torque, is the twisting force that something is generating.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte.htm

Check out that site, and it'll be a 5 minutes well spent.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Did I hear... Torque?

DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:41 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

... so should someone explain the difference between torque and power?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag

It's a measurement that was obscured in the past, used mainly by engineers who understood such things, but has surfaced in later quarter of the 20th century thanks mainly to internet car forums. It is used to manufacture evidence that highly efficient non V8 engines are lacking in credibility against the big blocks they have surplanted.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #6
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
It's a measurement that was obscured in the past, used mainly by engineers who understood such things, but has surfaced in later quarter of the 20th century thanks mainly to internet car forums. It is used to manufacture evidence that highly efficient non V8 engines are lacking in credibility against the big blocks they have surplanted.

"surplanted" Wonder how many people you've sent to the books looking for that word ? ME for one. Check the spelling. I can't spell for crap.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

I was thinking usurped and then supplanted and unconsciously came up with a hybrid.

The horsepower torque thing is so yesterday. It's like the 1990's under square long stroke engines give more torque because of bigger pin throws.

Last edited by Wally : 05-17-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

Think about this, Wally, if your brain can handle it... If torque wasn't important, than those tiny little "highly efficient" engines wouldn't need gear f*cking multiplication to increase torque to the wheels to get them to accellerate like those big blocks... gearing doesn't multiply hp, it multiplies TORQUE.

Assclown.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Did I hear... Torque?

Don't start Dodge...

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Think about this, Wally, if your brain can handle it... If torque wasn't important, than those tiny little "highly efficient" engines wouldn't need gear f*cking multiplication to increase torque to the wheels to get them to accellerate like those big blocks... gearing doesn't multiply hp, it multiplies TORQUE.

Assclown.

And of course, torque doesn't matter jack if that torque isn't producing any work.

There are 2 ways to make power. RPMs and Torque. Granted, without torque there isn't RPMs, but without enough RPMs, there isn't very much work. Is one better than the other, though? Well, that's up to you to decide. I, however, choose RPMs.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
And of course, torque doesn't matter jack if that torque isn't producing any work.

There are 2 ways to make power. RPMs and Torque. Granted, without torque there isn't RPMs, but without enough RPMs, there isn't very much work. Is one better than the other, though? Well, that's up to you to decide. I, however, choose RPMs.

Fine. Put a 150 hp, 14,000 rpm bike engine in a car. See if it works as well as a 150 hp, 6000 rpm 4 cyl for daily driving.

This is going to be like the hp/liter argument. A Cox .049 engine makes 450-500 hp-liter. And hey, it'll rev to 20k rpm. See how well it works in a street car. great hp/liter, high rpms. What's it lacking?

My RX3 made 150 hp at 9250rpm, and was a bunch of fun, and ran 13s in the 1/4. It also made no useable power below 3500 rpm, had to have 4.30:1 gears and short tires to even accellerate that well, and had lousy driveability for anything but racetrack use, where you could keep the rpms up.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Racer14
CF Newbie

Torque is how hard you hit the wall, Horse Power is how far you drag it behind you!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
DodgeRida67
Banned

You can't have horsepower without torque, and torque without horsepower is worthless. Remember this and you'll understand.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Fine. Put a 150 hp, 14,000 rpm bike engine in a car. See if it works as well as a 150 hp, 6000 rpm 4 cyl for daily driving.

This is going to be like the hp/liter argument. A Cox .049 engine makes 450-500 hp-liter. And hey, it'll rev to 20k rpm. See how well it works in a street car. great hp/liter, high rpms. What's it lacking?

My RX3 made 150 hp at 9250rpm, and was a bunch of fun, and ran 13s in the 1/4. It also made no useable power below 3500 rpm, had to have 4.30:1 gears and short tires to even accellerate that well, and had lousy driveability for anything but racetrack use, where you could keep the rpms up.

As much as I would like your opinion, I would rather have someone who actually knows something to insult me. You may be very good at parroting articles on the net, but you really don't have the aptitude or knowledge to promulgate a factual piece yourself. You continue to make yourself look naive by resorting to insulting me to add weight to some nonsensical notion that power can't exist without torque. I don't have to prove myself son, I have the runs on the board and don't need to brag about how many cars I paid a mechanic to modify.

Perhaps you can tell us what would happen if you put a motorbike engine rated at 150hp up against a V8 engine also with 150 hp to see which one would toe the other.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
There are 2 ways to make power. RPMs and Torque.
Actually there is one way to make your car move, RPMs & Torque working togethor at the correct time to give you what you want when you want.

EDIT: And by the way, you can have all the torque in the world, with little horsepower, and not be able to move your car. You can have all the horsepower in the world, and not have much torque, and also not get anywhere.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 05-17-2005 at 10:37 PM.