Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned

? need lil help?

how do you jump start a car using the battery. Ok.. so the positive go to the positive and the negative go to the dead cars battery but what about the negative of the good battery's car? Where is the "ground" or whatever you put it. and do you have to rev the engine when its connected?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=11142

Ask it there, and I'll answer it.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

are you asking how to jump a car?

all you have to do is connect positive to positive and negative to negative, because the negative side of your battery is already connected to a ground, that will work as one.

Then start the car with the good battery, then start the car with the bad battery.

BOOM your done.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
are you asking how to jump a car?

all you have to do is connect positive to positive and negative to negative, because the negative side of your battery is already connected to a ground, that will work as one.

Then start the car with the good battery, then start the car with the bad battery.

BOOM your done.

So on the dead battery, connet pos, neg and on the good battery pos, and negative also?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

No, no, no, no, no, bad, connecting the positive and negative terminals of a battery can result in an explosion.

Connect the positive side of the good battery to the positive side of the bad battery, and the negative side of the good battery to the negative side of the bad battery. The order you do it in isn't important.

also, if you have the positive and negative terminals of the charged battery hooked up to the cables, make sure the oppsite ends of the cables don't touch, as they will spark and doom will occour all over your face.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:13 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
No, no, no, no, no, bad, connecting the positive and negative terminals of a battery can result in an explosion.

Connect the positive side of the good battery to the positive side of the bad battery, and the negative side of the good battery to the negative side of the bad battery. The order you do it in isn't important.

also, if you have the positive and negative terminals of the charged battery hooked up to the cables, make sure the oppsite ends of the cables don't touch, as they will spark and doom will occour all over your face.

I want to make sure I understand.....So you hook up the bad battery first by connecting the black part to the red and the red to the black, then hook up the good battery with the opposite black to black and red to red while the car is running right?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I want to make sure I understand.....So you hook up the bad battery first by connecting the black part to the red and the red to the black, then hook up the good battery with the opposite black to black and red to red while the car is running right?
NO!!!

Hook the red part of the bad battery to the red part of the good battery and the black part of the bad battery to the black part of the good battery. They are the only two connections to be made. leave all the wires on the batteries that are already there.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 AM   #8
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
NO!!!

Hook the red part of the bad battery to the red part of the good battery and the black part of the bad battery to the black part of the good battery. They are the only two connections to be made. leave all the wires on the batteries that are already there.

Why? I thought the order didn't matter. If I pour some Drano into the engine, will that help?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 AM   #9
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Why? I thought the order didn't matter. If I pour some Drano into the engine, will that help?

lol...Yeah, and if I run my cars without any oil for a few days will the engine live?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
lol...Yeah, and if I run my cars without any oil for a few days will the engine live?

It should, but you have to rev it up too while the oil is draining out.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I've been told its better to hook up the positive first but that it doesnt really make a difference. We already had a problem with positive and negative connections touching in tech. class. We didnt have one battery connector so the kid used a wrench but accidentally touched both at once and kinda shocked himself and burnt part of the wrench, made a little spark show too lol. Its always gotta be pos. to pos. and neg. to neg.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:44 AM   #12
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:

eeerrrrr.......Do we have a new carexpert?

Quote:
I've been told its better to hook up the positive first but that it doesnt really make a difference. We already had a problem with positive and negative connections touching in tech. class. We didnt have one battery connector so the kid used a wrench but accidentally touched both at once and kinda shocked himself and burnt part of the wrench, made a little spark show too lol. Its always gotta be pos. to pos. and neg. to neg.

And if you do that on a car battery, say touch your watch to it, it'll melt the thing, and catch on fire.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:49 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
eeerrrrr.......Do we have a new carexpert?

And if you do that on a car battery, say touch your watch to it, it'll melt the thing, and catch on fire.
Nope, didnt see no fire but did see spark. And the kid just laughed about it. Then yesterday another kid did it when not paying attention.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 AM   #14
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
That better be sarcasm lol.....
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 AM   #15
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
That better be sarcasm lol.....

Yeah you swear this entire thread isn't sarcasm...come on now....I seriously hope no one is THAT stupid.