Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Neverendd
CF Newbie

safe use of high-beams on highway?

I would like to find out the "definitive" recommended safe use of highbeams on divided highways. My understanding it that one should not drive in the left-most lane (to avoid blinding traffic on the other side of the highway) but the middle and/or right lane of a four or six or eight lane highway is fine with high-beams, and and that one should/must dim highbeams when less than 200 feet of a car in front. I've done a google search and come up with nothing! Can anyone inform or guide me to a useful source? AAA has nuttin'! National transportation safety seems to have nuttin'!

Neverendd@yahoo.com
Neverendd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I don't think there really is a definite rule, more so it's just best judgement. I turn the brights off if I see a car coming in the other direction, unless its really far off in the distance, or if the highway has some kind of a light shield or barrier between the lanes. I also turn them off if I come upon a car traveling in the same direction as me that's in front of me. Really it's just best judgement about a common courtesy.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

u can drive on any lane u want at any time u want as long as u are going in the right direction, thats wat they were created for. but as hondaman said, it is just plain courtesy to turn down the highbeams if u see any oncoming cars, and hope they do the same for u as a sign of noticed respect. not everyone will do this, trust me, i drive at night for half an hour every time i go home from my g/f's house and many ppl do not return the generosity, specially around the area she lives where i think ppl have serious educational problems (to think she lives inside one of the rich ppl places and is sorrounded by areas with crackwhores and such).

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
jackslap
CF Newbie

Go out on a night to an area where there are trees or buildings on both sides of the road and turn your highbeams on and look to see how wide periferally they light things up. There are some divided highways that are widely spaced but most are quite close together, so your lights can easily blind the other driver Around here you better dim your lights 500 feet behind another vehicle, it is law around here.
jackslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
Vlad
CF Addict

If I remember correctly from driver's ed, you have to turn off your brights within 500 feet of a car coming the opposite direction and within 200 feet of a car in front of you going the same direction.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote