Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #16
illusion34
CF Addict

o and wouldnt a 68 be real heavy?

wow i was looking at the 69 'stangs, and they were beautiful, how wuld the ydo with sme nice mods? are they real heavy? r any mustangs real heavy? and by the way, i heard that if u change th car from how it cam from the factory it illegal, meaning that engine mods, exhaust mods and stuff like that is illegal???

Last edited by illusion34 : 06-10-2005 at 01:57 PM.
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
It's a lot cheaper now to build a programmable EFI system thanks to Megasquirt. Junk the distributor and use Ford EDIS and you'll get adjustable ignition as well. Fuel economy alone will make it cheaper. Plus adjustments on the rolling road sessions will be quicker and more precise. There's no need to open the bonnet everytime to adjust the jets.

Carbs also responds badly to huge overlap cams compared to EFI. That's why not many racing cars use them anymore.

Megasquirt is nice, but you have to think abut this: changin to an EFI system means more than just the controlling computer. YOu have to have injectors, new intake manifolding to mount the injectors in, etc. If you use a TBI type system, it's just a glorified, computerized carburator, so you'd want individual injectors. But a carbed neigne isn't set up for that, so you have to invent all of it (not bad if there is a newer, injected version of the engine available, but not so easy if there isn't).

How hard is it to put that Ford distributor on a, say, air cooled VW engine? Or even a Ford 460, or a Chrysler 413 (like in my '72 motorhome)? There is a LOT to consider.

And for racing use, a well tuned carb makes as much or more power, reliably vs EFI in most cases. Of course, a lot of classes require carbs, too...

Yeah, a good EFI setup on a daily driver performance engine is the best overall route. But factoring costs in, and other factors, it's not ALWAYS the best actual route for a particular application. When I put my '63 Mercury Comet convertible together, I will be using a custom EFI setup, not because it's going to give me any real gains, but because in that particular application it'sll be a cool modification.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
o and wouldnt a 68 be real heavy?

wow i was looking at the 69 'stangs, and they were beautiful, how wuld the ydo with sme nice mods? are they real heavy? r any mustangs real heavy? and by the way, i heard that if u change th car from how it cam from the factory it illegal, meaning that engine mods, exhaust mods and stuff like that is illegal???

Nothing on '60s cars is illegal to do for the most part, as they are pre-emissions everywhere but California, and even in California, an EGR is the only required bit of equipment on a '69 model car. Changing the cam is not illegal. And in every other state, there are no regulations on mods on cars that old at all (other than say, bumper height and overall decibles they can put out)

My '70 Mustang (same thing as the '69, but with different grille and taillights) with a 302 in it weighed under 2900 lbs. in street form. Optioned up ones with big blocks weighed from there up to 3400 lbs. So overall, the weight is on par with modern sport coupes.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #19
illusion34
CF Addict

hey wjat u guys think about a 76 or 78 corvette, by the way, is there ne way to make old muscle cars handle like todays tuner cars? and what would be faster... a tricked out tuner car (400+ hp) or a sick a$$ muscle car ( atleast 600 hp or more)? im talking

track
strip
street
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote