Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

240SX: Is It Worth It

Okay, i was looking around and i came across two Nissan 240SX. They are not sold together or located in the same place.

The first is a 1990 Nissan 240SX, all it says is: Thousands spent on new parts, starter, alt., tires, tank, timing chain, etc. $500 obo. (does not say mileage).

The second is a 1993 Nissan 240SX, it goes as: Manual, pw, pl, has front end damage. Eng. is still good, eng. back is in mint cond., good parts car, quick fix. 190,000 km. $350 obo.

I only have a small pic of the 1993 240SX

I was just wondering that if i was to buy what should i do, buy the 1990 240SX, 1993 240SX, or both? I'll be happy to listen to any and all opinions. Thanx for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 240sx.bmp (72.3 KB, 34 views)

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Personally I would buy both and part one out or use it as a parts car for the 1990 or vise-versa. Test drive both and see which one looks and drives decent and get that one if you don't want to buy both. Ask the people if they have all the maintenence records, repair costs, etc.. Why would you not want to get a better first car?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Personally I would buy both and part one out or use it as a parts car for the 1990 or vise-versa. Test drive both and see which one looks and drives decent and get that one if you don't want to buy both. Ask the people if they have all the maintenence records, repair costs, etc.. Why would you not want to get a better first car?
What do you mean by a 'better first car'? I myself love older cars but havent found anything nice and cheap. I'm only 15 so i cant drive yet anyways so theres no chance of me test driving them and also the 1993 has some front end damage.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

What I mean is why not find one that doesn't have any front end damage and has less miles
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
What I mean is why not find one that doesn't have any front end damage and has less miles
Oh okay, well it doesnt say mileage on the 1990 and its the 1993 with the damage and high mileage (although the 90' will to). One reason is because they are affordable (i can afford to buy them both) and you can probably make some money back by selling whatever parts you dont need. I'd rather fix up the 93' if the front end parts from the 90' would fit. I change my mind all the time about cars and so if i dont get these then no big deal, i'll move on to something else lol. I was just wondering what some other people thought and would maybe do.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Well think of this. You buy both the cars and then drive one and use the other one as a parts car or part em out and sell the parts on EBAY
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Well think of this. You buy both the cars and then drive one and use the other one as a parts car or part em out and sell the parts on EBAY
Thats an option i havent really thought about (the ebay). Thanx. Also, would the 90' and 93' parts be interchangable (body, engine, and whatever else)?

Old 05-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I have done some work on them and yes some of the engine parts are interchangable but the exterior is a different body style if I am correct.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Ok, i wasnt sure cause i dont know much about them. Thanx for your help and opinion. I appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy

No prob
Old 05-30-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
nissanTFsx
CF Enthusiast

if i were u, i wouldnt even spend money on that 93' 240sx (seems like a piece of trash to me in da pic). go check out the 90'...yea, it might seem like the mileage on that car must be HIGH since the seller didnt say anything about the mileage but there might be exceptions. cuz my 240 didnt have much mileage when i bought it...and the previous owner didnt even tell much about the car in his ad. He just said 91' 240sx, blk, hatchback and nothing more...by the time i went over to check it out...man, i was surprised. The paint was coo for a 91 car, all power, flip up roof....so i bought it!

but seriously, get something that has the least body damage as possible even tho they might be cheaper, but you will get ripped off by auto body shops when u go fix it...and it will take a while to get your car back.

"Being slow is NOT a crime..."
nissanTFsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:20 AM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanTFsx
if i were u, i wouldnt even spend money on that 93' 240sx (seems like a piece of trash to me in da pic). go check out the 90'...yea, it might seem like the mileage on that car must be HIGH since the seller didnt say anything about the mileage but there might be exceptions. cuz my 240 didnt have much mileage when i bought it...and the previous owner didnt even tell much about the car in his ad. He just said 91' 240sx, blk, hatchback and nothing more...by the time i went over to check it out...man, i was surprised. The paint was coo for a 91 car, all power, flip up roof....so i bought it!

but seriously, get something that has the least body damage as possible even tho they might be cheaper, but you will get ripped off by auto body shops when u go fix it...and it will take a while to get your car back.
Well the only reason i'd get the 93' is either to fix it (if the parts on the 90' would replace the damage on the 93') or as a parts car to the 90'. I'd do the work with the help of my dad, or take it into school and get help from the teacher. Any parts i dont need i would either try to sell and make some money back, or (depending what it is) keep it as a spare for the good car. The only problem is that to get both cars it'll take about 10 hours (i'm in Peterborough, and ones in Acton and the other is near London. If you know places in Ontario).

Old 05-30-2005, 05:30 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Any other idea/opinions? Gonna try to call them both tomorrow to find out more, i'll post more if i find anything else out.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
rsxdude
CF Newbie

really niether one sound good to me but as it would be your first car i would choose the 93'. Insurance would be cheap and you could mod it up to be a nice car...my girlfriend has a 95' 240sx SE... and im about to do a srt-20 swap on it for her... so yeah if you dont have that much money and want to mod it buy the 93' or buy both because the parts would fit and would probably run you lees in the long run for new ones.
rsxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #15
Oomba
Banned

Get both and mix and match whatever parts are still good on them
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote