Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #31
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
That's what I would think......furthermore.....do you think I could get one of those from a junkyard and if I did do you think it would work? I mean like would it be worth saving a few bucks? I tried to find a better price online somewhere for a LDP, but I can't seem to locate any.

Ehhhh, maybe you shouldn't look into junkyard parts, if you want something cheaper, look into used parts that come with warrenty's
Old 06-23-2005, 02:27 AM   #32
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Ehhhh, maybe you shouldn't look into junkyard parts, if you want something cheaper, look into used parts that come with warrenty's

That's the problem...I can't even find the part PERIOD. Apparently Chrysler is the only company that has Leak Detection Pumps??
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #33
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
That's the problem...I can't even find the part PERIOD. Apparently Chrysler is the only company that has Leak Detection Pumps??

Well that sucks, the junkyard one would be an option, I guess there is nothing wrong with doing that its just that I like to buy new or used parts with a warrenty on them so I don't have to worry about the costs of repairing it.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #34
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Well that sucks, the junkyard one would be an option, I guess there is nothing wrong with doing that its just that I like to buy new or used parts with a warrenty on them so I don't have to worry about the costs of repairing it.

I don't know...I think I'll just take it to my mechanic see what he thinks.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 AM   #35
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
I don't know...I think I'll just take it to my mechanic see what he thinks.

You just got one mechanics opinion
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #36
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
You just got one mechanics opinion

UPDATE:

Get this. They tell me the LDP is $170 right? Chrysler is the only one who has LDP's. Being the super-anal person I am, I call Chrysler's part department just to check the price they quote me on an LDP. Guess what, it certainly wasn't $170. I called 3 dealerships and all three told me $110 for the part. Now where in the world does the other $60 come from? Hmmm.

I also was able to get the OEM's from them. I did an online search for the part and found a brand new one for $72. GO ME...lol. I did get a chance to speak to one of the tech's there and he said it could also be the Duty cycle purge solenoid which I was quoted $37 from Chrysler and found it as well online for $23. He said those can also cause that code as the solenoid is the thing that controls the LDP (it sits right on top of it).

Do you think it's worth replacing that first or should I take my chances and replace the LDP? How complicated would it be to replace (for instance I am wondering if I want to take on the task myself).
Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 AM   #37
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i would say do it yourself but i don't know how involving the job is, that would be the only way to avoid some punk basterd know it-all misdiagnosing your car and replacing whatever he thought was the probllem, your on the right track...and the price changes were probably parts guys just trying to make some money off the mark-up
Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #38
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
i would say do it yourself but i don't know how involving the job is, that would be the only way to avoid some punk basterd know it-all misdiagnosing your car and replacing whatever he thought was the probllem, your on the right track...and the price changes were probably parts guys just trying to make some money off the mark-up

Like I said earlier...I felt like I was getting screwed, that's why I double checked. I kindly went today and told them, "gee, I don't think I can afford that repair at this time, but thanks for looking!"
Old 06-24-2005, 01:38 AM   #39
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
nice.... thats what i said to the H&R block guys when they were gunna do my taxes and said i would get a whopping 400$ back, i double checked then went back.... i wasn't as nice as you though i asked the guy what he would benefit from scabbbing me outa of about another 1200$ he had no answer so i told him to stick it where the sun dont shine and i did em my self.... but i still havent gotten em back and am probably getting audited now....poop
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #40
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
nice.... thats what i said to the H&R block guys when they were gunna do my taxes and said i would get a whopping 400$ back, i double checked then went back.... i wasn't as nice as you though i asked the guy what he would benefit from scabbbing me outa of about another 1200$ he had no answer so i told him to stick it where the sun dont shine and i did em my self.... but i still havent gotten em back and am probably getting audited now....poop

sucks to be you
Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 PM   #41
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Haynes, Chiltons, All Data publish manuals with the dignostic procedures for the car

Then leak detection pump baffles me since most evap. fuel emmissions control systems are engine vacum,e driven systems controlled by a couple of solenoid valves.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:42 AM   #42
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I actually found the original Factory shop manuals (1 & 2) on Ebay for $30. I needed them anyways and it was a REALLY good price! Yes, the LDP is a wonderful Chrysler invention apparently. Here's Fords and Chryslers EVAP....
Old 06-25-2005, 04:23 AM   #43
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

After doing a little more homework, I now understand how this gizmo works

I agree with your assessment now. Things to check:

1. leak sources such as cracked or loose hoses (either/or vacume hoses, purge hoses or connection between fuel tank and carbon canister) or cracked carbon canister

2. Malfunctioning purge control solenoid valve (some of these duty cycle, others are proportional)

3. Malfunctioning fuel cap (will not hold pressure)

4. Leaks in hoses or seals around fuel tank

5. Leak detection pump (this gizmo also acts as the vent valve when the evap control system goes into a purge cycle)

Good luck - I have to take my 1990 Buick to the test center next month to see if it passes smog inspection
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #44
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
After doing a little more homework, I now understand how this gizmo works

I agree with your assessment now. Things to check:

1. leak sources such as cracked or loose hoses (either/or vacume hoses, purge hoses or connection between fuel tank and carbon canister) or cracked carbon canister

2. Malfunctioning purge control solenoid valve (some of these duty cycle, others are proportional)

3. Malfunctioning fuel cap (will not hold pressure)

4. Leaks in hoses or seals around fuel tank

5. Leak detection pump (this gizmo also acts as the vent valve when the evap control system goes into a purge cycle)

Good luck - I have to take my 1990 Buick to the test center next month to see if it passes smog inspection

Chrysler told me I have a duty cycle purge solenoid (the part is only $37). I figure once I get my service manuals, I'll change that out and see if it fixes the problem before changing out the LDP. Fuel Cap has been replaced and the lines have no kinks or leaks as a Smoke test was performed with no qualms. I'll continue updating when I get some more info, thanks for your input though!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:51 AM   #45
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr

You should be ok. On any car that is 1995 or newer they hook up the OBD. On 1994 or older, they just do the tailpipe test, visual and gas cap. My stepdad's 94 Sentra that didn't even have a cat on it passed (heheh although they didn't know it since the frame was there unscathed).