Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
Vlad
CF Addict

Gas mileage question

Hi, I have a few questions concerning gas mileage. Mainly what happens to it as you add performance parts to the car. I have heard lots of different stuff, and I don't know who to believe. It seems that generally the more hp an engine has, the worse the mpg. (Compare Lancer ES to Lancer Evolution, both 2.0L 4 cyclinders.) But people have told me that if you add an intake and better exhaust, you will get better gas mileage and more hp. I remember seeing an add in a newspaper for putting dual exhausts on trucks, said adds up to 35hp and 5 mpg.

What about turbos and superchargers? They force more air and fuel into each cyclinder right? This would mean they burn more fuel and thus get worse gas mileage wouldn't it? But then alot of my friends claim that turbochargers actually save gas... If you have a manual boost controller on a turbocharged car, would this mean that you can "turn off" the turbo when just driving from point A to point B, and get the same gas mileage you would without the turbo, and only turn on the boost when you want to go fast?

Thanks.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
But people have told me that if you add an intake and better exhaust, you will get better gas mileage and more hp.

This allow the engine to intake air and exhaust gases easier and faster.

Quote:
What about turbos and superchargers? They force more air and fuel into each cyclinder right? This would mean they burn more fuel and thus get worse gas mileage wouldn't it? But then alot of my friends claim that turbochargers actually save gas...

A turbocharged car can be more fuel efficient than a similarly supercharged one. If the turbo kicks in in the higher rpms, you can just keep the rpms low and the turbo won't even kick in, achieving better fuel economy. The supercharger is working at (?) all (?) rpms.

Quote:
If you have a manual boost controller on a turbocharged car, would this mean that you can "turn off" the turbo when just driving from point A to point B, and get the same gas mileage you would without the turbo, and only turn on the boost when you want to go fast?

I don't believe you can just "turn off" a turbocharger. The engine and exhaust system is set up to work with a turbo. I will allow others to flesh out this answer as I am not quite sure.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
Vlad
CF Addict

Thanks for replying.

Quote:
This allow the engine to intake air and exhaust gases easier and faster.

Yea, I know what it does, but how does it affect fuel economy. Seems logical that if the gases are moving faster and easier it should improve gas mileage, but I'm not sure.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
Thanks for replying.

Yea, I know what it does, but how does it affect fuel economy. Seems logical that if the gases are moving faster and easier it should improve gas mileage, but I'm not sure.

The engine doesn't have to work to exhaust gas and can put air into the cylinder faster. Intake and exhaust are more important for higher rpms, or for turbos (at high rpms).
Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
flamingheads
CF Newbie

You could turn a turbo "off" by keeping the wategate open. I dont know if you could do that with just a boost controller or if it would be a smart thing to do but you could do it.
flamingheads is offline   Reply With Quote