Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
Vandros
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17
Mitsubishi 3000GT Advice? =)

Well, Im definately looking at the Mitsubishi 3000GT as a car to work towards and all, I love the look of this one specifically, just wondering of how much these suckers (used) go for around your area? I think this is 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

Thanks :]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DreamCar.jpg (96.7 KB, 21 views)
Vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
6000LE
Banned
 
6000LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 832
when they began they were pricey
around 20k i think
now u can find one for around 5k
not bad money for a nice car
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandros
Well, Im definately looking at the Mitsubishi 3000GT as a car to work towards and all, I love the look of this one specifically, just wondering of how much these suckers (used) go for around your area? I think this is 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

Thanks :]

Personally I'd get a 300ZX over a 3000GT anyday... A bit lighter (well by 300lbs nearly in TT form) and the engine is a bit better

If you're looking at non-turbo 3000GT's just stop right there. They are strictly TOURING cars and are not sporty by any means. Not only are they FWD and have 220hp, but also weigh about 3350lbs (in the 2nd gen SL form). Which means they have about the same power/weight ratio as a 98-02 Accord V6 Coupe (a 03-05 Accord V6 coupe would blow away a 3000GT SL...). I'd look into a 300ZX N/A V6 (at least its RWD and weighs 150lbs less than a 3000GT SL). They have about the same power as the 3000GT SL but are much more sporty and just a quicker car.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandros
Well, Im definately looking at the Mitsubishi 3000GT as a car to work towards and all, I love the look of this one specifically, just wondering of how much these suckers (used) go for around your area? I think this is 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

Thanks :]

If I were you i would go with an early model vr4. AWD, AWS, twin turbo, etc. They had about 20 hp less then the 2nd gen but the only difference is that the 2nd gen had about 2psi more on the turbos. Dial that up even more and you got well over 320hp without spending a dime. Not to mention that a 92 VR4 would cost about the same if not less than a 96 SL. And a heck of alot quicker. They're all over the place on autotrader.com. I really recommend it. You could probably get a vr4 for cheaper and then if you already have your 6k u can use the spare change for mods.

Good luck!
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
If I were you i would go with an early model vr4. AWD, AWS, twin turbo, etc. They had about 20 hp less then the 2nd gen but the only difference is that the 2nd gen had about 2psi more on the turbos. Dial that up even more and you got well over 320hp without spending a dime. Not to mention that a 92 VR4 would cost about the same if not less than a 96 SL. And a heck of alot quicker. They're all over the place on autotrader.com. I really recommend it. You could probably get a vr4 for cheaper and then if you already have your 6k u can use the spare change for mods.

Good luck!

I think the whole reason he likes the 96 is because of the bodystyle (2g). The 1g 3000GT's look much different (probably uglier in his opinion I'd go to bet...).
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I think the whole reason he likes the 96 is because of the bodystyle (2g). The 1g 3000GT's look much different (probably uglier in his opinion I'd go to bet...).


That's true, 1st gen wasn't as pretty. But if it's the front end that he's worried about then there's always conversions! ... I'd take either one
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
That's true, 1st gen wasn't as pretty. But if it's the front end that he's worried about then there's always conversions! ... I'd take either one

I'll take my 92 300ZXTT and call it a day
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I'll take my 92 300ZXTT and call it a day

It would be a close race between a vr4 and a 300zxTT. AWD 4ws VS. A Light rwd nissan... I would probably take the Z, theres definetly a lot less of them on the road. Probably more mods for the anyway. I'd take RWD anyday . Man, when are they gunna turbocharge the 350z?
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
It would be a close race between a vr4 and a 300zxTT. AWD 4ws VS. A Light rwd nissan... I would probably take the Z, theres definetly a lot less of them on the road. Probably more mods for the anyway. I'd take RWD anyday . Man, when are they gunna turbocharge the 350z?

It's not really a close race per-se between a stock 300ZXTT and 3000GT VR4. The 300ZXTT has a few tenths on it in the 1/4 mile and would simply put a VR4 to shame around a road course. The VR4 simply weighs too much and is geared more toward comfortable touring than sports. The 300ZX Z32 came with 4 wheel steering as well (HICAS).

When will they turbocharge the 350Z from the factory? - Never
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Vandros
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17
What kind of 3000 GT this is...

Anyone know what kind this is? I have some pics... So I dont want a SL? Or do...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8e_1_b.jpeg (19.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 8a_1_b.jpeg (16.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg ad_1_b.jpeg (19.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Vandros : 05-24-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandros
Anyone know what kind this is? I have some pics... So I dont want a SL? Or do...?
I'm guessing its just the basic standard model so i think its the SL. There is nothing wrong with the SL, not as fast as some cars but its still good. It is a great car no matter what model it is. Definately worth the money you might end up spending.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I'm guessing its just the basic standard model so i think its the SL. There is nothing wrong with the SL, not as fast as some cars but its still good. It is a great car no matter what model it is. Definately worth the money you might end up spending.

It's a nice touring car, but far from a nice sports car. Nearly 3400lbs, FWD and 220hp doesnt equate to much fun even in a straight line.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
Vandros
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17
.

what in the heck makes it so heavy! Jeeez, oh well, is it possible to put in a VR4 engine or will it not fit?
Vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandros
what in the heck makes it so heavy! Jeeez, oh well, is it possible to put in a VR4 engine or will it not fit?

Second question is in the other thread...but the answer to your first question is that it's simply a big car (like the 300ZXTT) and has a lot of heavier luxury items in it (like them SL has leather/power seats etc...). These arent sport compact cars like a Civic or Integra. They are much bigger.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.