Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

79' Chevy Silverado, Where to Start

Okay, i had started a thread asking if it was worth restoring a 79' Chevy Truck. Well now the truck is mine so i can do what i want with it. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions or suggestions on where to start, should i try getting it running (starter) first or what? As i said in the other one, pretty much all body panels need attentions or replacement. Also, if anything, i'm gonna raise the truck, not lower it. I have some pics of it and will try to take some better/some this weekend but i dont know how to post them here (already on computer). They are kinda big in size and therefore wont fit in an attachment, should i just post them so there already open regardless of the size? I can send them to someone if they know a better way of doing it. Thanx in advance for your help.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

The absolute first thing you should do is get it running, then you can worry about the body. Check all the lines, hoses, clean the carb/get a new one, drain the old gas out at the bottom of the tank there should be a drain plug, drain the oil and put new in, take out the air filter to start it and then get a new one. I am getting tired of writing so that is all I have for now
Old 06-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
FordFromHell351
Banned

Get the thing running first, then get the body work done, then get it painted, etc.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
The absolute first thing you should do is get it running, then you can worry about the body. Check all the lines, hoses, clean the carb/get a new one, drain the old gas out at the bottom of the tank there should be a drain plug, drain the oil and put new in, take out the air filter to start it and then get a new one. I am getting tired of writing so that is all I have for now
Okay i thought that'd be first thing. I know brake lines should be good cause they were recently replaced. I need to get a starter for it cause when we tried to start it a couple months ago is was done, but it did turn over. The truck has 2 gas tanks and theres a bit in both (about 2 years old lol). As for the body i think i'm gonna replace most and try to fix what i can (the right way, no bondo). For the paint (when the time comes) i'll get my dad to do it cause he used to do that for a long time. Thanx for your suggestions, maybe i can get it started this weekend lol.

Also, since i have some pics, do you know how i can put them on (too big for attachments) or should i just put them straight on like this: (Never mind, i'll do it that way).

Old 06-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Old 06-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Now I feel like typing the rest. Flush the radiator and put antifreeze back in, check the serpentine belt/timing belt for cracks and slack, rotate the tires, check spark in plugs, check battery fluid, look for ripped/torn hoses and lines.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Really a nice truck BTW
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #8
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well its got no battery right now so thats not a problem, and would it not have a timing chain and not a belt? And thanx, i liked it and thought it was nice but wouldnt of thought someone else would say anything lol. The white car (85' Fifth Avenue) is the other car i might get lol.

BTW, the reason you see orange paint above the wheel wells is cause someone covered the rust with duct tape then painted over it.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

"Edit" Timing chain, happy now
Old 06-04-2005, 03:09 AM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
"Edit" Timing chain, happy now
Haha sure, if i can get it running lol. Bugged my dad enough for a project that he said its mine (doesnt want me putting EVERYTHING into it though).

Old 06-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #11
FordFromHell351
Banned

Have fun with all that rust there buddy
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Have fun with all that rust there buddy
Haha definately, it'll sure keep me occupied for a bit. AND i already have my tetnis so i'm good

Old 06-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #13
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Haha definately, it'll sure keep me occupied for a bit. AND i already have my tetnis so i'm good

imho, get it running and stopping, then start loading up what's left of the bed w/ parts. w/ the availability of '73-'87 chevy/gmc parts, it will be much more cost effective to just get replacement parts. just start collecting from swap meets and stuff. or get the 5th ave and drop a 440 in it...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
imho, get it running and stopping, then start loading up what's left of the bed w/ parts. w/ the availability of '73-'87 chevy/gmc parts, it will be much more cost effective to just get replacement parts. just start collecting from swap meets and stuff. or get the 5th ave and drop a 440 in it...
Haha well it stops, got newer brakes. I wasnt sure what year range of body parts would fit on it. I might also get the 5th Ave, but where would i find a cheap 440 lol. I think i'll stick with the truck for now.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #15
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Haha well it stops, got newer brakes. I wasnt sure what year range of body parts would fit on it. I might also get the 5th Ave, but where would i find a cheap 440 lol. I think i'll stick with the truck for now.

i'm sure there's a chevy truck website that lists all the minute differences between the '73-'87 chevy trucks from year to year. you front end design was used from '73-'79, for instance, and there's some weird little difference in the cabs somewhere in the early 80's, but i'm not sure. one of my friends was really good at identifying them. he took one look at one and could tell me what time frame all the parts were from... and this truck was a mutt...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote