Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Manual Transision

HOw do you check, fill, and change a MANUAL transmission FLUID?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Generally speaking you have a drain plug obviously to drain the fluid or gear oil and you have a fill plug obviously used to add fluid or gear oil. Usually when the gear oil or fluid is level with the fill plug, it's full.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Generally speaking you have a drain plug obviously to drain the fluid or gear oil and you have a fill plug obviously used to add fluid or gear oil. Usually when the gear oil or fluid is level with the fill plug, it's full.

So there is a drain plug at the bottom and a FILL PLUG also at the bottom? Isnt it hard to fill like that?

And for the check fluid, do you check with the drain plug or fill plug or is there a third plug? Thanks DR!
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
So there is a drain plug at the bottom and a FILL PLUG also at the bottom? Isnt it hard to fill like that?
I never said that. Fill plug is usually half way to upward 3/4s of the tranny. Drain plug is usually at or very near the bottem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
And for the check fluid, do you check with the drain plug or fill plug or is there a third plug? Thanks DR!
You check it with the fill plug. Like I already said, when the fluid or gear oil is level with the fill plug it's full.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
So the fill plug is facing upwards or sidewards? I mean is the fill hole facing upwards or side?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
So the fill plug is facing upwards or sidewards? I mean is the fill hole facing upwards or side?
The fill plug is on the side of the transmission.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
The fill plug is on the side of the transmission.

Thank you dodge. So when you check the fluid level, does the engine need to be running or does it need to be hot but at opperating temperature.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Thank you dodge. So when you check the fluid level, does the engine need to be running or does it need to be hot but at opperating temperature.
Check it off and cold.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Check it off and cold.
same for automatic?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
same for automatic?
No. Autos usually are checked when at normal operating temp. in either P or N.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #11
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
In my 323, you have to take out the speedometer gear adapter, and it has marks on it. Its on the top of the tranny, and has a cable coming from it. Careful though, I broke the flimsy aluminum flange holding it down last time i checked mine.

Most cars don't use this method though, so check your manual.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.