Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
97Talonchik
discombobulated

LOL. I don't really plan on being a beyotch or anything. I'm actually a nice person. The only reason I took it back there in the first place is because they were the ones who put the fuel pump in and the warranty on it would be null and void if that turned out to be the problem and anyone else did any work on it. I asked them to call me before they did any work on it and they didn't. They ran a diagnostic and changed the gas cap. Granted they only charged me half price for the diagnostic, I still payed $44 for a gas cap. If they actually ran a diagnostic on it, does it give a printout and if so, should I request that?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 AM   #17
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
some shops can printout the diagnostics, most techs will just write the codes down and view the live data stream as they diagnose so there isn't much to printout, i would have them do it again for free because they did not fix the problem plain and simple,
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #18
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
some shops can printout the diagnostics, most techs will just write the codes down and view the live data stream as they diagnose so there isn't much to printout, i would have them do it again for free because they did not fix the problem plain and simple,

I took the car to AutoZone and had them run the diagnostic on it again (since it's free there) and it came up the same code. He went ahead and cleared the code back off. While I was there, I went ahead and got some refrigerant with no leak in it, added it, and since then the light has not come back on. That was Sunday. Could the a/c have thrown an EVAP code? I thought the a/c was HVAC...I don't know. What I do know is I'm going to wait about a week and see what happens before I take it back to get tested and make sure the drive cycles have reset.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #19
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

i have a feeling the light will come back on, do you remember what the exact code your getting.. the number and all. i would say no the a/c system is a completely different system and shouldn't be tied in with the evap components but ive seen wierder stuff happen.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:20 AM   #20
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
i have a feeling the light will come back on, do you remember what the exact code your getting.. the number and all. i would say no the a/c system is a completely different system and shouldn't be tied in with the evap components but ive seen wierder stuff happen.

DANGIT BANFF...lol....you jixed me. Yeah the stinking light came back on today on the way back to work. It's gotta be some kind of leak in the EVAP but where oh where can it be. I suppose I could have the smoke test done on it, but how much does that cost typically?

The code is: P0442 EVAP system small leak detected
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #21
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

i wouldn't know ive never seen a leak thats that hard to find, that you would need to get out a smoke machine.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #22
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMan
I would disconenct the battery for about 20 mins that will kill the power to the computer an it would purge the codes Thing is if the light comes back on They didnt fix your problem. An if your luck is like mine then the tree idea.. I wouldnt go with it would end up landing on your house or your neighbors car. I am in the middle of a war with my olds an I am to the point of driving it into Lake Mead (Yes I am in Lost Wages NV) lol

Disconnecting the battery on an OBD2 system will not clear codes
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #23
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
DANGIT BANFF...lol....you jixed me. Yeah the stinking light came back on today on the way back to work. It's gotta be some kind of leak in the EVAP but where oh where can it be. I suppose I could have the smoke test done on it, but how much does that cost typically?

The code is: P0442 EVAP system small leak detected

lets apply some common sense before having a smoke test done - inspect all of the lines for cracks, breaks, not being connected from the intake manifold to the charcoal can to the fuel tank.. If this doesn't find the problem, a good shop manual for your Talon will provide the test procedures for checking the control valve (usually a solenoid valve controlled by the ECM) for leaks
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #24
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
lets apply some common sense before having a smoke test done - inspect all of the lines for cracks, breaks, not being connected from the intake manifold to the charcoal can to the fuel tank.. If this doesn't find the problem, a good shop manual for your Talon will provide the test procedures for checking the control valve (usually a solenoid valve controlled by the ECM) for leaks

Thanks, I'll have all the lines inspected....I know typically it's just something like a kink somewhere. I'll update on Tuesday or Wednesday when I know more.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #25
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Update:

I took my car back in to the shop today. I spoke with the mechanic who worked on it and he said he checked the lines, etc. already but did not check the fuel pump to make sure the seal was good (as I requested in the first place) . So, he said he would check it this time and is going to run the smoke test on it for FREE then get back to me. I also discussed the TSB's I found with him. I think they think I'm retarded now, but hey whatever fix my friggin car. I'll let you know when I hear something.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #26
srober32
CF Addict

Thanks for the u/d Talonchik, contrary to popular belief, we are concerned about the outcome of the posts on this site.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM   #27
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by srober32
Thanks for the u/d Talonchik, contrary to popular belief, we are concerned about the outcome of the posts on this site.

More info:
The smoke test was completed and no leaks were detected, so he says it has to be the LDP (leak detection pump). Which he also stated is $233 to replace, $171 for the pump and $62 for labor. I think I'm getting screwed...
Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 PM   #28
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
More info:
The smoke test was completed and no leaks were detected, so he says it has to be the LDP (leak detection pump). Which he also stated is $233 to replace, $171 for the pump and $62 for labor. I think I'm getting screwed...
By the sounds of it it wouldnt be the first time (that may sound bad but i dont mean it in a dirty way lol). Hopefully if you pay that then it will actually solve your problem. Maybe if you flirt a bit with the Mechanic he'll give you a little deal

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:15 AM   #29
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
More info:

i would think there has to be some way to test the pump besides process of elimination...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 AM   #30
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i would think there has to be some way to test the pump besides process of elimination...

That's what I would think......furthermore.....do you think I could get one of those from a junkyard and if I did do you think it would work? I mean like would it be worth saving a few bucks? I tried to find a better price online somewhere for a LDP, but I can't seem to locate any.